Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boncrow66

Belinda's dream or Zaide

boncrow66
9 years ago

I am planning on planting a hedge using 3 roses and I am considering BD or Zaide. If anyone has grown either of these roses as a hedge please share your experience. Also pics and other suggestions are welcome too. Thanks! :)

Comments (10)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

I may be alone in this but my Belinda's Dream has a strong tendency to develop ugly brown edges to its leaves when it's a little bit warm. My climate is hot and dry and its spot is very sunny all day, so this may not be a problem with you. The flowers are large, beautiful and fragrant when it's happy.

Ingrid

• sara_ann-z6bok
    9 years ago

Boncrow - I have noticed Zaide and wondered about it, looks like it would be a very good rose and would put on a beautiful display as a hedge. I love Belinda's Dream, and while I don't grow mine as a hedge, I think it would make an attractive one, my bushes have a nice shape and mine seems to be very disease resistant. While BD is a good bloomer, it looks to me like Zaide blooms even more and might put on a better display.

• particentral
    9 years ago

I have a Belinda's dream hedge with 7 plants against a wall. Its 8 foot tall and thick. covered in blooms that are huge and fragrant and plentiful. It always has blooms.

It does ball in rainy weather.

{{gwi:338420}}

{{gwi:286714}}

The above photo of the entire hedge is two years old. Its bigger and thicker this year.

Also, mine are own root and were (Hee hee) Kmart rescues after year sale for .50 each I think. YES I have about $3.50 in the hedge...LOL

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Particentral thanks for the response and the beautiful pictures of BD, that is exactly what I was hoping I would be able to accomplish with either rose. I think I am sold on BD, although I have read good things about Zaide I think bd is the way to go. And congrats on such a good bargain lol, I do love a good deal :).

• vasue VA
    9 years ago

Two 3-gallon own root Belinda's Dream new this Spring, picked up locally at Lowe's (of all places), did very well in hot & humid central VA with no spray & no black spot, even this late now in the season. One had a touch of mildew that responded to water spray & hasn't recurred. No hard frost yet & they're still budding & blooming. Really liking this rose for its health, generous fragrant bloom & rapid repeat with just snapping blown blooms at the peduncle deadheading. Some of the blooms were self-cleaning, dropping their spent petals, while others were not on the same bush. May have related to how wet from rain the blooms were when they blew. Buds unfurl slowly & open blooms last a good while on the bush - at least a week - even in temps past 90 - without fading or crisping. Two own root gallons from Chamblee's new at the same time held multiple plants, so were grown on together in larger pots before dividing & repotting. They've also done well. Those 2 gallons yielded 5 plants, so a BD hedge may be in my future, too!

Been eyeing Zaide myself, but not convinced it will do well here under no spray conditions. May try one next year to give it the test run. Kordes only rates it 2 out of 4 on black spot resistance - "Blackspot: higher susceptibility, tonic required." Gives it a higher 3 of 4 for mildew.
    http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.aspx?ref=SERP&br=ro&mkt=en-US&dl=en&lp=DE_EN&a=http%3a%2f%2fwww.kordes-rosen.com%2fgartenrose-zaide

On an older thread, linked below, Marina gave her 3 Zaide high marks, but didn't mention black spot resistance specifically. She reported they set nice hips, a bonus.

Here is a link that might be useful: Marina's report on Zaide

This post was edited by vasue on Sat, Nov 8, 14 at 15:22

• particentral
    9 years ago

I forgot to add I never spray, water or fertilize that hedge. LOL

It gets totally neglected. Everything else is on watering systems, sprayed every two weeks and fertilized to heck and back. This one? Nope. Doesnt need anything but deadheading and pruning once a year.

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Vasue sounds like BD is doing very well for you as well! And particentral glad to hear BD can tolerate a little neglect lol. I am convinced I need this rose and I am very excited to plant it next spring. I will be making a trip to Chamblees in the early spring and will be adding BD to my must have list.

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Vasue sounds like BD is doing very well for you as well! And particentral glad to hear BD can tolerate a little neglect lol. I am convinced I need this rose and I am very excited to plant it next spring. I will be making a trip to Chamblees in the early spring and will be adding BD to my must have list.

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry don't know why I double posted.

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    9 years ago

Looked up Zaide at Newflora this morning as I was also considering this rose. Unfortunately it is not very disease resistant. I don't spray. Newflora gives Information on most of the Kordes roses sold in the US. Balinda's Dream mildewed badly for me. I'm still searching also.

This post was edited by pattyw5 on Thu, Nov 13, 14 at 11:59