Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bellarosa009

Planting roses now..ok to do?

bellarosa
10 years ago

Hi,
Is it ok to plant roses now? I'm in zone 5. They are forecasting low temps in our area - low 30's and possibly light snow. Ugh..should I just pot up the roses and leave them in my unheated garage? The roses are Kordes climbing roses. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Comments (9)

• michaelg
    10 years ago

Are these bare-root roses, small potted own-root roses, large potted roses from the garden center?

• lesmc
    10 years ago

I just planted 3 bare roots yesterday. I am in Louisville,Ky zone 6. This is risky, I am told, but I have done this many times with no problems. They come out strong in spring. I know this might not work this time,tho. Someone will post excellent advice for you...I am no expert! Lesley

• bellarosa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry, I should have mentioned that these are bareroot roses that were shipped to me from Palatine Nursery in Canada.

I think I'm just going to soak them tonight and plant them out tomorrow. I'll cover them up with mulch around the base. Hope they can make it through our tough Winters!

• User
    10 years ago

Newbie here. I had to move a rose right before Thanksgiving last year. The rose survived, but had a lot of winter dieback. I haven't had it long enough to tell whether it is because it is borderline winter hardy here or whether the move caused more dieback than it should have had.

I would be interested in seeing Michael's and other suggestions. Keep us posted as to how your roses turn out.

• michaelg
    10 years ago

Yes, I would plant them now. Light soil, if available, is better for mounding than organic material.

• bellarosa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Michael, what do you mean by "light soil"? I've never heard of that term.

Thanks everyone for your input! I'll keep you posted on my roses.

• michaelg
    10 years ago

Heaviest soil--pure clay. Lightest soil--pure sand. Prairie loam is OK for mounding.

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    10 years ago

Obviously, now isn't ideal planting time, particularly if the ground is starting to freeze like ours and it's hard to dig the holes. If you have to plant a rose this late in the season, at least it's a bare root that's dormant and hopefully can just stay dormant during the winter. In essence, you're keeping them in the deep cold condition that Palatine had them in before shipping. Mounding some soil around them helps protect the graft, and make sure you plant that graft (the knobby part with the canes growing from it) at least 2-4" below the natural soil level.

In future years, you'll have less hassle if you request that the roses be delivered in spring. Bareroot roses should be planted in whatever is early spring in your zone, as the crocus and early daffodils are blooming, if not before. For me, that's early April or in a good year, late March.

Cynthia

• susan4952
    10 years ago

Agree with Cynthia. 100 percent as usual.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!