Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andreark

importing pictures to windows 8.1

andreark
10 years ago

I upgraded(?) to windows 8.1 last week. I am now trying to import the photos I just took this morning of my YL.

My PC no longer automatically imports from my camera.
I went online looking for an answer, but they were fuzzy at best.

DO ANY OF MY FELLOW ROSE LOVERS KNOW HOW TO UPLOAD PHOTOS TO 8.1????

andrea

Comments (20)

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    10 years ago

Not sure how you connect to your computer whether via a card reading slot or cable. Either way you should be able to click on 'My Computer' and find the appropriate disk. Then copy and paste to a directory on your PC.....BUT I have very limited experience with winblows LOL!!

Hope that helps if not someone can chime in as I absolutely have no idea regarding import software.

SCG

10 years ago

Dble post

This post was edited by SouthCountryGuy on Wed, Nov 13, 13 at 16:33

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for trying SCG, but Windows 8 and 8.1 are really very different (and horrible) animals. It's like using an entirely different and unrelated operating system.

Thanks again,

andrea

• jerijen
    10 years ago

I have heard nothing good about Win 8 or 8.1.

Jeri

10 years ago

Andrea,

On a web search I see 8.1 still has 'My Computer' from there go to 'devices and drives' anything whether a SD card inserted in a slot or a camera connected via USB or similar _should_ show up. Double click on that and from there you can open directories within to find your pictures of which you can then copy and paste to where you would like.

It is a method I prefer to use to import pictures regardless of what OS I am on. Primarily because it allows me to catalogue 'My' way but also the risk of losing pictures in a software crash is less likely.

Good luck.

SCG

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks again SCG, but the problem is, that the program won't import at all. So there is nothing on my computer to to double click on. Just not there.

Thanks anyway,

andrea

10 years ago

I guess I should have asked before. How are you connecting to your PC?

The reason I suggest the above method was because no software is required. It is strictly manually importing from one hard device to another.

Now, if your computer isn't recognizing your camera you might have to update your drivers for that particular camera.

Hope it helps

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jeri,

YOU HEARD RIGHT!!!!

SCG,

I am using the same camera and cable that I have used for over a year now.

andrea

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was just on the phone with Microsoft for ONE HOUR!!

Windows 8.1 has a problem with my sony digital. They are expecting a 'fix' within 10 days.

I will post photos of YL leaves as soon as the fix arrives.

Thanks,

andrea

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    10 years ago

Good grief you have a lot of troubles going on...

10 years ago

Bad luck!

If your camera isn't showing up in your device manager and you are using a SD card (most do) you can pick up a USB card reader for a couple bucks at most big box stores. They are quite handy.

Also check the Sony site often they might have driver/updates faster.

You can also roll back to windows 8 till the bugs are fixed in 8.1

Have fun!!

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

SCG,

I don't use a card. It's not the Sony driver that needs an update. It's Windows 8.1 that has the problem.

If I have to change operating systems again, I WILL SCREAM. If MS can fix their problem, I will be able to live with it , , , , for a while.

Thanks all,

andrea

10 years ago

Hehe, Andrea.

Is you camera shown in device manager when plugged in? Is it a cybershot camera?

Driver update

While it says that it is for charging problems other folks with the same problem have found this to work.

From what I can see from the photography forums this is a problem but not a wide spread one with Sony cameras. I would be inclined to watch the sony website as well as contact sony support. Probably get better and faster help.

Good luck

SCG

Here is a link that might be useful: Sony Esupport page

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

SCG,

My camera is not shown in device manager (tried this first) because Windows 8.1 doesn't recognize some of the Sony products. As I said, it isn't a driver problem. I could have updated a new driver myself if that's all it was.

This is a Microsoft 8.1 problem And they are the ones that will have to fix it.

Thanks anyway,

andrea

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    10 years ago

I go into "Desktop" mode on my Windows 8 machine so that it looks like the "old" way.

Does your computer have a slot for the SD card? If it does, you can remove the card from the camera, and plug it directly into the computer. The computer should then be able to read from the SD card.

This post was edited by diane_nj on Thu, Nov 14, 13 at 15:32

10 years ago

Andrea said,

My camera is not shown in device manager (tried this first) because Windows 8.1 doesn't recognize some of the Sony products. As I said, it isn't a driver problem. I could have updated a new driver myself if that's all it was.

So you have tried the driver update that MANY people found works?

Often there are driver problems when OS are updated and while MS may come out with a driver fix it is usually fixed faster and better by the third party hardware company. If you don't want to try what I found for you that is fine. I am done wasting my time.

SCG

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Diane,

Great idea, but my camera is older than my computer and the card will not work with it. But that was a GREAT idea. I couldn't wait to get home to try it, but no go. I will just have to wait for MS to recognize my camera.

SCG.

I have said this before, and will repeat it. As MS has said, the problem is with 8.1 recognizing my product. I has NOTHING to do with the drivers. I can't get this version to even recognizing my camera. IF IT DID, THEN I COULD TRY FOR A DRIVER UPDATE. IT DOES NOT.

I am sorry that you don't believe MS or me, but you are wrong.

andrea

10 years ago

Andrea,

After speaking with Sony support this afternoon, my dad had a cyber shot and Viao computer (I now have but don't use), they suggested the links I provided to you. At a minimum it should allow access through device manager.

As I suggested above you can get a USB card reader, sorry I didn't clarify for
    older cards as well.

I appreciate the way you treat folks that try and help you. It is no wonder others now refuse to help you.

I may be wrong but since you won't try what is suggested, as usual, we will never know.

Good luck with your computer and roses. Goodbye

• Camyz
    9 years ago

Hi I also had difficulty importing from sd card with windows 8.1 ... I found a solution and whilst looking for answer I googled for info and spotted your post... I had to join this group just to answer 'hehehee' .... I downloaded Picasa 3 and that will give option to click on and import pics straight away from sd card to computer ... I hope that info helps you :)

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Without using any specific software, can you connect the camera, by cord, to the computer?

If you CAN, and you turn the camera ON, the computer should just see the camera as an external drive, under My Computer.

If it does that, you can just mark all of the images, and copy them to where ever you need them to go.