Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sayhellonow

Suggestions needed from all y'all

sayhellonow
14 years ago

I am in zone 4. I have a flower bed that's about 35' or so in length, and about 3-4' deep. It has mostly perennials, including bulbs. I just removed everything from the center of the bed, a 6' section, and want to creat a focal point there. The flower bed has a 6' high white fence for a backdrop.

I think a climbing rose would work, but I need some suggestions. At one end of the bed is Olympiad, and at the other end is Legends (anyone growing this one?). The new rose should be able to compete with them, and I am not sure if another red rose would be too dominant.

It doesn't HAVE to be a rose, but something that will look good for three seasons, and roses seem to fit that category really well. I know you rose-growers can give me some great ideas.

Comments (10)

• michaelg
    14 years ago

There are very few repeat-blooming climbing roses for zone 4. One that might work is John Davis, a short climber with pretty pink flowers and unusually attractive foliage and stems. It is cane-hardy in Minneapolis (maybe not every winter).

• kandaceshirley
    14 years ago

you could try victorian memory aka isabella skinner - i've heard it can get fairly tall and is hardy through zone 2

Here is a link that might be useful: help me find

• seil zone 6b MI
    14 years ago

William Baffin is rated to zone 2 but like Michaelg said, in zone 4 you're going to suffer a lot of winter cane loss so any climber you get won't ever be a huge giant or anything. Another one rated to zone 3 is Improved Blaze (or called New Blaze sometimes). There are a couple of beauties rated to zone 5 that with a lot of winter protection might work, New Dawn and Zephirin Drouhin, which happens to also be thornless! But those would be starting from the ground up every season so they'll never be true climbers.

There's always clematis!

• sayhellonow
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you Michael and Kandi. I have never seen John Davis or Isabella, so I gather they are not good for my area.

Seil, Yes indeed, there's always clematis. In fact, I plan to grow one WITH the climber. I made a vow years ago to never plant a climbing or tall rose without a clematis growing through it.

Is Zepherin Drouhin a repeat bloomer? It grows well here (at least in the nurseries), but I've avoided it because I thought it blooms only once.

I grew New Dawn here for years (at my last house), but its blossoms are really pale and it tends to ramble.

• michaelg
    14 years ago

You need a rose that is cane-hardy in your climate. ZD is not, nor does it repeat much.

• daisy735
    14 years ago

I am in zone 4; I have John Davis on a trellis and John Cabot.They grow very well here. I have posted these pics previously-hope they do not bore everyone. My choice would be JC as his leaves are darker,prettier than JD. JD also leans to mildew prone for me, even tho he has plenty of sun and circ.

JOHN DAVIS
    {{gwi:293453}}

JOHN CABOT
    {{gwi:263243}}

Goodluck with your choice!

• sayhellonow
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh my, how gorgeous! I love that JC too. I'll look for it and hope it will be as lovely as yours. Thanks for the pics - I doubt anyone is bored by them.

• michaelg
    14 years ago

Daisy, your climbers look wonderful!

My John Davis had mildew problems too, but I would say repeated more than the plant of Cabot I've observed. What is your experience with repeat bloom?

• daisy735
    14 years ago

JD might be better for the rebloom here too-yes, when I think about it. Both get trimmed back frequently, JC moreso because he is visible from the street. I sacrifice some potential buds when I give them haircuts. Its worth it to me to keep them from growing wild. We do walk thru these openings everyday. Its a good tradeoff for me. I do not winter protect. They are both leading to a cement drive or porch which hasn't seemed to bother them.I had at least 3 different roses planted at these trellises beforehand that died over our winters.

• daisy735
    14 years ago

Sayhellonow-perhaps you don't want a climber(?) Your fence backdrop sounds lovely-you may wish for something that blooms more consistantly about 4ft. tall (what-ever color)with your choosen climatis bounding about the fence--up and behind the rose for drama. Do keep in mind a climatis will compete with the rose for sunlight and nutrients. I chopped out a climatis shading out John Cabot on one side. I would not have believed it would happen to a tough guy like him.

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz