Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
potted roses in winter

Posted by burz 5a (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 4, 11 at 11:59

What is the best way to store potted roses during winter? I put them in the garage last year but I think it may have been a little too warm. I saw some very fleshy light green growth towards the middle/end of march. They seemed to do fine when brought back outside put this seems unhealthy to me. I also thought about putting them back outside when/if this happens again, but it seems to me that this would be to early.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: potted roses in winter

• Posted by TNY78 6b-E TN (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 4, 11 at 14:20

I had asked a similar question a few weeks ago :) Here is the link to that post. It doesn't cover the new growth coming in too early in the season, but it may help....

~Tammy

Here is a link that might be useful: Where to Over-Winter

o

• Posted by seil z6 MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 4, 11 at 22:39

The garage is fine. That pale growth is due to lack of sunlight. I get it on my pots buried in leaves too. It's less of a problem than taking them out too soon and having them freeze. Sometimes it will green up once out in the light and sometimes it just drops off when new growth starts. I don't take my pots out until night time temps are steadily remaining above freezing. Usually that's the beginning of April for me. The hardest thing on the roses is that yo-yoing freeze/thaw. They only have so much energy stored in the roots and canes. If they start to grow and then all that new growth is frozen off and they have to grow again they can only do that a couple of times before the stores are used up and they die. Unless you want to take them out during the day and then put them back in every night leave them in the garage until the nights are above freezing and don't worry about that pale growth.

o

Thank you both for replies!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here