Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kippy_the_hippy

Ralph Moore Roses or

Kippy
9 years ago

101 Ralph Moore Roses we have......

I have been looking at some of Ralph Moore's roses and was wondering what roses you all think are great and more people should know about.

I would love to hear about 'Keith's Delight' that is one I stumbled across while searching old treads for others.

Comments (33)

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

I had several at one time but the last one left now is Softee. It's a wonderful garden rose though and I would highly recommend it. It is fairly healthy and blooms it's head off!

• nastarana
    9 years ago

For warm climate gardeners, if you want a nice yellow climber, you cannot do better than Cl. Yellow Sweetheart. It has the same pretty, soft, clear yellow color as Capt. Thomas, and a much better growth habit. I seem to remember that rebloom was also better. Easily trained flexible canes, which grow vigorously the first year distinguish YS; if it were fragrant, it would lack for nothing that makes a great rose.

• jerijen
    9 years ago

You might also like 'Polly Sunshine' which we grew for years.

• catspa_NoCA_Z9_Sunset14
    9 years ago

Mr. Bluebird is great (modest size, great color, great bloomer) and, by the way, Kippy, it's a China (Old Blush seedling).

• nsdjohn
    9 years ago

The 14th Annual CCRS Save the Roses! Auction is featuring some of Ralph's rarest roses. This picture is of his last floribunda which is currently in the process of being registered as The Final Bow. Also offered will be 22 others of his fantastic cultivars including Born Free, Candleflame, Fair Molly, Gold Coin, Red Wagon and Tag-a-long. The auction takes place on Nov. 15 and 16 in Carlsbad, CA, but internet bidding is now open for out of state bidders. CCRS will hold plants until Spring for those in cold climates if they so desire.

Here is a link that might be useful: CCRS Auction

• Kippy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I love Sweet Chariot and Cl Yellow Sweetheart.

Red Wand really wowed be in San Jose.

And the thornless Renee.

So many roses

• Kippy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

In a different thread Ralph's Lemon Pearls was mentioned. What ever happened to all of the roses he sold to Nor' East? They were bought by Greenheart Farms who list other roses but mostly the same ones you can find so many other places. Star etc

• nsdjohn
    9 years ago

Greenheart still has a mother plant of many of the ones that were sold by Nor'East. What is confusing is that they have changed the names on most of the roses they are currently selling. Charlie Brown, for instance is now being sold as Star Ruby, Cinderella Gold is being sold as Gold Medallion, etc.

• Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    9 years ago

I have Climbing Yellow Sweetheart which is very fragrant for me and with no thorns, it is a pleasure to train. I also have Baby Austin on the way. The photo is of Climbing Yellow Sweetheart in its first few months, so the blooms are small. Basals break easily with this one.

This post was edited by jasminerose4u on Tue, Nov 11, 14 at 0:48

• Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    9 years ago

Here is Baby Austin at our rose show. The boquet is less than 3 inches tall.

• Kippy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Very nice Jasmine only 3" too.

John, I wish Greenheart would list the breeder so I could figure out the names. I know they are commercial, but they are also kind of a local so I might be able to find the roses at the other growers by me (they do the farmers markets)

• nsdjohn
    9 years ago

I really dislike renaming old roses. If you go to the Greenheart website and click on Garden Treasures under roses, you can take the Greenheart names and search for them on HMF. There real name and breeder will also be listed. I hope that people take advantage of the 22 Ralph Moore roses in the auction. Many of them are offered nowhere else in the world.

Here is a link that might be useful: Greenheart Farms

• pat_bamaz7
    9 years ago

Here's my Softee this morning in the low 30's...evidently didn't get the memo we are in the midst of a polar vortex. Unfortunately, with forecasted temps in the mid 20's, I'm afraid Softee will figure it out tonight. I bought this rose on a nursery visit during sweltering 98 degree weather this summer. Almost every other rose was sulking in the heat, but all the Softees were blooming their heads off and emitting a lovely fragrance. I haven't detected much of a scent since, though. Starting as a one gallon, own root, it has at least doubled in size in the short time I've had it and has been blooming almost non-stop on thornless canes. It's my first Ralph Moore, but if his others are as good as this one seems, I would love to try more. Sweet Chariot is already on my wish list, but haven't found it in stock anywhere yet.

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    9 years ago

Of course, Iced Tea is a winner too, and it's a faithful rebloomer that almost never is out of blooms. There are too many wonderful Moore minis to even count, and I have another ten or so on order from Burling for spring.

Cynthia

• nsdjohn
    9 years ago

Pat, Sweet Chariot is in the 2014 CCRS Auction. You still have time to bid online. We will hold until Spring if you prefer shipping at that time.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2014 CCRS Auction

• pat_bamaz7
    9 years ago

Thanks John! I've never participated in an online rose auction, but I may give that a try. Looking at your link, there are a lot of interesting ones being offered.

• roseseek
    9 years ago

John, might you please know what the parentage or code name/number for The Final Bow is? It looks very much like Huntington Pink Ice. Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Huntington Pink Ice

• roseblush1
    9 years ago

I have a lot of Ralph Moore roses and not all of them are miniature roses. No, I can't tell you which one is my favorite, but in this post 'Silver Cloud' which is a floribunda. It is the first rose to bloom in spring and is still putting out blooms in this warm fall weather we are having. I'll follow up with what many call his masterpiece, 'Linda Campbell' which is a hybrid rugosa or shrub rose, 'Ralph's Creeper' which is a ground cover rose and 'Green Ice' which is a miniature.

Smiles,
    Lyn

Silver Cloud

• roseblush1
    9 years ago

Linda Campbell

• roseblush1
    9 years ago

Ralph's Creeper close up

• roseblush1
    9 years ago

Ralph's Creeper ... plant at twilight

• roseblush1
    9 years ago

Green Ice close up

• roseblush1
    9 years ago

Green Ice in a container

• nsdjohn
    9 years ago

Kim, it's great to have this additional information. I don't know the code name, but Burling tells me that the parentage is Pink Petticoat x Strawberry Ice. I'm sure this is the same rose that was offered at the Huntington. Thanks for more of the story.

• roseseek
    9 years ago

John, I am delighted this rose still exists! I have sought it for a number of years without success. It was spotless and gorgeous in my old Newhall garden. I brought the roses Mr. Moore donated down to The Huntington and propagated the first batch of them. I had 35, one gallon Huntington Pink Ice plants that first Friends Sale. When all the other one gallon roses sold for $6.50 each, we sold every one of the 35 Huntington Pink Ice for $10.50 each. It really is a good floribunda and one I believe has some breeding potential. From his code number, the rose first flowered in 1991, 16 years before the nursery closed, 11 years before he donated it to The Huntington for fund raising. Kim

• Kippy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I found one Moore to bid on. I hope they sell out and at higher prices than I can afford

• roseseek
    9 years ago

Nope, you want this one. I found it extremely shade tolerant in Newhall and totally spotless. Both of its parents are very healthy breeders, producing very healthy offspring and this one is no exception. Perhaps it's climate specific, but there, it was a great plant and quite pretty. I would expect his last grandiflora, Sequoia Ballet, to be as healthy, though it's a significantly larger, huskier plant. Kim

• Kippy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Do they only have one or two so it will sell for $$$$?

• Kippy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I found where to return my bid sheet.

But was thinking we should send Kim the $ to bid on Final Bow

• nsdjohn
    9 years ago

Kippy, there is only one rose of each in the auction.

• roseseek
    9 years ago

Thanks, Kippy, but please go ahead and bid on it. I NEED another rose like I NEED fleas. You will enjoy it and probably propagate it. Besides, you NEED it! LOL! Thanks. Kim

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    9 years ago

I love Ralph Moore roses. I had Sweet Chariot at one time as a standard but don't anymore. Wasn't one of my favorites as the flowers shattered easily but it was a pretty little rose. Good bloomer for me.

My favorite is probably Lavender Crystal. What a little beauty! I had her as a standard and then when I pruned her, stuck a twig in the ground and it grew. The "stem" for the standard was not doing well, so I now just have her on her own root. I love her flowers and she is pretty much always in bloom for me. Gets to be about two to three feet tall and about 2 feet wide or so. Large flowers for a mini.

I also have a bi-colored rose that I don't know the name of from him. Nice mini. The color is almost a burnt pink on the edges that fades into a lighter color on the same petal. Interesting coloring. It is a strange color and I may have to move it this year as I don't think it gets enough water where it is located. Not sure I would get this one again but I got it for the strange coloration on the petals.

I have Sequoia; a nice yellow mini as well.

I have, I think, a Pink Powderpuff. It is a huge climber with wonderful full pink flowers. Very tall (probably about 10-12 feet or so. I wish it bloomed more but I do love the rose. Stands up to our heat. Mean thorns on this one.

Then I also have the rose that he bred Diamond Anniversary. It is a beautiful little mini. Took a while to get it as he was constantly out of it but sent one to my folks (for their 65th wedding anniversary even though this one is named after the 60th wedding anniversary). A very nice mini.

I also have the Birthday Cake rose. Interesting colors on this one. It has taken a while to get into a bush shape (I bought it as a small, barely rooted twig on its own root and have only had it for two years--if that). It is still quite small but I expect it to start leaping this coming spring.

I love and miss Ralph. I wish I had room for more of his roses.