Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The Rose

Posted by chilliwin EU DK 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 24, 13 at 10:02

This is my second times I post here, I think. Actually I do not grow roses. I grow chilies. I have a couple of rose plants the other two are very small red. They are not in the containers and without any protection they survive the winter snow many years. Since last year I started take care of my roses, such as trim and fertilize :-).

The temperature here is now 1 C to 4 C, all my other plants are dying but this rose is blooming. I am very surprised to see her potential to deal this harsh climate. She has only two flowers.

Rose 24NOV13A photo IMG_3932640x480_zps44ab3709.jpg

Rose 24NOV13B photo IMG_3933640x480_zps922b5485.jpg

It is the same plant. The leaves are a bit yellowish, I do not know the exact problems it may cause by the climate or nutrient deficiency. I have not fertilized about 2 months now. To see these yellowish leaves I am thinking to fertilize the plant. So I am requesting some advice here.

Caelian

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The Rose

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 24, 13 at 11:21

A number of possibilities.

When the soil gets cold some plants can no longer easily absorb the nutrients that are present and plentiful in the soil. When it warms up again, they can.

It could be that the rose is getting ready to drop its foliage for the winter.

The plant could use some fertilizer. If winter is coming on, it's usually not the best time to fertilize.

There could be a soil deficiency or an extreme pH that the plant cannot handle.

If you are in the EU likely it's normal winter response. Wait until spring to do anything.

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 24, 13 at 12:40

I wouldn't fertilize now. Wait until spring. The rose is going dormant now and you don't want to encourage new growth that will not make it through the winter. Otherwise it looks very happy and healthy so I'd just let it go to sleep for the winter.

o

hoovb and seil, thank you for the advice.

Caelian

o

That's a pretty rose. You can get some good compost and put that down in the spring. Some people here like to push straw around the plants after the ground freezes but before the snow piles up around the stems to save more green wood for spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here