Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karolina11_gw

Anyone in Zone 6 not mulch their roses?

Karolina11
10 years ago

I wasn't going to mulch until sometime in November due to the amount of voles and mice I saw out by the garden. However, we had three nights of high 20s and I panicked and ordered mulch without too much thought on how much I would need and of course I ordered too little. So, after I mulch the camellias, crepe myrtles, and other non-hardy plants, I don't have enough to mulch around all of my roses.

So my plan is to mulch the grafted roses, recently planted roses (>8 weeks) and the climbers and I think that is all I will be able to get. I have most of my younger own roots in a bed that gets wind protection but the rest of my own roots will be out in the open until I get some mulched leaves around them.

I am trying to figure out whether I absolutely need to order more mulch ($90 for delivery) or whether the own roots will make it with minimum protection. Does anyone in Zone 6 not mulch their roses?

To clarify - by mulching around roses I mean a few inches around the base of the plant.

Thanks for the help!

Comments (9)

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    10 years ago

If you get a lot of rain/snow like we do please be careful about pililing leaves or mulch around rose canes. I tried mulch and shredded oak leaves a few times and each time it caused severe canker on the canes here.

I put down wood chip mulch in April then will apply more mulch the following year or two years later in Spring.
    I keep the mulch a few inches away from the canes.

If you wait until colder weather to apply mulch the mice, voles, moles will more and likely have already found somewhere else to nest.

This post was edited by jim1961 on Sun, Oct 27, 13 at 21:47

• Karolina11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jim,
    Thanks for the tips Jim. We just moved from the State College area where I had no issues with the mulch to the Williamsport area so not sure what it'll do here since now I am in a valley and further north.

Maybe spring application of mulch will be better. I just hate how quickly I disturb the spring mulch with all of the planting and moving I do. I was trying to mulch later but this sharp temperature drop made me think I needed to get it done.

• catsrose
    10 years ago

I don't mulch. I just mother nature do her things and leave the leaves in the beds on the theory that roses have been surviving thus for millenia. If a rose can't survive, It probably shouldn't be planted in my zone. By and large, people over-mulch. We've been sold on the idea by the lumber industry; it found a way to make money off bark, which is otherwise useless. Mother nature also has a solution for moles and voles: cats.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

If you plant your grafted roses 1-2 inches below the soil line (which is what you should do in Zone 6), you don't really need to winter mulch for protection. In fact, I mulch nothing for winter protection. I mulch for summer protection--to conserve moisture and to hold down the weeds.

If you do winter mulch, it should be done AFTER a hard freeze (like in January) and pulled back every time the weather warms up. As you can see--too much work!

Leaves from my neighbor's oak trees blow randomly through my back yard and probably give some random protection -- but a lot of the roses still are exposed to the temps and still do fine.

In the spring you will start trimming back until you reach healthy WHITE interior of the cane. For HTs, that might be a few inches from the soil line--which is fine. With the spring sun, they will start growing fine.

If you just need a limited amount of mulch, buy a few bags from Home Depot for about $6.00.

Kate

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    10 years ago

I don't, and I do the same as Jim. Williamsport (my nephew lives there) gets wet, and I would think the mulch would too, resulting in canker.

10 years ago

Karolina11

I'm about 35 miles from State College in Tyrone Pa.
    And about 87 miles from Williamsport.

Williamsport is in growing zone 5b Karolina11...

• Karolina11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone, big relief to hear other people are fine with no mulch for the winter. Jim, I thought you had mentioned you were in Tyrone before, great to see someone else in the area. I am about another 30 minutes east of Williamsport so we are 6b with pockets of 6a per the new USDA map. We're also in the valley surrounded so warmer than the mountains around us although we will see how this winter is. Kate, great reminder that I can buy bagged mulch. I will look around and see what works best.

Thanks again!

This post was edited by Karolina11 on Mon, Oct 28, 13 at 21:30

10 years ago

oh ok Karolina11... I plugged in Williamsport zip code and that's how I got the zone 5b....

I experiment here... What works I keep on doing.
    What does not work I quit doing ...lol

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

I used to mulch but I haven't for the last few years. My Grandmother and Mom never did any winter protection and their roses came back year after year just fine. If the roses is hardy for your zone, planted deep and healthy they should winter.