Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynn2112

Neptune or Love Song?

I was desperately seeking Purple Tiger and cannot seem to locate it. Instead, I am thinking of placing a Neptune or Love Song in the space. Those of you who grow or are familiar with one or both of these roses, how would you describe their growth or rate them?

Lynn

This post was edited by desertgarden561 on Sat, Oct 12, 13 at 12:56

Comments (7)

• racin_rose
    10 years ago

S&W still has Purple Tiger. They only ship the last two weeks of February, but their prices are great.

Here is a link that might be useful: Purple Tiger

• kstrong
    10 years ago

Neptune. But be careful as Neptune wants to be a big plant. Purple Tiger stays 3 feet, Love Song, so far about four, but it's only been in it's place for a year, so it could get bigger in year two. But Neptune is a great rose -- but vigorous -- will not be happy unless you let it be 6' high by 4' wide approx.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

I got Love Song this spring and have been thrilled with it. It's grown very vigorously and bloomed a lot all season. It had a little blackspot at one point but came right back and has been clean since. Blooms are very large and cabbagey in form in a light lilac with a deeper reverse. It has a wonderful fragrance too!

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Seil,

Your Love Song is gorgeous.

Kstrong, thank you for the size information. I did not realize Neptune would become so large. It would definitely be too large for the space .

Lynn

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

My Love Song is about 3 x 3 but, like I said, it's a new plant and it's potted. I have no idea how big it might get to in the ground. I do hope it winters well!

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    10 years ago

Lynn, may I suggest Poseidon? It's gorgeous. I got it this spring grafted on multiflora and it's just bloomed and bloomed...but it is at least 6 ft tall. I pulled down some canes and it is busting out the laterals....I may use it as a climber! It's a Kordes rose and has been very healthy. Here is a photo on HMF that looks like mine. Notice the buds?
    I purchased Love Song on Dr. Huey...I realize now that I have mf root stock to compare that Huey is not good for my garden. Love Song is anemic. I will try it on mf though because it is a beautiful rose and I love my lavenders!
    Poseidon's buds are deep hot pink and then burst into many petals similar to Love Song but more blue/lavender.
    I have Purple Tiger own root. It's lousy own root here...
    Susan

Here is a link that might be useful: Poseidon on HMF

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I purchased the purple tiger today from S & W but could not determine via their site which root stock they use. Dr. Huey works well for my alkaline soil. I purchased 4 Marie Pavie on multi-flora and am guessing that I will have to really amend my soil to reduce the pH. I will have to do the same for Purple tiger if it is on multiflora.

Thank your for the suggestion. Poseidon is very pretty. It reminds me a bit of the way Blue Girl in person when it is in a pot and greenhouse. These roses usually turn gray here. I do not know if it is the heat, soil, or a combination of the two.