Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
groundcover roses

Posted by bogturtle SE NJ 7a (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 1, 13 at 21:37

Looking for a really low ground cover rose, pink or white.
Needs character of Knockout Roses, as they seem to never get aphids, black spot or other pests.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: groundcover roses

How about Marie Pavie? I was just reading about it on an old gardenweb thread of conversation. I was "googling" the same topic and found a conversation comparing White Pet rose to Marie Pavie rose. I found both of them online at Two Sisters Roses.

o

Take a look at 'Sunrise Sunset'. Its an Easy Elegance rose so should have real good disease resistance. Other EE roses that I've had for several years have shown excellent disease resistance & that is one of the traits they are trying to get in this series. I planted one this spring & was very healthy, vigorous looking & good flower production. It is putting out several nice long canes that hug the ground. I planted mine next to the street so I waiting to see how well it stands up to the snow, slush, road salt, etc. that will be plowed on it over the winter. HMF link to it below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sunrise Sunset

o

Marie Pavie is not a ground cover rose. Look at The Fairy and its relations, ie Crystal Fairy, etc. Red Cascade is another, tho it is red. There are several new ones out, such as the easy elegance.

o

My local nursery has Drift roses on sale. The blooms are a nice shape and the foliage is good -- they might be a possibility for you.

o

I just saw my gardening friend's two Peach Drift roses, covered in blooms and doing well in spite of the lousy fall we've had so far. I've wanted this lovely rose for ages. It's a peachy pink so it might fit your color needs. Diane

o

I planted Ice Meidiland this year and it's growing like a weed. It grows very low to the ground with long canes. Covered in pearly pinkish white flowers, with dark, shiny, healthy foliage.

o

I did see the "Popcorn" Drift rose, soft yellow and cream colored in a rose catalog I received yesterday. The catalog was from Witherspoon Roses.

o

"Groundcover" is something of a cruel misnomer when it comes to roses. It seems that quite a few people who inquire about groundcover roses are looking for a variety that is ground-hugging, mat-forming, weed-suppressing. Unfortunately such a rose does not yet exist.

o

I grew white Meidland and it had black spot so bad, I pulled it out. A very pretty plant if it were healthy. Sorry.

o

I have the miniature rose Snow Carpet planted on top of a rock retaining wall, and was delighted to discover that it grows very mat-like, almost like a low sedum. It doesn't give me a lot of bloom but the foliage is lovely in the way it clings to the rocks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here