Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arbutusomnedo

Bright Red/White Striped Rose Identification

Hey Y'all,
I was wondering if you could help me identify a rose in my mother's garden. I've been helping her redo her backyard and in particular prepare and plant new rose beds. Amongst the existing roses that she had forgotten the names of was this striped red rose.

Earlier this year it was a leafless, twiggy, flower-less mess. After giving it some attention and regular water, it's leafed out nicely and finally bloomed this weekend. I took a few photos of the bloom, but forgot to capture the foliage, prickles, or buds.

It appears to be a Floribunda, with up to five buds in a group, semi-double bright red and white bloom with bright yellow stamens. It isn't Scentimental, but I can't quite nail down a likely suspect. It is no taller than 2.5', and a little wider. It's been there for at least a few years, if not more like 10+, but she doesn't recall when it went in.

I saw it in the afternoon, and didn't notice much scent, but I may have just been there at the wrong time.

She only got roses from Armstrong or similar garden center chains in the Los Angeles area in the past if that helps at all.

Thanks for any help,

Jay

Comments (11)

• racin_rose
    10 years ago

Hmmm...Fourth of July?

It has Ferdinand Pichard in the woodpile almost certainly, judging by the quilted leaves.

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's F of J on helpmefind.com

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey Racin_Rose-
    I don't think it's Fourth of July because of the rather diminutive size of the shrub. I assume Fourth of July would have shot off long ago here in Southern California if this was it. It DOES remind me quite a bit of Fourth of July though!

I came across the rose Hurdy Gurdy just a few minutes ago, and it may be what I'm looking for. I'm not sure, but it seems to fit the bill. I wouldn't know from looking at the leaves myself, but would that make it an "older" modern striped rose if it uses FP as a parent?

Thanks for the info!

Jay

• dragoonsers
    10 years ago

I would go for Fourth of July too. The flower, and the clumps. But the plant should be taller. Maybe others can help you out? Maybe now that you're giving it attention, it may grow into a beast next season.

Best,

H

• kstrong
    10 years ago

That's gotta be Fourth of July. Fourth of July, starved of resources like water and food, will stay smaller, like that. Now that you are starting to care for it, watch out, as it will likely take off.

So feed it, water it and watch it. When you see a shoot that looks to be heading for the moon, you'll know for sure.

It's not Hurdy Gurdy, which I would recognize by the color -- not a true red at all, but more between deep magenta and bright burgandyish-purple. And Hurdy Gurdy also is not a "diminutive" plant, but rather is a climber every bit as vigorous as Fourth of July. It's another one I like to recommend to people who are willing to buy by mail order. And come to think of it, I don't think you would have found Hurdy Gurdy in a SoCal garden center anytime I can remember. Those of us that have it got it mail order, or else by passalong cuttings.

• jerijen
    10 years ago

That is Fourth Of July. And yes, it is quite possible for a mid-sized climber, starved of resources, to be a small plant.

Give it water, and light, and air, and some food, and it should grow back up.

Ferdinand Pichard IS definitely behind this rose, which is my favorite, among Moderns. The color distribution is quite variable, and bees love the blooms.

Jeri

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

Let's see the prickles.

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    Original Author
    10 years ago

If you guys seem to think so, I'll definitely keep my out for any longer canes in the future. It's not in a place I would plant a climber, so I doubt my mother would have at the time, but you never know. Thanks for your thoughts everyone.

It's raining here today (first time in months!), but I'll try to swing by there to take some more pictures if the weather allows.

The flowers aren't exactly huge, any chance it's a Miniflora or Miniature?

Jay

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's the best I could do for the prickles:

• dragoonsers
    10 years ago

Prickles confirm its a 4th of July!!

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well I'm sorry to have doubted y'all if it's that apparent! I will have to consider moving this at some point. Glad to have an idea of what we have.

I could possibly train it up a Coral Tree if/when it gets large enough in its current location. The Coral Tree has been on the removal list for a few years, but I don't know how keen my mother is to have it removed.

There's also a red/pink striped rose she got from Home Depot this year that I cannot identify. I assume it's either a Coiner creation or something else not listed on their website. This picture isn't great, but it's a classic hybrid tea in habit. Reminds me of Red Intuition somewhat, but it had no label. This is the only picture of a bloom I've taken since they don't really do the flowers justice. It was right after she got it earlier this year. Any idea? I emailed Coiner Nursery months ago, but have never gotten a response to my knowledge.

Thanks again,
    Jay

• kstrong
    10 years ago

Well, that looks like Pink Intuition, the lighter sport of Red Intuition. But I've never know Home Depot to carry either one -- Red or Pink Intuition.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Pink Intuition

Sponsored
Brenda M. Miller Designer of Interior Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars73 Reviews
Client-Oriented Interior Design in Loudoun County | Best of Houzz X6