Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
philippos_gw

Potted rose is struggling

philippos
9 years ago

I have a potted rose in Las Vegas whose leaves are turning crispy and dying while still green (the leaves on the cane in the left side of the photo). I had given this rose liquid-idssolving fertilizer (some blue stuff) about 5-6 weeks ago, and the leaves started dying while still green and I was very worried. A yellow standard I had given the same fertilizer to died, but this plant stabilized, put out new growth, and looked like it was going to bloom (it has a large bud that is ready to bloom). Then, yesterday, the same thing happened again: Its leaves started drying out and curling up while still green. Within 24 hours, all the leaves on one cane dried up. when I touch them they are very thin and feel like paper. The leaves on the other cane were ok but they have started dying too, though some are still ok. I am extremely worried though and feel that there is not much time left. What is wrong with my plant? The fertilizer was long ago and should have all been flushed out by now. This just doesn't make any sense. Is there anything I can do to save my plant? Would moving to a bigger pot help, or would it stress it more?

Summers here are extremely hot, but the weather has finally cooled off. It is now in the high 80s during the day and 60s at night. The plant gets some AM sun (dappled) and PM shade. Maybe it needs more sun? I make sure the soil in the pot is always moist.

This plant is very dear to me as it belonged to my fiancee who recently passed away. I have lost two plants already to the heat and fertilizer, and have only this one and one more left (which thankfully, seems to be doing alright).

This post was edited by philippos on Thu, Oct 9, 14 at 21:42

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH