Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wmas1960

Landscapers hacked down my roses

wmas1960
11 years ago

We moved into our house 2 years ago. When we bought the house there were some beautiful roses in front of the house. They were about 4' tall. Not knowing anything about growing them I did a little reading and decided to leave them be during the winters, I would clip off the spent buds and that was it. For 2 years, they wintered fine. Even after being buried under about 5' of snow in February of 2011. In the spring I would wait for them to show new growth and would trim them down to the nearest 5 leaves above the new growth.

I was shocked the other day when I looked out front and found that the landscapers had cut them almost to the ground and piled leaves around them. About 6". I know they will grow back but wondered how fast and how tall I can get them back to, next year. I am really bummed about this. I had gotten compliments from the neighbor about how wonderful they looked. And they were always full of bright red buds.

When we moved in, along with the rest of the yard, they were a bit over grown and there was a bit of dead woody branches in them. I had carefully thinned them out and trimmed them and feel I was having great success. Now, I just don't know what to expect and, maybe, if I am bummed about nothing. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Comments (13)

• wmas1960
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here are the roses, taken fairly recently. Of course, before they were cut down. Also, if anyone can help identify them.

Thanks

• wmas1960
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Photo didn't show... Here, try again

• mike_in_new_orleans
    11 years ago

I have no idea what your rose variety is; there are so many red roses that look similar. But they appear to be some sort of hybrid tea or perhaps a Buck shrub rose.

It's certainly bothersome when landscapers do things you don't ask them to do, but be consoled that what they did actually is pretty normal treatment for roses in your zone. Apparently your roses are pretty winter-hardy and don't need to be pruned hard, but many varieties don't handle the cold well and suffer significant dieback. What your landscapers did was try to protect them from the winter cold by mulching the exposed canes heavily. It looks severe, but they should bounce back fine. Actually, one benefit will be that all the branches next year will be fresh new wood, and the bushes will look rejuvinated. Main downside is that it will take part of your spring for them to recover size. I would suggest just monitor how they do this spring and summer, and if you don't like the results, be sure to explicitly tell your landscapers next winter to leave the roses alone. Oh, and of courrse make sure to fertilize them starting after the first bloom cycle in the spring. They'll benefit from te nutrition to rebuild themselves.

• michaelg
    11 years ago

They will bloom at about 2' high in late May/June and should build back to 4' over the season. There is little harm done unless a freakishly warm December promotes unseasonable growth from the base.

Do tell the yard people emphatically not to touch the roses. The fact that they pruned severely in fall proves that they don't understand roses. Rose people prune in early spring as new growth begins to swell, perhaps around April 7th for you. Take the green canes down by sections until you find white as opposed to brown center pith (which indicates winter damage). That's all there is to it with this kind of roses.

• kittymoonbeam
    11 years ago

Yes get these out of control whackers in hand right away. You did everything right. Next year be generous with food water and mulch and all will be well. As for the crew, put the fear into them so they won't be "helpful" again.

• wmas1960
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It got really cold last week. But, we seem to be looking at a warm up right now. It freezes at night but has been getting in the 50s and 60s during the day. It is supposed to continue through this next week. Also, the location is in direct sun during the entire day. that may be why they did so well through winter. If they do start to grow again before the cold really sets in, is there anything I should do to protect tender growth,? Add straw over the top or something? I don't know, this late, what I might be able to still get at our garden centers. There is a small pile of leaves around the base of each bush that could be blowing away in the wind.

Thanks for the encouragement. I wont stress too much and I know it is normal to cut them down some for winter. I saw a video online, last year, from The Chicago Botanic Garden that showed what they did with their roses. They, if I recall, , even, waited til December, after the plants were dormant. And, they cut them a bit higher than what happened here. It looked like a foot or two.

My procedure was definately based on not encouraging new growth, in the winter, maintaining some height, if possible, and cutting away what needed to be removed, IN THE SPRING, to then encourage new growth when the plant, itself decided it was ready. Last year it was a bit mild here. It may have been middle of March. The year before, I think it was about beginning of April.

Thanks again...

• catsrose
    11 years ago

Whenever I have to have help in or even around my yard I tell them to leave the roses alone and that if there is any damage to a rose it will cost them the price of replacement, shipping, and $50 for every year I've had it. It works. Last year I had my deck rebuilt. It is surrounded by roses and there was not a single broken stem.

• eahamel
    11 years ago

I could tell you a lot of stories about yardmen whacking or destroying plants! I had one who pruned my Red Cascade to the ground. It never grew back, and I had to remove it. Someone else had yardmen who pruned their tangerine tree to the same height as the privacy fence, after she told them to remove a couple of branches (and showed them which branches to remove). They also planted several potted plants in the ground but didn't take them out of the pots! The list goes on and on. At least yours will come back, but I'd be looking for someone else to do my yard. And I'd let them know why you're looking for someone else.

• wmas1960
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have no problem with my guys overall. They are good and reputable. One of the prominent services in our area. They had done my parents house for 30 years and now, continue to do mine and my two brothers. I know the supervisor and he is real experienced.

I am sure it is an issue of these guys being on auto pilot, of sorts, and my not knowing what they were doing until it was done. I will let the account manager know of my concern and I will see how it comes out next summer. Then, like one reply mentioned, I may want to make sure they are aware of my direction to leave them alone or not cut them as low. Also, if there is concern of new growth and needing some insulation for the winter, I would imagine I could ask him to bring something to cover them more.

As I asked in my last post, would it be advisable to add some more cover over them, as the leaves may blow away some?

• HerdingCats
    11 years ago

I had that happen to an Eden rose on my front low fence. The gardeners weed-whacked it...I was devastated. Had tons of new growth, buds, just beginning to explode like the photos show it can do. And they whacked it down.

I called the gardeners company and was close to tears...I love that rose, and like I said, this was the first time it was covered in buds, you know?

But now, some 6-8 weeks later, it's got a bloom again, and there are several more buds on it. Now, I live in So Ca, where roses are forced to rest, but still...I was so happy to see that one bloom.

Your roses should grow back...I understand full well how sad you are, and how frustrated. But...I bet next spring, they come back bigger and better than ever.

Best-
    Herding Cats

• michaelg
    11 years ago

wmas--there is nothing you can do to protect tender new growth through a Chicago winter. Either it will be frozen or it will rot because of your extreme efforts to protect it. It will waste some of your plants' stored energy, but older, established plants can absorb that loss, no sweat.

• Ariel7
    11 years ago

Wmas, reading your posts, I share your concern. Your beautiful babies were hacked down to six inches or so, and now they may have some tender new growth.

A couple of thoughts. First, since these are established roses, they will probably come through the winter just fine. If you have more days of freezing temps, you will lose the new growth, though.

What kills hardy roses is not the freezing temps per se, but the alternating temperatures in springtime, often warm, then freezing and back again. For this reason, you may want to cover those roses a bit more. A nice heap of dry leaves, say at least six inches or more, then follow that with compost or dirt from elsewhere, enough so that altogether you mound your roses at least four inches above the bud union--the place where the branches and root stock comes together. Do this after a killing frost--a frost that leaves the leaves droopy and dying. The reason for waiting for a killing frost is so that at least some of the bugs, fungi, etc, that would like to overwinter on your rose stems get killed. Don't uncover these mounds until the last frost free date in your area (probably mid April).

Don't use compost which may be very moist, for example, fresh grass clippings. You want to cut down on the possibility of fungus.

Do make sure you roses get some water, though, if the winter is dry. If possible, water around the mounds, rather than the top. Also, make sure your roses are well watered before you mulch them. I don't think watering will be a concern to you, though, as it is to me.

Going back to pruning--you did everything right. The only reason to prune when putting roses to bed is to keep them from getting damaged in severe wind. Otherwise, leave your roses alone until spring. The reason for this is that roses draw on the food in their stems through the winter. Also, in spring it will give you more rose to choose from when you prune. Next time you will have that option.

Cheers!

• wmas1960
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Again, I would like to thank all who contributed to this topic. I now have some stuff to think about going forward, some comfort and a lot of encourgagement and support. I think I can now make it through the winter without too much worry and concern. Maybe as some have said, there will be some benefit, in that, the overgrown bushes will have new growth that may be better to manage.

These roses are special to me, even though I didn't plant them and maintain them from the start. I don't know how long they had been there but they were a big focal point and one of the things I immediately noticed when we first looked at the house to buy it. I immediately thought of my mother when I saw them and how much of a gardener she was. I had hopes that I would be able to have her over and she could help me tame the jungle around the yard.

However, as fate would have it, she had an accident about the time that we closed on the house and never pulled through. In fact, she died the weekend that we moved in. As I walked out the door, on the day of her visitation the bush,similar to it's appearance in the above photo, Contained several beautiful red buds. I went back in the house got a scissors and cut them and took them to the funeralhome with me. The next morning, when we arrived before the funeral, I saw them arranged nicely in her hands. As a result, they will always have some special place in my heart as a reminder.

We had some yews in the front yard also which were, kind of robbing half the garden of sunlight. After having those removed last summer because they were severely overgrown, there was another small rose that just wasn't doing anything. We almost didn't know it was there. One shoot that was really thin. It is now about 5 times the size and there are several shoots to the plant. The landscapers did cover that with leaves also. Then there is a third bush that wasn't doing much in the last 2 years but was more substantial. It has now doubled in size and got a lot more hardy. I am looking forward to how the three will look next spring.