Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lime Sulphur banned by the EPA!

Posted by stephenc2010 5b (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 13, 10 at 8:32

I have been looking everywhere for lime sulphur. I talked to a very nice customer service representative at Bonide who informed me that it has been banned by the EPA and it is illegal to manufacture it in the U.S. What should I use instead? I am thinking to just use my regular copper fungicide in a slightly higher concentration while the plants are dormant in combination with a dormant oil spray. Any thoughts on this or suggestions?

Thank you, Steve

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lime Sulphur banned by the EPA!

Yes, copper fungicide might be more effective than lime sulfur anyway. It has a wider spectrum.

I don't bother with dormant sprays myself.

o

I don't know anything about lime sulphur, but I do use Liqui-Cop (Monterey)-- copper -- for the very limited spraying that I sometimes do in the spring to get us over the fungal onslaught caused by our cool late rains. It was recommended to me at the own root rose nursery where I have bought almost all of my roses, and it seems reasonably inoffensive.

Susan

o

Volck Oil mixed with Cooke Kop-R-Spray works well here as a spray and soil drench. In this area it's best to apply it after winter pruning.

o

I don't think this is correct information. I just checked online and found a 2005 EPA reassessment of the environmental risks presented by lime sulfur. The document indicates that the EPA determined there were almost zero environmental risks, and no human health risks, presented by lime sulfur.

I also can find other lime sulfur formulations for sale on the internet. I don't know why Bonide appears to have suspended its production of lime sulfur, but I don't think it's because lime sulfur per se has been banned for use as a horticultural pesticide by the EPA.

o

• Posted by jim1961 z 5/6 central pa (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 13, 10 at 11:34

I don't bother with dormant sprays either.
But, I hope you get this situation sorted and find out
what the real facts are on this subject.
Others would probably like to know.

o

Our Bonide rep told us the company just wasn't making enough money on it to keep producing it. It all comes down to profit.

o

Due to suicides using Lime sulfur and Strong acid to produce Hydrogen Sulfide. Painless deal in a sec.

o

The manager of my local Armstrong Nursery says they do not carry lime sulphur anymore and cannot get any.

o

I do know lime sulphur spray is not harmless. I tied a bandana over my nose while spraying it and still got quite a bit of lung irritation. It's better to use a respirator with it. Seems to me that even spraying horticultural oil could be bad for lungs.

o

My local gardening centers (2 of them) have Lime-Sulpher; Hi-Yield Brand.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Musings blog

o

I also thought it had been banned. After it clogged my sprayer, I never thought it was harmless.

Sammy

o

It is my "impression" that when the EPA requires (suggests) that a product's registration be withdrawn, they allow existing retail stock to be sold.

o

To stop the clogging, make your solution with HOT water. A mass of hot water will retain its heat for the time it takes you to spray it and as the aerosol passes through the air it will cool before it hits its target.

We never smell it because we use the full duty chemical respirators that we also use for paint stripping and digging into walls where critters have lived for decades (old house renovators know not to breath that cr*p)

o

I was also told by a Bonide representative a few days ago that the EPA was not allowing them to sell lime sulfur.....so I have to wonder if that is not the real story....and if so, why am I not hearing more about it.

o

Lime sulfur is not banned by the EPA. As best I can determine, the facts are these: A congressional act of 1988 required the EPA to review and consider for reregistraion all pesticides, including lime sulfur, registered before 1984. In 2005, lime sulfur was approved for reregistration (see link, below). Evidently, reregistration of an individual product containing lime sulfur, such as Bonide's, costs money and Bonide chose to not pay the fee.

Here is a link that might be useful: EPA decision on Lime Sulfur

o

You can order it on line from amazon or from the Ace Hardware superstore, and your local Ace hardware may be able to get it for you. An alternative is the pet dip version of calcium polysulfide which is 98% and comes in 16 oz. bottles versus the Hi Yield brand of Lime sulfur which is 29 % calcium polysulfide and comes in 32 oz. bottles. The price after dilution is similar. Calcium polysulfide when diluted is stinky, effective, and relatively safe for humans. Wear rubber gloves so your hands won't stink and wear eye protection, especially when diluting the concentrate. It is very caustic (pH = 11+) and could cause blindness if the concentrate was splashed into the eye. (It can denature protein in the cornea) Other than that, it is quite safe, assuming you are not planning to drink it. (Don't mix it with acids). In my experience it is a very effective dormant spray for roses and fruit trees and bramble berry crops, and has some nutrient value when washed by rain into soils.

o

I have chosen to use copper and oil the last few years with good results. It seems much safer to me.

o

In my area Lime Sulfur is hard to use. There should be no freezing temp for at least 24 hours and growth should not be started. So I don't use it. I sprayed my roses before I covered them with manzate. I will use manzate again after I prune in the spring.Of course when you prune you cut off cane containg spores on them. Around here we have to prune to the ground So lime sulfur won't help anyway

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here