Houzz Logo Print
henry_kuska

Re-emergence of Rose Mosaic Disease in Florida Nurseries and Land

henry_kuska
9 years ago

Comments (6)

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Seems the Florida mass rose growers are using infected rootstock rather than buying clean.

• anntn6b
    9 years ago

The cynic in me would ask if somebody, all of a sudden, got paid to look for this.

But the real eye opener was this:
    "peak period for severity this year has been from June-August in North Florida. "

Eye opener because that's the hot time for Florida, yet some of us see more RMV symptoms in spring. Or is this mostly tied to temperature stress of ANY kind? does it matter if it's too hot or too cold?

• henry_kuska
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Not all rose viruses exhibit a temperature dependence.

"The common rose viruses apple mosaic virus (ApMV) (synonym rose mosaic virus [RMV]) and prunus necrotic ringspot virus (PNRSV) usually express symptoms early in the season, and the plants become asymptomatic later, with no possibility to detect these viruses. In contrast, the symptoms caused by RoYMV [19] persists throughout the season, and the virus can be detected. One possible explanation could be the suppression of posttranscriptional gene silencing [37], which is reported to be manifested by the P1 [33, 40] or HC-Pro [4, 30] peptides from members of the family Potyviridae."

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/roses/msg042228274073.html

Here is a link that might be useful: link for above

• anntn6b
    9 years ago

Henry,
    What have you seen in your gardens where it's colder than a lot of places?

• henry_kuska
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Early on (before I knew about the virused rose situation) many of my commercial roses had a life time of about 5 years. Later on, I did not keep roses with virus symptoms. I am a hybridizer and did not want to take the chance of producing a virused offspring and / or infecting my valuable seedlings..

• henry_kuska
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The latest tool for virus identification seems to next generation sequencing.

The research paper below reports finding PNRSV in wild multiflora by what they call "deep sequencing"..

"A bizarre virus-like symptom of a leaf rosette formed by dense small leaves on branches of wild roses (Rosa multifloraâÂÂThunb.), designated as âÂÂwild rose leaf rosette diseaseâ (WRLRD), was observed in China."

"The assembly of siRNAs led to the reconstruction of the complete genomes of three known viruses, namely Apple stem grooving virus (ASGV), Blackberry chlorotic ringspot virus (BCRV) and Prunus necrotic ringspot virus (PNRSV), and of a novel virus provisionally named âÂÂrose leaf rosette-associated virusâ (RLRaV)."

H. Kuska comment: Although they call their procedure "Deep sequencing" it appears to be similar to "next generation sequencing" see below.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

In the U.S. Professor Tzanetakis (whose research group was the first to identify Rose Rosette Virus) has recently published a paper on next generation sequencing.

Title: "Development of a virus detection and discovery pipeline using next generation sequencing."

Authors : Thien Ho , Ioannis E. Tzanetakis

"The pipeline was used to process more than 30 samples resulting in the detection of all viruses known to infect the processed samples, the extension of the genomic sequences of others, and the discovery of several novel viruses. VirFind was tested by four external users with datasets from plants or insects, demonstrating its potential as a universal virus detection and discovery tool."

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0042682214004437

Here is a link that might be useful: link to Chinese paper and PNRSV