Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stephenc2010

Lime Sulphur banned by the EPA!

stephenc2010
13 years ago

I have been looking everywhere for lime sulphur. I talked to a very nice customer service representative at Bonide who informed me that it has been banned by the EPA and it is illegal to manufacture it in the U.S. What should I use instead? I am thinking to just use my regular copper fungicide in a slightly higher concentration while the plants are dormant in combination with a dormant oil spray. Any thoughts on this or suggestions?

Thank you, Steve

Comments (21)

• michaelg
    13 years ago

Yes, copper fungicide might be more effective than lime sulfur anyway. It has a wider spectrum.

I don't bother with dormant sprays myself.

• landperson
    13 years ago

I don't know anything about lime sulphur, but I do use Liqui-Cop (Monterey)-- copper -- for the very limited spraying that I sometimes do in the spring to get us over the fungal onslaught caused by our cool late rains. It was recommended to me at the own root rose nursery where I have bought almost all of my roses, and it seems reasonably inoffensive.

Susan

• petaloid
    13 years ago

Volck Oil mixed with Cooke Kop-R-Spray works well here as a spray and soil drench. In this area it's best to apply it after winter pruning.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    13 years ago

I don't bother with dormant sprays either.
    But, I hope you get this situation sorted and find out
    what the real facts are on this subject.
    Others would probably like to know.

• Cindy Ehrenreich
    13 years ago

Our Bonide rep told us the company just wasn't making enough money on it to keep producing it. It all comes down to profit.

• inf0_info_com
    13 years ago

Due to suicides using Lime sulfur and Strong acid to produce Hydrogen Sulfide. Painless deal in a sec.

• dimitrig
    13 years ago

The manager of my local Armstrong Nursery says they do not carry lime sulphur anymore and cannot get any.

• erasmus_gw
    13 years ago

I do know lime sulphur spray is not harmless. I tied a bandana over my nose while spraying it and still got quite a bit of lung irritation. It's better to use a respirator with it. Seems to me that even spraying horticultural oil could be bad for lungs.

• professorroush
    13 years ago

My local gardening centers (2 of them) have Lime-Sulpher; Hi-Yield Brand.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Musings blog

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    13 years ago

I also thought it had been banned. After it clogged my sprayer, I never thought it was harmless.

Sammy

• henry_kuska
    13 years ago

It is my "impression" that when the EPA requires (suggests) that a product's registration be withdrawn, they allow existing retail stock to be sold.

• anntn6b
    13 years ago

To stop the clogging, make your solution with HOT water. A mass of hot water will retain its heat for the time it takes you to spray it and as the aerosol passes through the air it will cool before it hits its target.

We never smell it because we use the full duty chemical respirators that we also use for paint stripping and digging into walls where critters have lived for decades (old house renovators know not to breath that cr*p)

• donnieappleseed
    13 years ago

I was also told by a Bonide representative a few days ago that the EPA was not allowing them to sell lime sulfur.....so I have to wonder if that is not the real story....and if so, why am I not hearing more about it.

• mike_rivers
    13 years ago

Lime sulfur is not banned by the EPA. As best I can determine, the facts are these: A congressional act of 1988 required the EPA to review and consider for reregistraion all pesticides, including lime sulfur, registered before 1984. In 2005, lime sulfur was approved for reregistration (see link, below). Evidently, reregistration of an individual product containing lime sulfur, such as Bonide's, costs money and Bonide chose to not pay the fee.

Here is a link that might be useful: EPA decision on Lime Sulfur

• newtie
    12 years ago

You can order it on line from amazon or from the Ace Hardware superstore, and your local Ace hardware may be able to get it for you. An alternative is the pet dip version of calcium polysulfide which is 98% and comes in 16 oz. bottles versus the Hi Yield brand of Lime sulfur which is 29 % calcium polysulfide and comes in 32 oz. bottles. The price after dilution is similar. Calcium polysulfide when diluted is stinky, effective, and relatively safe for humans. Wear rubber gloves so your hands won't stink and wear eye protection, especially when diluting the concentrate. It is very caustic (pH = 11+) and could cause blindness if the concentrate was splashed into the eye. (It can denature protein in the cornea) Other than that, it is quite safe, assuming you are not planning to drink it. (Don't mix it with acids). In my experience it is a very effective dormant spray for roses and fruit trees and bramble berry crops, and has some nutrient value when washed by rain into soils.

• kathy9norcal
    12 years ago

I have chosen to use copper and oil the last few years with good results. It seems much safer to me.

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    12 years ago

In my area Lime Sulfur is hard to use. There should be no freezing temp for at least 24 hours and growth should not be started. So I don't use it. I sprayed my roses before I covered them with manzate. I will use manzate again after I prune in the spring.Of course when you prune you cut off cane containg spores on them. Around here we have to prune to the ground So lime sulfur won't help anyway

• PRO
    Charles Amen Cabinet
    8 years ago

Try a vet supply outlet if you can't find it at your garden center.

• Mark Jacobs
    7 years ago

Lime Sulpher spray used to be sold by Ortho as well as Hi Yield and was very effective as an end of the season spray to protect roses during the winter months from excessive die back as well as black spot and rust in the spring. Both Ortho and Hi Yield have discontinued selling it, but Lime Sulpher is still available. One brand is called Banner XX and available via Amazon.

This is another source from California. http://www.groworganic.com/brandt-lime-sulfur-fungicide-2-5-gallon.html

• PRO
    Charles Amen Cabinet
    7 years ago

misinformed...exclamation point........"Lime Sulphur Banned By The EPA!" google search click here 8/30/16

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider