Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lazydaisies

Powdery Mildew Question?

Hi there. A few of my roses have caught a late case of powdery mildew.... do I treat even though we are getting into freezing temps now? It's been pretty cold here and is getting down into the 30s at night.

Thanks for any help!

This post was edited by thegardenat902 on Sun, Oct 5, 14 at 21:21

Comments (15)

• jacqueline9CA
    9 years ago

I am in a warm zone, but I can report that that happens here too, especially on Graham Thomas, and sometimes on Peace. It is usually on the new growth. I just ignore it.

Jackie

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    9 years ago

Nah, I usually ignore it. The only times I see powdery mildew in my zone is early spring and late fall when the temperatures get cool and humid. Particularly now, the roses are just going to drop that foliage soon, so I wouldn't worry about it. Next spring as soon as they put out new foliage it'll be a distant memory to the rose, unless you're in a chronic mildew zone.
    Cynthia

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

This late in the season you pretty much can expect some mildew to happen. The roses are starting to slow down for dormancy and their immune systems aren't working as well. Leave them be and just clean up the leaves well before you do any winterizing.

• Michaela (Zone 5b - Iowa)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thank you all! I appreciate the answers a lot.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    9 years ago

Check my Mister Lincoln out... First time ML got PM was this year, planted in 2010...
    Its on the canes also...
    Wonder how I can get that off or should I not bother?

{{gwi:336819}}

• cecily
    9 years ago

The season's basically over, I wouldn't bother. Spraying with milk is actually pretty effective against PM but you need to respray each time it rains. So if you feel compelled to do something...

9 years ago

How much ratio of milk to water? Thanks

I ordered Greencure it should arrive today...

This post was edited by jim1961 on Tue, Oct 7, 14 at 10:40

• cecily
    9 years ago

50/50 will do it.

9 years ago

Thanks I'll keep that milk mixture in my mind to try sometime...

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Along with his color and fragrance, Mister Lincoln inherited a weakness for powdery mildew. That's why, in my mildew prone conditions, I chose not to grow Mister Lincoln.

Jeri

9 years ago

I've never seen any Powdery Mildew here for many years now all of a sudden lately its becoming a pesky problem...

• Michaela (Zone 5b - Iowa)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Will try the milk suggestion. I don't like to spray stuff in my garden unless I have to.

Sorry to see your ML got the powdery mildews, Jim. :(

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

With the strange weather conditions now days it isn't surprising that people are seeing diseases pop up that have never been a problem before. Most of these disease spores are already present and only need the just right conditions to take off. It's been a cool, gray and damp summer here so both black spot and powdery mildew have been rampant this season. As I've said before, we rarely see any rust here but my rose society president just brought in some leaves to our last meeting from his roses with rust on them so we could all see it in person. Nasty stuff!

9 years ago

thegardenat902, the Greencure product I just recieved Tuesday is considered organic...

I sprayed Mister Lincoln down with Greencure and will do it again in 7 days and see what happens...

I'll probably spray ML canes down with Greencure right before it leafs out in Spring also... (Not sure if that will help or not?) Will not know until I do it...

• jacqueline9CA
    9 years ago

Seil - that is VERY interesting about rust! I thought it only plagued those of us in California. In my garden, only some of the HTs get it - nobody else, which I find fascinating. Peace, Golden Showers, Duet, and Sutter's Gold all get it occasionally. None of the teas, chinas, tea noisettes, hybrid musks, hybrid multifloras, hybrid giganticas, polyanthas or other OGRs get it. None.

This is one of the reasons that I early on decided not to ever purchase HTs. Rust is really ickky! You practically have to strip all of the foliage off a rose bush, and then any susceptible ones nearby get it because of the spores flying around in the air.

Sorry to hear it has popped up where you are.

Jackie

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area