Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bengal Tiger rose

Posted by adriannecl 7b (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 9, 13 at 11:18

Im in southeast. I am planting Bengal Tiger rose in lieu of Knockouts, for landscaping. The area has good light, soil etc.

Anyone have any experience with this bush?
Wondering about mature size, bloom period, and whether it will need spraying, etc.
tags says it grows 3-4 ' tall and wide, but wasn't sure if that was the case in the south.

Thanks
Adrianne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bengal Tiger rose

I don't know anything about this rose, but helpmefind.com is a wonderful resource for obtaining more info. about a rose (see link below). Note also the tabs at the top for "photos" and "Member comments."

Good luck.

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Bengal Tiger at HMF

o

I'm trying to grow it. It isn't in very good soil--too much clay--so it struggles some. But it seems to get stronger as it gets older. It does get blackspot.

o

With that pedigree, I'd be surprised if it didn't blackspot!

I had to go take a look -- somehow, I expected a rose named 'Bengal Tiger' to be striped. Or, to have been bred from a China. Hmmmmm . . .

Jeri

o

Thanks for the input!
It was a bit of an impulse buy. I was looking for Carefree Celebration (which I love for landscaping) and happened upon it.
After Kate's comment, I looked looked, and did see it was bred with Fragrant Cloud. I have several of those, and have to spray them biweekly for BS. Don't know anything about playboy.
Oh well...
Thanks again! A

o

I have had an own-root Bengal Tiger for about 4-5 years, and like Kate mine has struggled. It could be that it doesn't do as well on own roots, but mine hasn't cleared 3 feet ever and is a generally wimpy plant. The blooms are a glorious color when you get them though. Perhaps what you could do with it is put your larger landscaping bushes behind it and use the Bengal Tiger for occasional accent color in front of it. In my yard, it's sort of the height and spread of annual salvia that I use for that kind of accent in front of other roses.

I'm a lazy no-spray gardener (not even Liquid Fence for several years), and some of its lack of vigor could be a response to fighting off the disease. I have plenty of roses that blackspot and come back roaring, though, so it seems to be a characteristic of this rose. It overwinters OK with a little protection, but it doesn't recover quickly or grow robustly like other root-hardy roses will do.

Overall, it has been more of a "Bengal Kitten" than a tiger for me, but the color makes it worth the small amount of garden space it takes up.

Cynthia

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here