Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Something is wrong with Maggie

Posted by msjam2 7B DFW (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 10, 13 at 21:51

Hi all,

Maggie has some weird growth going on, not sure what this is, the leaves are pruny. Is this a virus? Only one branch has this, the rest is looking ok.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Something is wrong with Maggie

I'm not sure what that is, but I would love to see a closeup of those leaves.

Jeri

o

Here's a closeup of the leaves, weird right?

No spray has been used of any kind.

o

I've never seen a plant with this so widespread, but I've seen plants with just a few leaves distorted in this manner. I've been told this was a virus.

Go to the link below, and scroll down to ROSE LEAF CURL. You might also look at ROSE SPRING DWARF DISEASE (tho I don't think that's it).

Jeri

Here is a link that might be useful: Viruses of Roses

o

Please note:
"Rose leaf curl has been found only
in public rose gardens, usually in or near
plants of “antique” roses. Recent data
indicate a slow natural spread, although
the vector is unknown. Hybrid tea roses
exhibit RLC symptoms, but rootstock
varieties do not. Symptoms on hybrid tea
roses are downward curling of leaves on
established plants and dieback of canes
(fig. 4). Leaves easily drop off new
shoots, and the shoots are characteristically
pointed with a broad base."

Here is a link that might be useful: link for above

o

Mr. Kuska link was written in 1977. There have been many advancements regarding the study of rose diseases since roses became such a large industry.

o

lynnette, Please post any more recent research that challenges the original paper. I put the original paper

http://www.cabdirect.org/abstracts/19761326991.html;jsessionid=29E4B0E28D38090F36BDD0B79400D14B

into Google Scholar and did not find any.

Davis wrote this in 2009.

"Infected rose plants. Slow natural spread."

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/r280112611.html

Here is a link that might be useful: link to 2009 Davis paper.

o

Oh Goddess of Gardens -- PLEASE let there be no more questions about virus, to trigger bombardments like this.

Jeri

o

A few of my roses from Heirloom have done that from Day 1. I thought it was sometjing I was doing wrong.

I read something somewhere, when I was first concerned, that said certain clases of fungicides cause it.

o

From a Google Scholar search, I found: "A survey of viruses infecting Rosa spp. in New Zealand
EJM Milleza, LI Ward, C Delmiglio, JZ Tang… - Australasian Plant …, 2013 - Springer ... pers. comm Rose leaf curl virus RLCV Begomovirus Li et al. (2004) ... 1978)."

------------------------------------------------------

H. Kuska comment: there appears to be personal communications among rose virus researchers that rose leaf curl is a Begomovirus.

I searched further and found the following:

Khatri S.M., Nawaz-ul-Rehman M.S., Fauquet C.M.; "Rose leaf curl disease associated begomovirus"; Unpublished.), see:

http://www.dpvweb.net/dpv/showseq.php?seq=gq478342

----------------------------------------------

H. Kuska comment: Apparently in this genus transmission is suspected to be by insects:

"The virus is obligately transmitted by an insect vector, which can be the whitefly Bemisia tabaci or can be other whiteflies.[6] This vector allows rapid and efficient propagation of the virus because it is an indiscriminate feeder."

H.Kuska comment: The above is taken from the following wikipedia link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Begomovirus

----------------------------------------------

H.Kuska comment. Of course, we should wait for a reviewed published scientific paper, to be sure what the actual scientific facts are about what is causing the observed slow spread; but until then this is what the situation "appears" to be.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Scholar Search

o

Oh boy...I read about leaf curl and spring dwarf, and that's what's plaguing my roses for sure. I have both. Will post pics in daylight. What do I do? I thought they'd grow out of it...I have bands from Heirloom and RVR with these problems.

I don't believe it to be transmitted via whitefly, at least in my particular csse but I could be wrong. I think it's spider mites...

o

Rose Spring Dwarf is spread by aphids, see:

http://home.roadrunner.com/~kuska/rose_spring_dwarf_virus.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: link for above

o

Wow...thank you Henry.

What should I do? My older bands that I got in the spring put out growth like that but it was fine during the summer. Coming back now and the new ones have it too.

Man that's a lot of money down the drain if I have to get rid of all of them...
How do you at least *try* to prevent something like this from happening?

o

Apparently neither virus can be cured by heat treatment. I am not aware of any sucess with tissue culture regeneration of small fast growing buds (attempt to outrun the virus) either alone or with the addition of antiviral chemicals, but that would be my guess as to where sucess could be achieved. Since recent evidence has called into question the "old thinking" that virus infections are always systemic, it is possible (but probably not very probable) that a cutting made from a branch that does not exhibit symptoms during the height of the "symptom season" could produce a clean plant.

o

If I saw a few leaves like that on my roses in my garden after some days of rain or heavy fog, I would think it is caused by mildew and while those leaves will never look good, the new ones will be just fine when the weather changes again

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here