Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
muscovyduckling

Help me choose some roses!

muscovyduckling
10 years ago

Hi folks,

I'll start by saying I've never grown a rose before, and I don't know a whole lot about gardening. But I'm sick of my boring garden, and I love roses most of all, so I want to have a go at growing my own.

There are three different spots in my garden that I'd like to have roses, and I'm looking for suggestions for each.

Firstly, on the western side of my house I'd like a fairly large climber to grow up the lattice beside out back deck, and another to grow over the adjacent carport. This spot doesn't get any direct sun in the morning, but it is not shaded at all and is bright all day. It gets direct afternoon sun which can be hot in summer.

The next spot is on the eastern side of my house - I have a very large (1.5 metres by about 4 metres) ugly water tank outside my kitchen window that I'd like to grow a rose over. This spot is somewhat overshadowed by huge eucalyptus trees, and receives filtered morning sun, with only a tiny period of direct sun, and is in bright shade in the afternoon.

Thirdly, I'm building a big long fence across my back yard and I'd like to grow roses along it to form a sort of hedge to keep the dogs out (about 1 to 1.5 metres high) with an arbour in the middle. This fence is mostly in full sun but the edges will be in filtered shade in the early mornings and late afternoons.

I'm just outside of Melbourne, Australia, which is a temperate zone equivalent to about USA zone 9. My soil is clay, so I'll have to do something about that. I prefer pale pink, pale yellow or pale apricot blooms, and I'd love to have plants that we covered in as many blooms as possible, as often as possible! Fragrance would be a welcome bonus.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Comments (16)

• roseseek
    10 years ago

For suggestions easily obtainable in Australia, you might find Rose Talk Australia a good resource, too. They can also possibly open some doors for you to obtain rediscovered and found older roses which aren't generally in commerce. I hope it helps. Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose Talk Australia

• muscovyduckling
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately Rose Talk Australia closed down in February, so I'm here!

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

I live in No California, and we are also zone 9 with clay soil. If the soil has never been gardened or amended (there are still some spots in our lot in remote corners where you could form dishes directly from the dirt and fire them!), you will need to amend it. Roses love clay, but not straight!

To grow over your carport I would recommend Cl Cecile Brunner (pale pink), if you can get the clone that repeats a lot. It is a huge rose (see picture attached).

The water tank - I would recommend Madame Alfred Carriere, a tea noisette which grows happily in partial shade here, and eats buildings for breakfast. It is white with pink overtones.

The lattice near your deck, and the fence line, are places where most roses would grow happily. There is an old rose society in Australia which has chapters all over the place - I would google it and inquire there - as Kim says, there are all sorts of old roses available in Australia which we don't have here. I am sure they could give you some good ideas.

• ken-n.ga.mts
    10 years ago

Check out Treloar Roses in Australia. That looks like the place to buy roses over in you're neck of the woods.

• Glenburn
    10 years ago

Hi muscovyduckling My name is David Mears and I run Rosetalk Australia and it has not closed down. It is run as locked forum to protect our members, joining is simple with a recognised ISP address. Go to this link then register
    http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com/register,
    Hope this helps,
    Regards David.

• muscovyduckling
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ahh thanks David! Will do!

Thanks for all the suggestions too. Can anyone tell me anything about a rose called Sally Homles? Would that be OK in a semi shaded area?

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

HMF says that Sally Holmes is "shade tolerant".

If you do not know about HMF, google "Help Me Find/roses" - it is a website where you can look up zillions of roses, and it will tell you all about them, and there are lots of pictures of each one.

Jackie

• roseseek
    10 years ago

I will qualify it as this, in my climate, most roses are just fine with about six hours of direct sun daily. This is due to the intensity, severity of the sun here in the inland valleys of Southern California. Roses such as Iceberg and Sally Holmes, those with a predominance of multiflora genes, are often very successful in roughly four hours of sun equivalent. That could be four hours of direct sun, or partial/filtered sun whose cumulative total amounts to roughly that light level. Multiflora genes impart the ability to grow successfully in lower light levels. Of course, how low the levels necessary are going to depend upon how intense and brilliant your light is. The closer to the Equator, the more brilliant the light, hence the fewer hours required. The reverse is also true. Kim

• joshtx
    10 years ago

Muscovyduckling,

Jacqueline3 is right on the money with her suggestions. My only addition would be 'Crepuscule' for your lattice. It is exactly the color you prefer, is covered in blooms, and the color only gets better in direct sun.

You really can't go wrong with these three roses, and would highly reccomend them for your request. 'Madame Alfred Carriere' is especially fragrant too.

Best of luck!

Josh

• muscovyduckling
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much everyone. A lucky neighbour of mine across the road has a rose 'hedge' in the front yard which looks wonderful, and I suspect the rose is Crepuscule after looking that one up on HMF! So I know it will grow well here. Mme Alfred C. and Cecile Brunner also look very lovely. Cecile Brunner especially - what a romantic look!

Another rose I'm interested in is Lamarque. Does anyone have any experience with that one?

• rross
    10 years ago

Hi Muscovyduckling.
    I grow Lamarque against a fence in full sun till about 2:00 p.m. in Sydney. In its first year (last year) it was covered in black spot and produced one flower. At the moment it has 2 flowers, but about 10 buds and just a bit of black spot. I've been told to give it time, but I'm seriously considering digging it up and giving it to some French people who'd appreciate it for patriotic reasons, if nothing else. Apparently, it really likes hotter climates. If I replaced it, it would be with climbing Pinkie, which produces prolific and fragrant flowers in its first season in Sydney. I don't know about Melbourne but it is supposed to be a good place to grow roses.

• Curdle 10a (Australia)
    10 years ago

Do you live drivable distance from either Werribee (state rose garden) the Mornington Peninsula (The Mornington Rose Garden) or Morwell (Morwell Centenary Rose Garden)? I've visited both the State and the Mornington gardens, and they're great for getting an idea of what grows well, and what you like the look and smell of.

The State garden is right next door to Werribee Park Mansion and the Safari park, so it makes a great family day out/ bribe for any companions less interested in roses too. They have great displays of pillar and climbing roses.

ooooh... they're hosting a State Rose & Garden Show 1st December...jazz , food, wine and stalls with plants for sale..

• muscovyduckling
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks again folks. Rross, if it's not hot enough for Lamarque in Sydney, it certainly won't be hot enough in Melbourne! I know that I will not get around to spraying any roses I plant with fungicide because a) I can't be bothered, and b) I don't like chemicals in my garden, so anything that is prone to black spot is not going to work for me!

• rross
    10 years ago

I don't know if it's the temperature here or some other factor working against my particular Lamarque. In fact, we've had some hideously hot days in Sydney. All I know is that apparently it's a hot climate lover. Have you made any decisions yet?

• muscovyduckling
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No, I haven't made any decisions. I don't know how anyone makes a decision about these things - there are just soooooo many varieties to choose from, it's sort of overwhelming.

I have, however, been having a good look around my suburb at what my neighbours are up to in terms of rose growing, trying to see what does well and what does not so well. So within a few streets of my house Crepuscule, Renae, Pinkie and Ballerina are all doing exceptionally well. There are a couple of Pierre de Ronsard's doing ok, the blooms are looking lovely but they're not growing very much and they have very little foliage, so I guess they're not exactly vigorous.

All of the hybrid tea varieties, however, and not doing too well - they have a few scattered blooms but the bushes are looking very leggy. I don't think they get enough sun up here to become bushy and healthy.

• toolbelt68
    10 years ago

Josh,

Of the three roses you and Jacqueline3 are talking about which would be the best to help cover an 8'x16' trellis? I have ZD's all over the place, which are thornless and have a nice fragrance. I have a ZD already planted at one end and would like something else at the other end.

Thanks.
    Tool