Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynn2112

Pure Perfume Vs. Bolero (Meilland )

Hi,

A pair of these roses will flank Souvenir de la Malmaison in a planting bed that is a focal point. I have read so much conflicting information regarding these roses in my quest to independently search for knowledge.
No success:( , but many of you have experience with one or both of these roses, so I am looking where I frequently do; to you.

I get a sense that they both can stand a good level of summer heat, and I am not so concerned about black spot or other fungal diseases. What I cannot seem to determine is the following;

Mature size?
Formal or informal bush ? ( standing at attention or sort of lax)
Color of flowers and leaves? White..white with pink, medium green, dark green, bushy....

Unfortunately there are not a bunch of images of the entire plant. I find that for design purposes, seeing the entire plant to know what to expect is just as important as other factors.

Any information you can provide is greatly appreciated.
Lynn

This post was edited by desertgarden561 on Tue, Nov 12, 13 at 11:59

Comments (13)

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    Original Author
    10 years ago

pat_bamaz7,

Your Bolero is beautiful! Thank you for finding images and posting them along with information.

I do not want to plant anything that will become so tall that it will obstruct the view from the porch. I have read where Bolero becomes 4' tall, and that would be slightly taller than I had hoped for.

Lynn

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

Lynn,
    I think my Bolero is 3 years old now and itâÂÂs still under 4'...I'd say it's about 3' x 3'. I don't foresee it getting much taller, but I guess it could still have a growth spurt in the next couple of years.
    Pat

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

I have grown both. Pure Perfume had terrible vulnerability to Rust, which I don't think is much of a problem for you in LV--not sure about that. I had to get rid of PP because the Rust was awful. The flowers were gorgeous.

Bolero has taken 10 years to reach 4' tall. It would rather bloom than grow. It has excellent resistance to Rust and mildew here.

The big advantages besides the Rust resistance for Bolero is the repeat is much faster and bloom quatity much greater than Pure Perfume ever managed, and Bolero has a much better and stronger fragrance. Pure Perfume, despite the name, never had much fragrance here.

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hoovb,

Thank you for the information. I already have a Pure Perfume that I purchased from J & P. that has yet to bloom, and Boleros on order. It seems as though Bolero would make a better rose for a focal point position due to the remontancy and health. I had feared that it would become too large, but based upon the information, it seems as though it is not a large bush, and could somewhat easily be kept to about 3' in height.

Lynn

• susan4952
    10 years ago

Bolero is a beautiful, fragrant, floppy , short thing in Chicago. Fragrance out of this world. Very healthy and a survivor in my cold. Loved it so much, got the tree form!

• michaelg
    10 years ago

This won't affect Lynn, but in my climate Bolero balls a lot, or at least gets rotten outer petals. But all the good things people have said above are true. It produces lots of big, gorgeous, fragrant flowers on a durable, compact plant. Keeping it under 4' should be no problem, since mine has never made long shoots. I can imagine it building to 4' if you want that.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

I have no room. I have no room in my garden for even one more rose. I want Bolero after seeing these beautiful shots but I really have no room. On the other hand, it IS a small rose. I really need to stay away from the rose forums......

Ingrid

• michaelg
    10 years ago

Ingrid, you could probably keep it to 3'. I'm sure you have 3' somewhere :)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

It grows very slowly Ingrid because it would rather bloom. I'm sure you have room. Sweet citrus perfume...

Are we not bad? ;^)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

Yes, I'm beginning to see my way clear to how this might work. Anyone can find 3 feet somewhere. Earth Song has been a severe disappointment, China Doll has never grown or bloomed in over two years and now has blackspot, there's a tad of room beside Baptiste LaFaye, and of course that rose will never grow larger, and, and.....

Thank you michaelg and hoovb for the attitude adjustment. How faint-hearted I must have sounded. All better now.

Ingrid

• Kippy
    10 years ago

Oh Ingrid! How sad that Earth Song is not happy for you or China Doll. I looked at the wonderful photo Kim posted of Earth Song, bet that photo could sell a lot of plants! what heart break when you see that photo and then look at your plant.

I love my Weeping China Doll Standard. Mine is full of new shiny growth.

Interest note: when we went to the Otto n Sons rose days, the weeks rep was speaking about Bolero when I took a seat. (we had not realized there were speakers) He spoke very highly of Bolero BUT one thing he noted more than once was how superior Bolero was to Iceberg as it did not have any pink shading. A touch of creamy yellow was supposed to be the only not white color.

• jaspermplants
    10 years ago

My weeping china doll tree rose is a prolific bloomer. I love it and would recommend it for my climate. My regular China Doll was a good bloomer but I moved it and it has not done anything since.

Bolero is very tempting and I don't have much room either but I might have to make room for it. Glad to hear about it; I have not paid much attention to the Romanticas (which Bolero is, I believe).