Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iris_gal

most perfect color companion for Jude

iris_gal
9 years ago

I succumbed and ordered Jude The Obscure from Chamblee's. My first rose order!

If Jude could only have one companion, which rose or color would you say shows him off the best? Is there a disaster color to avoid? Thank you,.

Comments (13)

• blocke19
    9 years ago

i planted hardy geranium 'Rozanne' on the recommendation of HoovB (I think it was?) and its purple-blue flowers look superb winding in and around Jude! Jude is also in a bed with a mix of peach/ white/ pale pink (and one lavender!) roses.

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    9 years ago

I'd agree that something in the dark purple/blue range would do well -- as would something in the dark red range. For either, you get the double-whammy of light with dark, and complimentary colors. Together, they'll set each other off nicely.

For dark purple/blue, consider one of the non-climbing small-flowered herbaceous clematis to plant at its base, allowing it to scramble into Jude. But wait a year or so, allowing Jude time to build up in size.

Another suggestion, this time in the dark red range, would be one of the "black" seed strains of Scabiosa atropurpurea, such as 'Ace of Spades.' It will grow taller than Geranium 'Rozanne'.

:-)

~Christopher

• iris_gal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Internet out the last 3 days and so eager to hear your suggestions. I can do a pale pink rose. And a 'black' red scabiosa did wonderfully well this first year. Maybe cuttings will take. A 'Rozanne' geranium I'm sure even our garden centers should have come spring. Thank You!

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    9 years ago

Scabiosa atropurpurea doesn't live very long -- but it does self-seed easily. If your cuttings don't work, just sprinkle some seed around the rose when the time is right for your area. If you leave some to go to seed each year, you'll always have it. And if you grow just one seed strain of this species, it SHOULD remain true.

:-)

~Christopher

• iris_gal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Christopher. It's seeding now. Didn't realize it was annual - tag buried. Should have realized from the rampant growth it wasn't a perrrenial.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    9 years ago

I'm a little late coming to this thread, but thought I'd second pink, peach, and white roses, annuals, and perennials as good color companions for Jude. The pink daisies I grow would be perennial for you, as well snapdragons (they act as short lived perennials here, hardy in zones 7-10). I love lots of white alyssum, too. Diane

• gardenbug
    9 years ago

Gorgeous roses! What is all planted at the base of them?

• jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)
    9 years ago

Very nice Diane. Is that one plant of Jude?

I have Othello (D.A.) and Crimson cascade beside Jude. It was randomly planted so I won't know if that is going to be a mistake. I will know for sure this coming summer when they are in their second year.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    9 years ago

Jude is kind of overpowered by Brother Cadfael, the pinker rose. They are both very large (fence is nine feet or so). I have planted two heights of pink snapdragons, argyrenthemum (I cannot spell that one) pink daisies. Not showing is white alyssum. There are some scattered Shasta Daisies in this bed, but they do not bloom for the long period time that the others do. Diane

• iris_gal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I love it nanadoll. The daisy shape with the taller snap's columnar shape looks great with the roses. And I like the near monochromatic scheme.

Are those roses 15 feet tall?! In zone 7.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    9 years ago

I love the look of Jude the Obscure! I am all about fragrance too. Does anyone know how this rose would perform in a hot humid zone 9? (NE Florida)
    ~SJN

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    9 years ago

Thanks, iris gal. No, they are about the same height as the fence (nine feet). It varies from year to year, depending on how much I prune and other factors. They really got whacked last year.
    It's very dry here, so I don't know how they would perform in a hot, humid zone. I wouldn't recommend Brother Cadfael--he does a lot of balling when it get very hot. I think it's important for his blooms to open before the real heat sets in. Jude blooms more, and the blooms open better in our weather. Both roses have wonderful scent. Diane

• iris_gal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks. Didn't know if the 9ft was only for the stone portion and the snaps
    were 4 ft. tall :-)
    Whew!