Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sara_ann_gw

How long is your rose season?

sara_ann-z6bok
10 years ago

How many months out of the year do you actually have roses blooming? I can have roses blooming as early as mid to late April, but usually early May through November. I remember one year, I'm thinking it was either 2006 or 2007 we had an unusually mild winter and my roses started getting buds on them in late March, I thought that was great until we had a few mornings in a row that it got really cold, so they got a later than normal start that year. Of course I'm always anxious for the season to begin, but only when the time is right. I will admit I have been a little envious of those of you who do have a longer season, but realize the time they don't bloom gives me an opportunity to plan for the next one and the spring flush is so worth waiting for.

Comments (22)

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    10 years ago

Blooms start end of May here until late October...

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

12 months. When I prune in Jan I have to cut off blooms and buds. The early Spring flush of the old once bloomers (the banksies and Lamarque) overlap with the on-going blooming of the old teas and tea noisettes. It calms down a bit Oct-Dec, but there is always some sort of bloom on half a dozen bushes.

Jackie

• michaelg
    10 years ago

Traditionally, mid-May to mid-November, but in recent years the date of last damaging frost in spring has moved back a couple of weeks.

Like you, I have learned that too much warmth in early March is not a good thing. Robert Frost addressed a poem to a young apple tree that ended, "Good-bye and keep cold."

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Occasionally spring bloom may start in early May and/or end in early December, but the more usual pattern would be spring bloom in mid-May and final blooms in mid November--roughly inbetween Jim's zone 6 in Pennsylvania and Sara-Ann's zone 6 in Oklahoma.

I'm usually rather glad to have a one-quarter year work-break--otherwise known as winter--though I do miss my roses.

Kate

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Hmmm...tough one. It really is dependent on what winter/spring decides to do. A couple of years ago, when we had the winter that wasn't, I had roses open the first week of May. That's rare tough. Most springs it's around Memorial Day when I get the first open blooms. This past spring, however, we experienced the winter that wouldn't quit. I didn't get open blooms until the beginning of the second week in June.

Same thing on the other end as well. Some years I can have blooms as late as Thanksgiving. This year though I'm already done for. They stopped opening about a week or two ago.

So altogether I'd say I get about a 5 month window of blooming most years. The season is a little longer since we get very excited to see those leaf buds start to open in the beginning of April and then do a several week dormancy watch in November so we can put them to bed for the winter. With those I'd say my rose "season" is about 8 months long.

• bethnorcal9
    10 years ago

My season runs full-on from early April til mid-November. But I often get a few blooms as early as February, and as late as December. Just depends on the weather and what varieties they are. I've actually even had a handful of blooms at Christmas and New Years. Those usually are full of botrytis tho, and because I didn't get the winter pruning done.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

I prune in January and by mid April if not sooner there's new growth, and buds begin to appear, and late April is the beginning of the spring flush. Now in November there is lots of growth still, and many blooms, and December is still quite good. Some roses, like Sdlm, bloom 11 months of the year. Generally speaking, I'd say the season of actual bloom is 9-10 months out of the year. However, there is a diminution of bloom during the hottest summer months.

Ingrid

• ken-n.ga.mts
    10 years ago

In my little valley micro climate I can start seeing roses in late April as long as we don't have a freeze in April. This year everything shut down last weekend. We had some chilly weather all Oct. to get the ground fairly cold, then when everyone else got frost we had a freeze in our area. Three miles away at the church I attend all the roses are still blooming and looking good. What a difference a few miles makes.

• paparoseman
    10 years ago

My earliest rose blooms happen around April 15th to right around May 1st. The Albas and gallicas really get going around May 20th and everything else except my few HT's are blooming like crazy by June 1st. The HT's wait a few extra days but then they are blooming while the other repeat blooming roses are getting deadheaded for their next flush.

• susan4952
    10 years ago

Budding and blooming starts in May. Lasts til mid November . Fullest and most beautiful June through mid October. Same as Kate, I look forward to winter break so my hands can heal.

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Usually from March through December, but there are often flowers on the more "evergreen" ones all year. Most often, "flowering season" is terminated by pruning, which I am increasingly inclined to accomplish in October and November to make most efficient use of any "rains" we may receive. Kim

• amberroses
    10 years ago

All year, but they look pretty bad in the summer.

• deervssteve
    10 years ago

Everything except the HT and Pompon have shut down.
    I'm expecting the blooms to start appearing in March.

Saint Patrick seems to gone into perpetual bloom mode.
    The left square is new growth and the right square is when the cage is too close to the bush.

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    10 years ago

Blooms start trickling in after Mother's Day weekend and majority end 3rd weekend in October. Anything else before or after, are gifts!

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is very interesting, appreciate everyone who has contributed so far.

• Campanula UK Z8
    10 years ago

mid May (for R.primula, Cantabridgiensis)
    early to mid June for everything else, although a few don't get going till July (Aimee Vibert, Nastarana).
    There might be odd blooms in late November but most of them have finished by mid October (although there are a couple of gallant long bloomers such as Iceberg, an unidentified rugosa and a few of the hybrid musks)

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    10 years ago

In my midwestern zone 5, I'd say probably around late May to mid-November. This year, the roses are still going strong and even though we've had some below freezing weather, it hasn't hit parts of my yard and I still have tomatoes and even impatiens (who usually wimp out at the slightest hint old frost). I wouldn't be surprised if the roses bloom into December this year.

It's interesting that even folks in warmer zones only have 2 or 3 more months of bloom than we do - even Kim in zone 10. I always picture the warmer zones as year-round roses, but it seems they take a down time in almost any climate. I'm with Kate - I need just a few months without active rose chores (so I can concentrate on buying NEW roses).

Cynthia

• lainey2 VA
    10 years ago

For the past six years, I have had roses for Thanksgiving, but they don't seem to fit with my autumnal décor. In December, I tuck the freeze dried buds into boxwood wreaths, which look adorable. In mid March, when I prune, I reluctantly prune some new buds, but they all come back for another glorious season.

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    10 years ago

I usually see my first blooms by late March. Everything is blooming by April and many roses will bloom through December.

Lynn

• kittymoonbeam
    10 years ago

I am in agreement Kim, I have been moving my pruning back recently. I used to do it all on or around New Years Day. I would be cutting off long long stems with roses and making New Years bouquets of roses and sweetpeas. The HTs and FLs never really stop, they just slow down Dec-Feb. Iceberg always has flowers. The Polys usually always have flowers. Minis and David Austins put out flowers here and there.
    I do a big trim to keep plants from falling over and clean out dead wood and really old canes. The sporadic Austins and HTs are large in the cool temps. Only the plants that got a big trim are unable to make blooms until they get new leaves and wood grown again.

One thing I have learned is to stagger my pruning so that the spring blooms don't all come at once. If the weather is bad one week, I still have plants waiting to go or have already finished peak bloom and I haven't lost the whole spring show.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

52 weeks. It takes so long to prune that by the time I get to the last ones the first ones I did are blooming again. Which is sort of nice.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's been fun reading everyone's responses. No matter how long someone's season is roses should be a joy to grow. I know we all have our own issues with them, but as long as they give us enjoyment that is what really matters.