Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lucillle

Cuttings in winter

lucillle
11 years ago

I am getting some rooted cuttings in a few days. I think it would be better just to plant them in the ground as there isn't enough bright natural light inside the house for plants since I have shade trees.

It rarely freezes for very long here, (I'm about 45 minutes from Galveston) and when that happens I can always put leaves or a cover over them.

What do y'all think?

Comments (5)

• kathy9norcal
    11 years ago

I live in California and we get some frost in the winter, but almost never does it snow. I do all my rooting in winter. My best luck has been from putting the cuttings in big plastic cups that have drainage holes, about 3-4 cuttings per cup. Then I either put the cup into the ground or into a big flower pot if I am doing several "cups". I surround the cups with potting soil. The benefit of this is you don't need to disturb the roots in spring when you remove the cups and if you have enough roots, you can slip the entire root ball out and into its own pot. Newly rooted cuttings are very fragile if you don't do this, I have found. I have put six large cups of rootings into one flowerpot and had six plants in spring. I don't do it often, as my space is gone, but we have damp, cool winters, just perfect for rooting roses.

• jerijen
    11 years ago

Love them plastic cups.

If you use clear plastic ones, you can see how the roots are developing, without disturbing them.

Jeri

• strawchicago z5
    11 years ago

I second kathy on the info. that own-roots are very fragile. When I transferred them from pots into the ground I often broke half the roots off. Lesson well learned.

• melissa_thefarm
    11 years ago

Don't keep your roses indoors: they hate it there, it's the worst place for them, too warm, dry, and dark. If they're bare root or in pots you can probably pot them or leave them in the pots to grow, keeping the pots on the ground and covering them with a sheet or blanket when you get freezing weather. Or, if they have any root system at all, you can simply plant them right now in well dug holes, and not worry about them. Roses don't mind temperatures in the twenties or even the teens if their roots are protected. I root my cuttings over the winter in open beds, and also keep numerous plants in pots, and they all live through frosts in the upper twenties, and sometimes lower temperatures. Last winter we had three weeks when the daily lows were in the middle-low teens and never rose above freezing, but there was also a foot of snow on the ground, while we insulated the pots with hay and old sheets. We lost plants in the cold greenhouse, but everything that was on or in the ground lived and suffered no damage.
    Melissa

• strawchicago z5
    11 years ago

Thanks, Melissa, I always learn lots of good tips from you - much appreciated. My zone 5a winter dips to -20 degrees F., even lower with wind chill in Chicagoland. The rosarian Karl Bapst, zone 5a, told me to put baby roses to sleep in a DARK, UNHEATED garage and water them occasionally. You are right about not keeping roses indoor: too warm and dry.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville