Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bellarosa009

Climbing Cecile Brunner

bellarosa
9 years ago

Is there anyone in Zone 5 growing the climbing rose, Cecile Brunner. I'm very interested in growing this rose near my white arbor. Any feedback is helpful. Thanks!

Comments (3)

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

Although frequent here it can die back during winter in my part of USDA 8. I just got one going over an arbor on Camano Island and then it went down, for some reason has not really come back at all - probably the same winter 13F was noticed on the covered deck nearby. Many climbing roses with musk (Synstylae) blood appear to have a hardiness cutoff in the teens F. During the 1990 winter, when single digits were common everywhere here not right at the beach quite a few long-established roses of this type lost most of their tops, were at first quite feeble about replacing them. At the Seattle arboretum pretty large musk rose species (and garden forms) became piles of dead brush with a few little replacement shoots peeping out for at least a few years afterward.

So I can't see 'Climbing Cecile Brunner' being at all feasible there unless you want to lay it down in a trench each winter, prune so that it remains juvenile (and therefore flexible) enough for this to possible.

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    9 years ago

In my zone 5, Cecile Brunner can grow reasonably well, but it depends on which version of Cecile Brunner, cl. you are talking about. There are several bush forms that pop up on the sales lists, and at least two climbing forms that I have. Cecile Brunner cl. that's the Hosp polyantha climber is pretty reliable at surviving most winters for me, though it bit the dust in the polar vortex and was replaced last year. It doesn't bloom as often as I would wish, but it's a healthy and hardy rose. Cecile Brunner Everblooming cl., the Siskiyou climber I got from Heirloom, is new this spring and I think I planted and lost it several years ago. This one seems to be a little less hardy for me, but I didn't have it in a particularly protected area, as it's next to the rest of my hybrid musks.

In response to bboy's comments, I think hybrid musks are much more hardy than they are typically rated. Most of them are rated zone 6, but I have around 10 of them happily on their 4th or 5th year in a relatively exposed area of my yard. A few seems to live down to their z6 rating - Moonlight and Renae come to mind for me - but most of them are bullet proof and generally tip hardy for me.

The bottom line is that both Cecile Brunner cl. are rated to z5, but you won't know if it likes your conditions until you try it. If your zone is indeed stretching into z4, that can make a big difference for many climbers, so it might be safer to try it in a protected spot. A way that I create a "protected spot" where there isn't one already is to stand leaf bags around the wimpy rose once the temperatures are around a high of 20's. I've already done that for my teas this year, and they're going on 5 or 6 years in my yard and none of them are rated any lower than zone 7. They've been pretty happy, even tip hardy under these circumstances, and are among my more reliable bloomers in heat.

Cynthia

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

Depending on how cold it got during this time, 4 or 5 years isn't a very long trial. Hardiness zones are frequently misapplied, somebody could easily list a rose as Zone 6 because it freezes at 0F or Zone 7 because it freezes at 10F. And I have found that when I do a literature review of a particular rose there can be a multiple zone variation in hardiness assignments. So apparently hardiness ratings are given rather often that are just plain wrong. I have noticed for years roses I am interested in and have personal exposure to being given highly optimistic zone designations. Statements in commercial literature in particular should always be considered subject to verification.