Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
molineux_gw

lets talk about blue for you

Molineux
10 years ago

Today the Chamblee's Rose Nursery catalog arrived and smack dab on the cover was the floribunda Blue for You. I've had my eye on this rose for some time but until now it wasn't offered own root by a nursery that I know and trust. By the few accounts I've read it is supposed to be an improvement over Rhapsody in Blue, having similar violet coloring ala the legendary once blooming rambler Veilchenblau but repeat blooming and more tolerant of adverse growing conditions (especially hot/humid summers).

Is this true? I'm dying to get a conversation going about this beautiful Floribunda.

Thank you,

Patrick

Comments (13)

• mzstitch
    10 years ago

Patrick, thank you for introducing me to this rose Blue for you. I was immediately hooked after looking up images on Google. After reading Kim's post it sounded like a great disease resistent choice. The Austin site also mentioned it to be a great choice for disease resistence. Then I looked on Helpmefind and it's only rated as a good+, not excellent after 77 votes.
    So I too am anxious to hear how others feel about this rose, why good and not excellent?

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Because, for whatever reason, those who have taken the time to rate it, gave it that rating. No, I haven't rated it yet. There are many for which I haven't provided ratings, and probably won't. The ratings and "favorites" sections on HMF are issues for me.

At least five, distinct races of black spot have been isolated in the US alone. Each one attacks/infects roses differently. It has been determined some roses are virtually immune to one, perhaps two, of the races, and vary in resistance to the others. Some areas have several of the races, but not all of them. Some have only one or two. Add that the pressure for a disease to be virulent (or not) varies from climate to climate and a rating of "black spot resistant" is meaningless until it is known against WHICH type, where the rating is from and which races exist where it is rated.

What good is a "mildew resistant" rating if it was generated where mildew is seldom an issue? The same for rust. If that fungus doesn't usually occur where the rating came from, the statement that it "resists rust" isn't worth the storage space it requires. Without knowing WHERE it resists something, no valid useful information can be provided. Yes, my concerns have been expressed to the folks at HMF and been added to the list.

The "Favorites" section is a waste of space. How can anyone make a case for it when roses which have never been photographed (or otherwise illustrated); have not been commercially available in decades (or longer) or even never released commercially; aren't grown in any existing gardens which are known; for which there is virtually no information and which probably no one using the site has ever seen, have received multiple (or even ANY) "favorite" votes? Give me a break. Kim

• Campanula UK Z8
    10 years ago

Stop dithering, Patrick and buy the bloody thing - you will also find it goes extremely well with your namesake (molineaux),
    Top rose, imo (and infinitely better than the downright ugly Rhapsody - which may well have some lovely blooms but is a horror as a growing shrub).

• kittymoonbeam
    10 years ago

It looks wonderful. If Kim will give it a good word, it's probably a great rose with some one who will care for it well.

• kstrong
    10 years ago

I grow em both in cool coastal weather. Blue for You is the rose you NEED. It's a great one.

GET

• jerijen
    10 years ago

And, then, there is EYES for you . . .

:-)

Jeri

• erasmus_gw
    10 years ago

It is blackspot free here. It makes a very branchy, shrubby plant and has excellent rebloom. The blooms are a pretty good size, and can be dark purple to lavender. To me the fragrance is not that strong so far but it's nice. It just wants to bloom and grow and seems like a star athlete. The leaves stay pretty , not just blackspot free even in heat.

• bethnorcal9
    10 years ago

I've got both BLUE FOR YOU and RHAPSODY IN BLUE. BFY is own root, and RIB is grafted on Multiflora, and both are grown in large containers in part shade. I have some pretty extreme summer temps, often reaching 106-110 degrees, altho the last two yrs have been much milder. Still, we get many days of triple digits. RIB definitely does slow down bloom production in the heat, and it does tend to grow all gangly and climber-ish. But I love the deep pure blue-purple color when it does bloom. Both have been very disease resistant for me, even in the shady area they're in. BFY is better at blooming, altho not much. Sometimes I only get two good flushes. The coloring on BFY is amazing. It goes thru all sorts of shades & tones of purples, lavender, mauve and periwinkle. I love both of these roses and wouldn't want to be without them.

BLUE FOR YOU
    {{gwi:337351}}

RHAPSODY IN BLUE
    {{gwi:337352}}

Now, I would LOVE to have EYES FOR YOU!! Wish they would market it here in the US.

• sabalmatt_tejas
    10 years ago

FWIW- blue for you has been a wonderful performer in Dallas, Tx. So far- no blackspot. It seemed to tolerate our summer temps just fine and continue blooming. I really like the fragrance too. Two weeks ago, I saw the BFY plants at Chamblee's and they look great.

• kstrong
    10 years ago

I have a really good plant of Eyes for You in the auction, by the way. That's one that you can't get commercially in the U.S., and it has never been available commercially here, so if you don't know someone who has it, then you won't get it. Very much worth growing though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Auction Link

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    10 years ago

Was just at Chamblees last Tuesday and got Blue for You, Love Song, Lavender Veranda, Plum Perfect and Twilight Zone. I love lavender, so it will be fun to see how all these do. The Pacific Blue that I was lucky enough to get from Vintage is just opening a big fat bud and I cant wait to see what this one look like. Does anyone grow these other lavenders?
    Judith

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    10 years ago

I love love love this rose. I purchased it at a plant sale a huge grower has in Georgia twice a yr. Mine does get blackspot and I do spray but get lazy. It's gorgeous and blooms well all summer. Does great in bouquets also. Can't remember the fragrance! Mine right now is about 5 ft tall but usually stays around 4 ft and about 2 1/2 to 3 ft wide. I say get that baby while you can. Judy