Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bellarosa009

Jasmina

bellarosa
9 years ago

Hi,
I ordered "Jasmina" for delivery next Spring. I was wondering if anyone in Zone 5 can provide their feedback on this climber. Is it a repeat bloomer? What did you like or not like about her? Just wondering. Thanks.

Comments (9)

• jacqueline9CA
    9 years ago

What a gorgeous rose! I think it is great that roses exist which can be grown as climbers in zone 5. Please post pics of it when it is growing, and let us know how it survives the winter.

Jackie

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    9 years ago

Bellarosa, mine was planted in spring of 2013. With last winter's heavy snows, she was pretty much covered all winter and had little damage - of course she was only 2 foot tall! Still not much taller than that this year - maybe some 3 foot canes - but lots of them. She is quite bushy. Absolutely disease free, even planted alongside some older varieties that get a touch of blackspot. Rebloom was pretty good, but I'm disappointed that the flowers are smaller than I expected and they hang on a long time so deadheading is a must if you want her to look tidy. That's not hard while she is small, but as full grown climber? Hmmm. We shall see. Next year I expect her to leap. I'll keep you posted.
    Anne

• bellarosa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Anne, thank you so much for this information! I've heard mixed reviews on this rose. I would like to plant a pink hardy climbing rose next to my red climber, Amadeus, but was concerned that maybe Jasmina wouldn't rebloom. This information is very helpful. Just curious, do you have any recommendations for a hardy, pink climber? I already have John Davis, which I love, but I wanted to try something different. New Dawn is too big and thorny, so that's out. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    9 years ago

I'd expect Palatine to only grow climbers that are hardy enough for them. However, they happen to be a fairly warm 6b because of all the water surrounding them.

• Marlorena
    9 years ago

I had Jasmina for 2 or 3 seasons and got rid of it. Thorny and coarse with not too many flowers and the bunches hang on the ends of the stems drooping. I thought I would like this one, but not for me. Sorry for the negatives. Very hardy as I could tell here, we had some bad winters at the time. Hope you like it a lot more.. I perhaps should have grown it through a small tree or large shrub, or somesuch... instead I had it on a fence...not the best place in my view...

• kittymoonbeam
    9 years ago

I'm in So CA by Disneyland so I can't comment on cold but I like my Jasmina very much. She grows in a Crepe Myrtle tree and the flowers hang down like lovely wisteria blooms. The little stems are thin at first but in a few years will get thicker. I just kept braiding them together until the shoots were thick enough to go straight up without flopping. She still wants to grow sideways sometimes. She has super catchy little hooks so wear old clothes gloves and goggles. I don't get any rebloom but maybe because I cant get up there to cut off the old flowers. This is probably most spectacular on a low fence where she can spread wide and you can remove the old blooms. I have her growing high because the flower clusters hang down and I like looking up into them.

In bloom this is one beautiful shrub/climber

• jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)
    8 years ago

I saw this rose the first time at a local nursery. I've been wanting this rose but now that I see the flowers in person, I have to say I am a bit disappointed. Then again, the blooms were old and fading soon so it is not a new open blooms. Can anyone who grow this rose share what they think of this rose now.

• HU-348248527
    2 years ago

My Jasmina bloomed well this year and covered most of the plant. Smells nice. but the flowers are not like the photo. it looks flatter in real life and a bit untidy. I'm not sure if it's the rain but because the bloom clusters are so tight, the old bloom tends to stick around and turn brown in the cluster-so I had to deadhead every day to keep it looking nice. I found that some of the smaller buds would blast once most of the clusters are in full bloom-maybe because they are crowded in by the other flowers. My husband already voiced out that he doesn't like it, but I'm giving it another year to see if I can re-arrange the canes in a more pleasing way.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm