Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jasminerose4u

Do you like Green Roses and Ham?

Actually, the photo is of China Green roses and a very hard to find miniature, Marriotta rose. A kind rosarian gave me a bouquet of some of the leftover flowers from a rose show last weekend. I'm trying to propagate the stems. Not wanting to waste the blooms, I put them in a bowl. Because the Green Rose bloom consists of blue-green sepals, they look like interesting foliage and can bring out the beauty of other roses in a bouquet. I saw them nicely paired with a bouquet of Butter Cream mini flora blooms. They have a mild spicy scent. Judging by the ratings on HMF, not a lot of people like this rose. But many photographs are posted, showing that many grow this rose. So what do you think?

Comments (11)

• Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another photo with my cat.

• bethnorcal9
    10 years ago

I think it's rather interesting. I probably should add it to my collection of "oddball" roses, but I just never have gotten around to ordering it. I do like the unusual. And I have a couple of florist roses in the green vein. Unfortunately they don't really bloom as green as you see in the florist's.

Love your kitty!

• jerijen
    10 years ago

I've always liked 'Green Rose,' and Sequoia had a great clone of it. They also had a Green Rose Reversion to 'Old Blush.' Burlington (Burling Leong) may have those.

In my cooler climate, it didn't pump up the chlorphyll, so while it grew really well, and bloomed heavily, I got a lot more bronze in the blooms than I cared for. But, grown where it gets a bit more summer heat, it's really neat.

Arrangers like it a lot, and I can understand why they would.

Jeri

Original Author
    10 years ago

Can you imagine how surprised the grower of Old Blush must have been to see this sport grow? Roses Unlimited has the Green Rose on their list if Burlington doesn't. If I grow this rose, I think it will be the ugliest in the garden, but lovely in a bouquet :)

• jerijen
    10 years ago

Well, I thought it was a very pretty plant, really. If OB grows well for you, this should, as well. You just have to think of it as a green plant in the garden, you know?

Jeri

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    10 years ago

Hmm, "I do not like them, Jasmine-I-am. I do not like Green Roses, just ham". (apologies to Dr. Seuss).

Nope, I love oddball roses as Beth does but this is too far from what looks like a flower for my particular tastes. I think if I wanted to arrange with something green and spiky, I'd use a globe thistle or some other perennial. In my yard, many of my roses are already green much more often than they're colorful, and I want as much outrageous color as I can get. I suppose if I had unlimited room I might go for the novelty and shocked looks of visitors "you mean THAT'S a rose??" Sadly, I'm starting to foresee the point where I'll run out of room and there are more exciting rose blooms that I still want.

Incidentally, what is the "ham" in your rose photo? That one I like...

Cynthia

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

The "ham" is Marriotta and while I appreciate the Green Rose's individuality I'd prefer to have Marriotta, myself. I've been trying to find one for years! It seems to always be sold out anywhere that has it. Any chance of getting some cuttings?

My understanding is that the Green Rose doesn't really have any petals at all. Those are all sepals!

Original Author
    10 years ago

The Marriotta is unusual and beautiful, but unfortunately I don't have that rose...at least not yet. I'm trying to propagate it from one small stem given to me at a rose show. Hopefully I'll have beginners luck, but I don't know. I'm told several of the Santa Clarita, CA Rose society members grow Marriotta and it is usually available at their auction in April. If my propagation isn't successful, I'll see what I can do to get it then.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Thanks, Jasmine!

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Viridiflora makes a splendid arrangement "filler" and actually adds a bit of a peppery scent to the vase. I grow it, and the Reversion, though the Reversion isn't as vigorous as the sport. Kim

• catsrose
    10 years ago

I like the Green Rose and it does very well for me. I wish I had put it in a spot that shows it off more, altho one has to point it out to people, anyway, as they just assume it is out of bloom. I think of it as a bit backward, shy, humble, and feel rather protective of its self-esteem.