Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kingcobbtx7b

A question on two climbing roses

kingcobbtx7b
10 years ago

Madame Gregoire Staechelin and Zephirine Droublin have both caught my eye. My questions are how do they grow for others, I am in zone 9.

Actually my main question with MGS is about the fact that it is once blooming. I love the color, but would prefer a plant that repeats.

In regards to ZD, I also love the color, but have been told it is very susceptible to Blackspot.

Any recommendations on these or similar climbing roses?

Comments (9)

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

Where are you gardening? WIthout that info it is impossible for anyone to give you good advice, because we have discovered that many roses act completely differently in different climates. It not only depends on the heat/cold issue, it depends on whether you summers are dry or wet, etc. etc.

For example, in many parts of the country ZD is a beloved rose. I live in warm No California. However, I also live within 4 blocks of SF Bay. We are NOT humid in the Summer, but evidently just the right climate for ZD to get ridiculous mildew. Mine was completely white with it all of the time, even when I sprayed it. Awful - so I took it out.

Looking forward to hearing about where you are -

Jackie

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

Zephie does best with some winter chill, and yes excellent black spotter. In most all of the zone 9s, humid or dry, the Noisettes and Tea-Noisettes make good climbers.

• kingcobbtx7b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry I thought I included where I live. I live on the upper Texas Coast near Galveston.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

You might also try Austin's Generous Gardener--lovely and disease-resistant.

Austin has several other nice pink climbers, if pink is what you are looking for.

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Generous Gardener

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

You might want to look at Duchesse de Brabant. I think it got the "earth kind" designation in Texas, which means it should do well in your climate. Also, your climate is warm enough that it should make a nice medium climber - mine gets to 8-9 feet tall here.

As a matter of fact, what I would do is look at that "earth kind" list, and then look at every single tea rose that is on it. Tea roses which are not listed as climbers will often get tall enough to use them that way in zone 9. I have an Anna Olivier which is 10-12 feet high, but not listed as a climber. Also I think you could do that with Grandmother's Hat. All teas bloom almost continuously in warm climates.

Jackie

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    10 years ago

Kingcobb,

It is my understanding that Galveston is "very" humid? If this is correct, I would heed the warning regarding roses that have more of a propensity to blackspot; unless you spray regularly.

I am in Zone 9 too, but my climate is very arid. I never saw a spot on Z.D. She also had issues with high temperatures and had to be planted in an area with limited sun and afternoon shade where there it thrived.

Lynn

• kingcobbtx7b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Would rosarium uetersen climbing rose be a good alternative for here in Texas. It seems to have a similar color and looks to bloom quite continously.

• catsrose
    10 years ago

You have both Chamblee's Roses and Antique Rose Emporium in TX. I'd make your selection from their offerings and advise. BTW, ZD is not a good repeater. I've never had luck with Rosarium Uetersen, but my climate and soil are different.

• User
    10 years ago

I grow them both in England and despite having small flaws, they are wonderful roses, worth cosseting. True, Madame Gregoire does not repeat but comes early into bloom which continues, at a turbo charged rate for 6 weeks. No deadheading needed because it will make enormous globular heps, easily larger than rugosa heps, with a pale orange colouring perfectly suited to autumn. The fresh green foliage is also heartbreakingly beautiful and the blooms have a fragrance reminiscent of sweet peas.
    Zephirine is altogether a bit more problematic in that it tends to suffer terribly from powdery mildew....which can be greatly alleviated without spraying by careful siting. It hates being planted against a wall but performs far better on a chainlink or post and rail fence - ventilation is very key for this rose, as is ensuring sufficient moisture at the root zone (but doesn't all of Texas have irrigation set-ups?). A strict pruning regime with ruthless thinning and rotating the long green canes, cutting every lateral hard to within a bud or 2, maintains an open airflow and encourages a great spring flush (although the second flush occurs at the ends of the much longer laterals and has to be regarded as an extra rather than a given spectacle. A famously fragrant rose.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus