Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bosewichte

what climbing rose fits this spot?

bosewichte
11 years ago

I've always loved roses but I've never been in one place long enough to plant them. Well, my husband and I have settled in upcountry South Carolina and plan on staying indefinitely.

We have a back deck over a 2-car carport (see picture) in a semi-shaded spot. I'd love to put a potted climbing rose on each side and let it climb up and be trained around the railing of the deck.

Any suggestions for this zone (7b/8a) and shade requirement, that can live in a big pot (pot size suggestions, too)? I'd love pale pink, pale yellow...I'm not a huge fan of red.

Thank you so much!

Comments (16)

• Karolina11
    11 years ago

Do you have any idea how many hours of sun it gets? At least six hours will get you the best selection but there are some that will do okay in 4-5 hours daily.

• bosewichte
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It gets direct sun from 10 a.m. - ish to later afternoon. But - when the trees have their summer foliage - it won't be so strong. To be safe, I ought to go with the 4 - 5 hours of sun selections!

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    11 years ago

Is there any reason the roses can't go in the ground? I think you'd have much more vigorous growth that would enable the roses to climb to the height you envision. If they can survive in your zone,Cl. Lady Hillingdon, Reve d'Or and Crepuscule would be beautiful. Viking Queen is a beautiful pink rose that will stand up to more cold than the others mentioned. Even some of the hybrid musks like Lavender Lassie can be grown as wonderul climbers if you train the in that fashion.

Ingrid

• jacqueline9CA
    11 years ago

It is difficult to tell from the picture - is that dirt or pavement under all of those leaves? I agree that putting the roses in the ground would be the best long term solution - even if that is pavement, could you have some of it dug up and removed (perhaps way to the left and the right of those posts?), so that you could put roses in the ground?

Jackie

• Kippy
    11 years ago

You can use those two downspouts for some free irrigation too!

• bosewichte
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It gets direct sun from 10 a.m. - ish to later afternoon. But - when the trees have their summer foliage - it won't be so strong. To be safe, I ought to go with the 4 - 5 hours of sun selections!

• bosewichte
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I *believe* it's concrete, but just to the side of each post is dirt. Maybe I could plant there and just vigorously train! :)

Oh boy...my first roses!

• Karolina11
    11 years ago

Is there a variety that you enjoy? I have no semi-shade climbers but some that I have read good reviews on in semi-shade are David Austin's - Graham Thomas, Gertrude Jekyll, Benjamin Britten, and one that I have ordered for spring myself is Golden Celebration.

Here is a link that might be useful: Semi-shade David Austin roses

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    11 years ago

I still have to love New Dawn for a gorgeous climber that blooms in a lot of shade. She's incredibly thorny and not fragrant (to me) but she's just so beautiful!

Renae is another favorite climber of mine that takes some shade. Her fragrance is gorgeous, and her semi-double blooms are very pretty, especially in person.

I'd probably do big pots and in-ground if I were you. What I do is saw big, big holes out of the bottoms of big pots. Then I know the rose has both the soil in the pot and it can get it's most aggressive roots into the ground, too. This is in places where I'm concerned about not really having a large planting hole. Or just where a big ole pot looks good, too :) I do it by arbors, for instance.

• bosewichte
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, I've ALWAYS loved New Dawn. I was just afraid that it might be too aggressive for this area...although, maybe the partial shade would keep it in check!

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    11 years ago

You might have to keep up with the pruners for her, yeah, but she does take well to that. I know she's thorny and mean, but thin her out once a year and she'll be so beautiful! Just tell her who's boss, that's all :D

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

You might want to check out the David Austin site. He lists which of his climbers can tolerate partial shade. But check their height carefully--a number of his climbers should probably be classified as shorter climbers--may not be tall enough for you.

However, David Austin also recommends the following climbers even though he did not produce them:
    Cecile Brunner Climbing
    New Dawn
    Mme. Alfred Carriere

I haven't grown any of those, but I'm under the impressions that they are much taller climbers. You might want to check them (and other roses you are interested in) at helpmefind.com (great resource, if you don't already know).

Hope that helps.

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: David Austin Roses

• bosewichte
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you so much for all of your help! I'm on vacation now and don't have time to check out the suggestions, but I promise I will next week. I'm excited to get started!

• susan4952
    11 years ago

Great potential in this spot.

• catsrose
    11 years ago

Roses, esp climbers, really do not like to be in pots. They need plenty of room for their roots to support the growth. New Dawn is very thorny and not a good rose for anyplace where there is likely to be a lot activity. Crepuscle and Madame Alfred are good choice and both will take some shade. Look into noisettes.

You have one of the best rose nurseries nearby--Roses Unlimited, in Laurens. Go visit them, see the roses in person, take a photo to Bill & Pat and get their feedback.

• bosewichte
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! I don't think I'll try them in pots. I know there's ground within inches of the downspouts on the sides of the carport, although one side doesn't get quite as much sun. I'll just train them forward a bit. I checked Laurens...it's only an hour away...I will take that photo and get some advice. Thanks again!

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm