Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ameri2nal

Sunny Knockout?

I see Bill Radler has added a yellow to his famous family. Has anyone grown it? I'm interested in its size, and how the flowers do in the sun. Do they blanch, or do they hold their color? Any commments would be helpful.

Al

Comments (8)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    16 years ago

I have no first-hand knowledge of this rose, but in the pics I've seen, it appears to be a very colorless bloom--white with kind of a faded yellowish center. I think it is ugly, if you want to know the truth, and in the past a few posters have expressed disappointment with it. However, I remember at least one poster claiming to like it, so maybe it is more a matter of taste.

Did you do a search (search box near the top of the page) of the rose forums? I know this rose has been commented on several times, although not a lot.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Kate

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    16 years ago

I don't know of anyone who has grown it. I worked at a garden center over the summer, the managers went to a trade show and saw it there. They said that the new blooms were butter yellow that faded to white as it aged. I have heard that it might not be available until 2009, limited availability in 2008.

• ltruett
    16 years ago

Here is some more info.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sunny Knockout

• Al Mitchell zone 5b (ameri2nal)
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the advice. I'm really looking for something that doesn't fade too badly, but is hardy. Tough one....

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    16 years ago

Julia Child, I think, but the zone 5ers can give more info. Also take a look at the selection at Palatine Roses.

• karl_bapst_rosenut
    16 years ago

Radler has had a yellow on the market for quite sometime . Carefree Sunshine has been available since 2003. In my yard the color holds well, it's extremely hardy, and repeats well. The bush gets 4-5 feet tall and some 3-4 feet wide. It takes well to keeping it pruned down to a smaller size.

• rosemarek
    16 years ago

I'm also looking for a no-fading yellow rose and I will try the new Curruth rose, Shockwave. It is available at Edmunds. They say the following in their catalog:

"There's no rose that's any 'yellowier' and no foliage that's any 'greenier'. The combo makes your eyes blink! The classically formed, spiraled flowers hold on to their searing hot yellow tones to the very end."

I talked to a rose photographer that had have this rose for two years in his garden (sorry I do not know his name, he used to take pictures for the wonderful Edmunds catalog; it looks the photographers get the new roses a couple years before all of us.) He said the rose is pretty simular to Julia Child in grow habbits and the way it blooms.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shockwave

• lacy_gardener
    15 years ago

The Sunny Knockout Rose is the first fragrant intro to the knockout family, its color does fade, but comes out in a bright yellow color. And with so many blooms all season long, it never looks like there is a lack of color. It has a dwarf compact size and is a prolific bloomer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sunny Knockout Roses