Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ronn_bonites

Glow-in-the-dark Roses

Ronn Bonites
10 years ago

Ok, you probably read the title and thought of how outrageous it sounds but it's possible. There are actually genetically modified tobacco plants out there that glow in the dark because of firefly genes inserted in them.

Roses aren't that far from being next considering how popular they are and that genetically modified "blue" roses exist that borrowed genes from pansies. (They were actually lavender because they failed to stop the rose from producing red pigments)

Now, I've come across a project that plans to make glowing plants as alternatives to street lights. They've been successfully funded in Kickstarter last June and are currently working on their projects and among them is a glowing rose.They haven't decided on what color to choose yet though and probably what type it's gonna be.

What do you guys think? Since this is genetic modification, if the glowing roses aren't sterile there's a chance they might pass on the bioluminescent gene to their offspring. Imagine your favorite rose bush glowing at night! Do you think they'd be welcome additions to gardens or are they just for novelty?

Here is a link that might be useful: Glowing Plants Kickstarter Project

Comments (12)

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

I'll hold out for blue roses first - so far that has failed completely, despite a lot of money spent and insistence that it is possible.

Jackie

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Although I like all kinds of things that light up I'm not sure I want my garden to glow in the dark. Sounds kind of eerie to me, lol.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

I'm kind of wavering between eerie glow and intriguing glow--but if glowing roses increase visits by the deer, count me out. I have enough problems with them already. Diane

• jerijen
    10 years ago

Funny -- I'm a little bothered by glowing roses.

That's probably irrational on my part, because I've recently heard of a glow-in-the dark substance coming on the market for roads.

A gently glowing line along our lane seems like a nice replacement for the ugly streetlight that I loathe. So, why DON'T I want glowing roses????

Jeri

• User
    10 years ago

I am instinctively wary of cross genetic mixing so I suspect I would find a glowing rose to be very much against my acceptance of what consitutes 'beauty' (our aesthetic values are always mediated by social and cultural imperatives).
    I had always considered bio-luminescence a fleeting phenomenon, much tied to environmental conditions......maintaining stability of phyto-luminescence might be a bit more tricky......which removes utility from the equation too so, nope, probably not for me.

• jerijen
    10 years ago

There you are -- THAT's probably why I instinctively shy away from the idea. Thanks Campanula. :-)

Jeri

• Ronn Bonites
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Actually if they could bio-engineer bioluminescence, why not improve disease/pest resistance, cold hardiness, and/or heat tolerance instead?

Also, blue roses may failed but why not try black roses? It should be easier since some roses look dark enough to be black under low lighting. Conceptually, all they have to do is saturate the color of a dark enough rose to make it look black even in bright light, but they'd also probably have to increase its heat tolerance so its petals don't burn in the sun though.

• jerijen
    10 years ago

Improved disease/pest resistance, cold hardiness, and/or heat tolerance would be far more useful, IMHO.

Jeri

• catsrose
    10 years ago

I suspect it will be a long time before we have to worry about glowing roses. I read the Kickstarter project. It is still very experimental. They are starting with Arabidposis and won't guarantee that will even be successful. But it's a great way to fund a research project and educate and involve the community at the same time. I like the idea of sustainable energy, but the idea of modifying genes is spooky. It promises to be another area in man's technology is far ahead of his wisdom to use it. I'm glad Europe is so strict on genetically modified plants. I wish the US were.

• Kippy
    10 years ago

I think I would rather stock up on Solar Lights.

The idea of something I eat having pollen on it from stuff that glows in the dark is not comforting

• User
    10 years ago

I am sure one day,roses would be engineered to bloom 4 seasons, glow in the dark, totally bullet proof and have all the attributes that one' heart desires. But I don't look forward to those roses. I garden because I enjoy being connected with simple, but essential things missing from my work like (sun, rain, dirt, sweat) as well as a bit of history and personalities of our plants. For gardenning, I will stay low tech and, yes, I find glowing roses disturbing.

For those who are M. Atwood fans, didn't she write about roses that glow in the dark in Year of the Flood?

• Ronn Bonites
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I still think mutations like sports are the best form of genetic modification from nature.

Who knows? Maybe one day those failed blue roses will sport and we'll get a true blue one.

Also, bullet-proof roses! lol! That made my day.