Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_8959062

Minerva...and other blues

User
9 years ago

I have been wrestling with lavender lust and purple passion and find my finger hovering over the 'buy' button. I have always disliked 'blue' roses of the hybrid tea persuasion but caved in a couple of years ago with 'Blue for You' and am now looking at Minerva, a lovely looking thing from bred by Vissers in Belgium. Unlike BFY, the central part of the bloom does not fade...and the stamens are a good orange-y colour. I have already ordered Ripples (Legrice) and Odyssey (a really good lavender from the breeder of Rhapsody in Blue (which I am not keen on because of it's ugly growth habit) and Purple Skyliner (a delight). Minerva though....anyone grow it?

Comments (14)

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

I don't know about Minerva but if it's available there my best lavender is Love Song. It's a fabulous bloomer and has above average disease resistance. Smells good too!

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    9 years ago

Seil, that is an enabling picture of Love Song!

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    9 years ago

Blue Bayou from 2014. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    9 years ago

Here's 2014 Blueberry Hill. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    9 years ago

More lavender...Love Song 2014. I love this rose, too. She had just been planted probably a week before this, in very hot temps, and never stopped blooming all summer. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    9 years ago

How about some purple? Here's Twilight Zone 2014. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    9 years ago

And my favorite coreopsis, Mercury Rising. Diane

• Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    9 years ago

Love looking at everyone's roses. Here is a video of Minerva. It looks beautiful as well. I don't see where to purchase it though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Minerva video

9 years ago

This photo of Minerva is just lovely.

Here is a link that might be useful: photo of Minerva on HMF

• Jim_in_AV
    9 years ago

I stand by the best lavender I've grown, Charles de Gaulle.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    9 years ago

I like Angel Face, too, though it isn't the hardiest for me. The blooms are worth it. Diane

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    9 years ago

I only have Blue Girl for lavender roses. I am looking to get some more though. I love lavender and purples!
    {{gwi:570330}}

I love lavender so much that I even have a lavender rooster lol. He thinks he's a flower sitting in this flower pot :D
    Lavender Orpington
    {{gwi:2121056}}

9 years ago

Too funny, SJN. He's a beautiful guy and I think he knows it. He must make some good fertilizer for you :)

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    9 years ago

Thanks jasminerose4u ! Yep we get a lot of chicken fertilizer around here and they eat lots of bugs too :)
    ~SJN