Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtwashgrower

Roses to grow around front porch

mtwashgrower
10 years ago

Hi, I'm a new gardener and hoping to get some advice for the area around my front porch. The area has some shade because there is a large pine but it still gets quite a bit of sun--at least 4 hours right now (October) and significantly more in summer. I'm looking for roses that climb, can tolerate some shade but lots of summer heat--and preferably are really pretty and maybe fragrant? I put arrows to show the three areas I'm looking to plant. It took me a ridiculous amount of time (days & weeks) and hard labor but I finally cut, sawed, and dug out the gigantic aloe that was growing under the front window. (Sorry aloe lovers but i just am not a fan). I also dug out the two day lilies (African?). I'm hoping there is enough space to plant two climbing roses on either side of the porch that can grow up the posts. The picture here is old--we've since painted the house and porch a light beige with white trim so it's a fairly neutral backdrop...and I'd like to make a flower bed under the window with either one or more roses.

Comments (12)

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

The answer is YES! Congratulations on getting rid of that aloe - those areas would be perfect for the right climbing roses. However, in order to be able to give you helpful suggestions, we need to know where you are - at least what part of what state. Heat zones are different - the same number on a heat zone can be shared by places with completely different climates - dry vs very humid, for example.

It turns out that there are roses which like specific climates, and if we know what your climate is there will be folks on here who garden in similar climates who can tell you which climbers would be best. All roses do not like all climates, despite what you may read in advertisements, etc.

Jackie

• mtwashgrower
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi, I'm in North East Los Angeles--specifically Mt. Washington...It gets quite hot here like nearby Eagle Rock and South Pasadena but because we're up a little bit, we do catch some extra breeze.

• jerijen
    10 years ago

I think you're in pretty good rose-growing territory. You want a couple of roses that climb, and some that are lower-growing, right?

If so, let's get more specific.

Do you have a color preference?
    Do you want blooms to cut for vases? Or just color on the plants?
    How tall to you want the bushes to be?
    Do prickles bother you?

Jeri

• Kippy
    10 years ago

Congrats on the aloe removal!

Been there and done that a couple of places at moms. FYI the aloes have not come back, but those lilies....yikes always a new one popping up here and there so if you want them really gone, remember to watch the beds for sprouts.

• mtwashgrower
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am thinking pinks, purples apricots or yellows--probably not a red. And I guess avoiding thorns is a plus but not necessarily my first priority--I'd be willing to tolerate some thorns if I got fragrance or lots of reblooming in the exchange.

• mtwashgrower
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Also--was thinking about trying to create a fairly natural looking bed with some underplanting.

This post was edited by MtWashGrower on Sun, Oct 13, 13 at 14:13

• jerijen
    10 years ago

OK. If it were me, I would select for my climbers the Tea Noisette, 'Reve d'Or.' I suggest it because it should be disease-free for you, bloom pretty much all the time, and fragrant. It has some prickles, but not a ton of them.

For bushes, you have a wide variety to choose from, but you won't want things that will grow 6-8 ft. tall.

In Southern California, you can't go wrong with the bush form of 'Mlle. Cecile Brunner,' a lovely soft pink, and continuous-blooming. Right along with her, her close relative, 'Perle d'Or,' which is very similar, but in a soft apricot. And another good match is 'White Cecile Brunner.' All of those will mix nicely with low-growing companion plants. (I like "Thumbelina" lavender.)

You'll get other good suggestions, but we also really like 'International Herald Tribune' which is low-growing, lavender in color, and a heavy bloomer.

All of these are good in Southern California. You can find all of them also listed at HelpMeFind.

Jeri

Here is a link that might be useful: Reve d'Or, at HelpMeFind

• mtwashgrower
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Jeri--I just looked all of those up and they are each lovely. It's going to be tough to make a final decision!

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

'Iceberg'. A mass planting makes a memorable statement. If you are a beginning gardener, there is no easier rose in So Cal.

{{gwi:337679}}

This post was edited by hoovb on Sun, Oct 13, 13 at 18:43

• jerijen
    10 years ago

I can't argue with Hoov's suggestion of Iceberg, either. And it has color sports -- Brilliant Pink Iceberg and Burgundy Iceberg. Darned good looking, all of 'em, and disease-free in SoCal.

Here's Burgundy Iceberg, outside a convalescent home where we do therapy dog visits.

Jeri

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

Pretty, Jeri.

Then just underplant the whole mass of them with Geranium 'Rozanne'. Simple, and you will stop passers-by in their tracks.

• jerijen
    10 years ago

And easy to come by, which is no small thing.

Jeri

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional