Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andreark

The outcome of my crown gall problem

andreark
10 years ago

After doing a copious amount of reading, it turns out that ALL OF YOUR ASWERS WERE CORRECT!

There are basically 3 types of gall that affect roses. Unfortunately, my Francis Meilland had the bad guy.

We removed the rose, and as much of the soil as we dared. Now, today, I am going to do a 10% bleach solution for a drench of the area.

Regan's gave me a new Francis Meilland that is very healthy. And of course, if I make a 140 mile round trip to Fremont, I couldn't help but look at a few more roses. I
found a Lady Emma Hamilton which I purchased due to the high praise that some of you have had for this rose. It had 2 very tight buds but no mature blossoms, so I'll have to wait to see her. Next, I came across one of the most beautiful, in color and form, roses I've seen, Falstaff.

I couldn't remember any comments about blooming but I didn't care. This rose is drop dead gorgeous.

Today, I am going to transplant the large FM into a 15 gallon plastic pot and just sit it in the hole that we made from removing the infected plant. It's at the rear of my raised rose garden and I think that the black pot won't be visible. Next spring, I will bleach the hole again and after a few days, I will fill it with good rose soil and plant the new
FM into the ground.

Thanks for all of your previous answers,

andrea

Comments (2)