Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meolongxu87

Best rose for hot weather

meolongxu87
14 years ago

I'd like some suggestion on a rose that would do well in hot Texas summer (preferably climber) that has good fragrant and bloom profusely, and most importantly, a rose that don't mind 100s heat of summer Texas. I had a vigorous Black Magic rose that did so well with flowers that last and last, but not much fragrant there. And I also have a wonderful Mr. Lincoln that last for 1 day in the sun but smell wonderful. I'd like some where in between, especially flower that doesn't ball or dry up in the Texas sun. Any suggestions are welcomed!

Comments (49)

• margaretk
    14 years ago

Has to be Sombreuil (Colonial White?) in our climate. Awesome rose, fragrant, vigorous, and scoffs at the heat. I just tried to post a picture, but apparently I've forgotten how!

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    14 years ago

I do not have the hot summers of margaretk, but Sombreuil has been a very good rose here. Make sure you have plenty of room, though, as it can get very large.

It's quite thorny as well, so gloves and goggles are a good idea when working with it. Here is mine after a hard pruning.

{{gwi:262896}}

{{gwi:339775}}

{{gwi:339776}}

Also have a look at chamblee's roses and antique rose emporium -- they are both in Texas and so have a good idea of your climate and what would work well.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    14 years ago

I am in east Texas, we had a month of 100+ degrees this summer. Crepuscule, a noisette, never missed a beat. Both mine are still covered in blooms. No thorns to speak of, one of my very favorites. I also love Clair Matin, Don Juan. Flutterbye, Dortmund, Sally Holmes, Candyland. I am trying several new ones this fall - Jacob's Robe, Crimson Glory, Prairie Princess, Westerland, 4th of July. I have found most do well if you plant in good soil, fertilize, mulch, water and perhaps spray.
    Judith

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    14 years ago

Gail, your photos of Sombreuil are wonderful. This has to be one of the most beautiful roses ever.It's good to know that it does well in the heat.

• meolongxu87
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It's surprising to see a lot of options for fragrant and heat tolerance rose out there. Especially that beautiful white Sombreuil. Who would think that a white flower would last in hot sun? Don Juan sounds like a good one. I love the sight of red rose arch in my front yard...Tell me do they bloom often or just one season/year, what has a scent that waft through the entire garden? I'm excited about all the options I have!

• growing2010
    14 years ago

Loving this thread! I think I am going to try Sombreuil and Crepuscule next. I have had great luck with Angel Face (lavender), Honor (white), and two others that might be Miss All American Beauty (or not, dark pink, very floriferous) and First Prize (pink blend large flowers), but of course none of these are climbers.
    Does anyone know how Dainty Bess would do? I hadn't even considered it until I saw Sally Holmes mentioned, and I think that is a single also.

• rayrose
    14 years ago

Although they aren't climbers, you won't find any better hot weather roses than St. Patrick and Midas Touch.

• Jeannie Cochell
    14 years ago

Sombreuil does well here, as does Don Juan, and several others... provided you're not expecting exhibition-quality blooms during periods of extended heat. Mauves, lavenders and whites suffer the worst, IMO.

Several local rosarians swear by Veteran's Honor but I think Ingrid Bergman and Black Magic are much more attractive. In my garden, top award goes to my beloved Souvenir de la Malmaison. This gal slows production during the summer and might lose half her leaves but she bounces back with awesome blooms throughout the year. A close second is the floribunda, Fabulous, a white that thrips don't seem to bother.

• growing2010
    14 years ago

Just wanted to make a correction... I incorrectly identified a rose in my previous post as Miss All American Beauty, I remember now it is Fame! and it is amazing. Also, Iceberg is always mentioned as shade tolerant, but here in full sun in the hot summer it does just fine as well.

• User
    14 years ago

Wow, that Sombreuil is spectacular! I just planted one in the front yard, to have it grow up a Hong Kong orchid tree- its blooms have the prettiest form of any rose in my garden. Don Juan does well for me here in the heat, as does Gemini and John Paul II.

Question for Moroseaz: Is your SDLM on Fortuniana?

thanks,
    Avalon

14 years ago

If we're talking about a non-climber, the best rose hands-down in my hot, dry garden has been Le Vesuve, of which I have three with another on order. It's not fragrant but I don't care because it has so many other good qualities. It never seems to stop blooming, doesn't mind the heat, has very nice leaves and will grow up to be a big shrub covered with flowers. I love the rose pink color with deeper pink shadings on the backs of the petals and its somewhat muddled shape. I'd never be without it again.

Ingrid

• jont1
    14 years ago

For HT's in hot weather, give St. Patrick and it's progeny Marilyn Monroe a try. Temps in excess of 100 don't seem to affect the bloom size, quantity, and repeat at all. My Pope John Paul II seems to do well also. "Malibu" is a very pretty cinnamon-orange colored HT that needs dry heat to fully open for most folks.

• Jeannie Cochell
    14 years ago

Avalon2007, no my Souvenir de la Malmaison is not on Fortuniana. Isn't grafted at all. It's been in the ground about 8 years and I inherited it from somebody else who had it for 3-4 years but couldn't give it enough sun.

This bush was adopted by my dog and he didn't like it pruned so it went unpruned for the first 3 years I had it. After the dog died, I pruned it a little but in respect to his wishes, only lightly once a year. It needed some kind of support, so I had a friend weld a 30 inch square rebar cage so the longer canes could rest the heavy blooms above the dirt. This bush has won me two Dowager Queens and a best OGR Fragrant trophy in the three rose shows I've entered it into.

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    14 years ago

I have Veteran's Honor and have noticed in the heat of summer the stems can have weak necks. Maybe I need to water more during this period, but typically don't have this problem with other roses. By the way, I do like Veteran's Honor and love the long vaselife!

• frank_l
    14 years ago

Chrysler Imperial and Touch of Class are my best performers in sustained 100+ weather - constant multiple blooms and good growth. Garden Party and Honor are two whites which do well in hot conditions.

• sherryocala
    14 years ago

I can vouch for LeVesuve in humid Florida heat. It's my best rose, but I only have three of them. I wish I had room for a fourth, Ingrid!
    {{gwi:339777}}
    {{gwi:339779}}
    {{gwi:339781}}
    {{gwi:339783}}
    {{gwi:339785}}
    And no blackspot.
    Sherry

14 years ago

Beautiful pictures, Sherry! Interestingly, mine are a much deeper lilac pink, especially the backs of the petals. I wonder if humidity, or the lack of thereof, plays some part in that. Light or dark, it's always beautiful

Ingrid

• sabalmatt_tejas
    14 years ago

I highly recommend Reve d'Or. It is on the Earthkind list for TX and is tough as nails, fragrant and reblooms often.

• austennut
    14 years ago

I have no particular suggestions for flowers in 100+ degree weather, but I just had to say that the pictures of Sombreuil and Le Vesuve are AMAZING.

• meolongxu87
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'd definitely buy St Patrick. The other roses are not available around here... However I do see Fragrant Cloud and it seems like an attractive option for a hybrid tea...Any idea?
    I also saw the following climbers sold often in Spring and I'd appreciate any input on these varieties: Iceberg (Cl), America, New Dawn.
    Is Don Juan a vigorous climber? I'd like to plant a Clematis along with the rose and I want a climber that can be as vigorous as the clematis (jackmanii)... hmmmm I feel like I'm very needy.. ^_^

• chuck_billie
    14 years ago

If you're in East Texas the choice is clear.
    Drive into Tyler and do some shopping at Chamblee's.
    They have a great selection and you can see them in bloom.
    Then go to the Rose Gardens and make a day of it.

• amberroses
    14 years ago

Belinda's Dream is a good one for me in Florida.

• saldut
    14 years ago

Yes, Belinda's Dream, for sure - developed for Epcot and Disney... Don Juan, just keeps blooming on and on.... Double Delight... and for a short sweetie, China Doll... also Summer Snow, Sweet Surrender, Tiffany... and St Patrick, a tall boy..... all great here in hot humid St Pete...... sally

• Carrie_AZ
    14 years ago

Living in the hot desert of Arizona I have had luck with the following climbers
    Stairway to Heaven - Red
    Miss All-American Beauty - Deep Pink
    Cécile Brunner, Cl - Light Pink
    Joseph's Coat - Multi-Colored Yellow/Orange
    HYBIRD TEA'S
    French Perfume - Multi-Colored, This rose does really well in my 120+ heat with light afternoon shade.
    St.Patrick - yellow/with a tinge of Green
    Voodoo - Orange, Does fairly well and is worth a mention
    First Prize - Pink
    No rose in my heat is going to look it's best but, these are the ones I was still able to get good looking flowers off of for summer bouquet's
    Good Luck,
    Carrie

• teka2rjleffel
    14 years ago

Sherry,
    Is LeVesuve on fort?
    Lovely,
    Nancy

• meolongxu87
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok, I made up my mind....tell me what you think about this combo: cl America (or Iceberg) rose and cl Don Juan rose on each side of the arbor with Eltoile Violette growing along side....on the other side of the wall, Double Delight, Mr Lincoln, Memorial Day, and possibly one more fragrant hybrid tea, maybe Neptune or Fragrant Cloud....I just love the fragrant and the swirling form of hybrid tea, sorry antique fan ^_^!.... what do you guys think?

• york_rose
    14 years ago

meolongxu87, maybe I shouldn't be, but I'm surprised there haven't been more specific recommendations of "antique" roses in this thread. Sombreuil, Crepuscle, & Climbing Cecil Brunner are famous ones, but there are plenty of others. Antique Rose Emporium in particular is famous as a nursery that grows & sells these sorts of roses.

In the South, before there were hybrid teas, there were tea roses (& bourbon, china, and noisette roses). They are all garden worthy to varying degrees. Not everyone likes the way they look, but one of the benefits of growing these roses is that their genetic heritage draws heavily from the wild roses of semi-tropical southern Asia, and consequently when you grow them in hot summer-cool winter climates they grow well. (I live in the Boston area and many of these roses are a waste of time for me because my cool summer/cold winter climate means they'll struggle or die instead of prosper. These are roses that can be grown in India!)

You want climbers that are fragrant, rebloom very well, & will handle your heat? Check out the Climbing Tea roses!

Now, one feature of many of the tea roses that is sometimes regarded as a fault is that the flowers of many of the teas have "weak necks", and so they nod down when they open if the flowers are doubles (because the flower stems aren't strong enough to hold the flowers upright), and that feature was selected against during the breeding of hybrid teas, but in a climbing rose I think having flowers that nod down at you as you look up into them is a wonderful thing!

:)

For further info. and more informed recommendations about climbing teas, ask this question of yours over on the Antique Rose Forum.

Oh yes - one other thing. Many of these roses have French names, but that's because many of them were bred in the 19th Century, and at that time the French were probably the most prominent hybridizers of roses for outdoor gardens. (The English were breeding roses back then as well, but they focused more of their efforts on roses to be grown in the greenhouses of the upper class, and those roses haven't remained in commerce at anything like the rate at which the French roses of the 19th Century have.)

• york_rose
    14 years ago

By the way, that beautiful swirling, spiral opening of the rose blossom that you love so? That comes from the tea roses. They do it, too!

:)

• meolongxu87
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Woa...I just look at some of the pictures of the tea, they do have the spiraling form... I'm thinking maybe I would give the rose a try. thanks for explaining it to me and saying just all that I need. I'll have a lot of options!! What about Austin rose, do they act like tea roses as well?

• meolongxu87
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hm...I'm thinking Sombreuil on one side and Buff Beauty (or Reve d'Or or Crepuscule) on the other for pastel color and a purple clematis for contrast... will it be too much? Which one should I pick to go with Sombreuil (will Buff Beauty be too short for Sombreuil and the Clematis?)

• york_rose
    14 years ago

IIRC Buff Beauty is a hybrid musk and they tend to be more bushy, but some of them can be trained as climbers in some circumstances.

I haven't ever gardened in your climate so if I answer your very legitimate questions I'll only be giving (educated) guesses based upon hunches. You have good questions. I recommend you take your questions and post them on the Antique Rose Forum so you can get an informed answer from the rosarians there who have experience growing hybrid musks and climbing teas in Texas.

I'm glad I've broadened you horizons! ;)

(Oh, as to Austin's roses. I haven't closely examined all that many of them. Having said that, my impression is that they are less likely to have blossoms that spiral open and more likely to have modern colors, but blossoms that open more in the manner of the old hardy roses of Europe, where the buds tend to explode open in a burst of fragrant petals.

However, as I said, I haven't closely examined all that many of his roses.)

• meolongxu87
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Great I'm posting this question on the Antique rose forum. The reason that I asked about the Austin rose is that I've heard about their fragrant so form doesn't really matter much. Thank you so much, I'll let everyone know about the actual experiences with the rose.

• Carrie_AZ
    14 years ago

You know after I posted my roses above that grow in our heat, I did forget to mention the English rose's I grew before I moved into my new home. At my other place (before I moved here) I grew a lot of English roses they do very well in the heat. The ones I grew were: Heritage-pink,Graham Thomas-golden yellow, Frau Karl Drushaki-white, Abraham Darby apricot yellow, Charlotte-yellow, Tamora-apricot, Teasing Georgia-yellow, Winchester Cathedral-white and the best out of the group that performed really well in the heat is Glamis Castle-white with a tinted buff color. The english roses do so well in the hot, hot heat. All the above grew just fine when in July & August the temps could reach up to 123+
    And to reply to your idea, I think the Cl. white Iceberg would look lovely with the red Cl.Don Jaun, I have reservations about the Cl. America and Cl Don Jaun those two colors together IMO would not look right. I just love red and white roses together. Also I wanted to ask how hot does it get where you are in July & August????? The rest sounds great, it is your canvas, paint it as you wish.
    Good Luck,

Carrie

• meolongxu87
    Original Author
    14 years ago

lol, it only gets up to about 110 ish but it is harsh on some plants even with adequate water. The humidity at that time is around 20-30ish so very low.

• kinglemuelswife
    14 years ago

I grow mostly Austins and was surprised to see that Graham Thomas does well in Arizona. Here in Southern Canada, where heat waves are in the high 80's in a scorching summer, my Graham Thomas enjoyed the morning sun, sulked and wilted every afternoon, and then bounced back in the evening cool. I've moved him to a more protected location where he is blooming less, but looking good throughout the day.

On a more positive note, I'd recommend Cl. Iceberg. Although we don't have the heat you do, it just seems indestructable and so reliable.

• Jeannie Cochell
    14 years ago

I wouldn't advise CL America and Don Juan together, either. I put Sombreuil with CL Angel's Face and they looked AWESOME together but CL Angel's Face succumbed to heat after a couple years. Now I've got Night Owl on the other side of the arbor and, fingers crossed, it'll continue to look beautiful.

Many of the David Austin roses do very well in the low desert. Prospero and Golden Celebration are a couple of favorites, as is Abraham Darby and Graham Thomas. I really like Molineax, too. Tamora is a great bloomer but she pretty much shuts down when we hit 100 every day.

I love my OGR's and chinas and recently started collecting a few polyanthas. Can't just grow one type of rose but I'm still hesitant on singles, lol. A heat-stressed bloom will often result in a single or semi-double bloom so my garden is full of singles during most of the summer months.

• gnabonnand
    14 years ago

It would be a shame to garden in Dallas without the antique bourbon rose, 'SOUVENIR DE LA MALMAISON'.
    It's a time-less beauty and, once establised, relishes our harsh climate when given sufficient water.
    Many portions of the country can not grow this rose as satisfactorily as we can ... it's one of the great perks of living here.

Randy

• jont1
    14 years ago

I wouldn't select Mr. Lincoln for a hot zone as the blooms do suffer badly in size and will burn to a crisp here.
    Double Delight and Moonstone would also make good hot zone roses I think.
    John

• growing2010
    14 years ago

I would like to know if MOONSTONE would have a better color if protected from the sun, or if it is a fullproof hot weather rose.
    Thank you.

• jont1
    14 years ago

My Moonstone is in full direct sun and it seems to have little to no affect on it at all. Even during the heat of the summer my Moonstone continues to bloom heavily with big colorful flowers so long as it is kept watered well.

I use a drip irrigation system on all of my rosebeds and 300+ roses and it does a fantastic job of watering and doesn't get the foliage and flowers all wet. Wet foliage is a sure fire way to end up with lots of BS and PM on your roses especially if they are wet during the nighttime hours.

Once in a while I give them all a good spray to wash the dust off, but it has to be early in the morning so the roses have time to completely dry prior to nightfall. This method really keeps my BS and PM issues in check.

Also, by using the drip irrigation from DripWorks I can attach an EZ-FLO Fertilizer Injector to it and fertilize my roses while watering them as well. This is a huge time and labor saver for me and like I said, my roses love it.

I had a master rosarian visit my gardens last year and he accused me of using steroids on my roses because they were all so big and healthy!!
    John

• growing2010
    14 years ago

Hi John and thank you. About the drip irrigation system, I was wondering if I can convert from regular sprinklers to drip irrigation in the future. The reason I don't do it now is because I don't know where the roses are going to end up since I don't have landsacaping yet. Also, I am afraid that drip systems are more fragile and that I might break it while walking around between the plants... am I mistaken?

• luxrosa
    14 years ago

If I lived in Texas I'd grow these 3 roses:
    'Susan Louise' which was bred for Australian climates, by an Australian rose breeder. It has very large blooms of pink and cream. It is one of the best blooming roses in California, and where I live near Oakland, it blooms from April through spring, summer and autumn and into late December. Its' fragrance is yummy though light, and I had a bloom on my bedside table that kept me up half the night because I kept wanting to smell it over and over again.
    I've also grown 'Sombreuil' and 'Crepescule' and they also do well in 90 degree temps, here. Both 'Crepescule and Susan Louise' are Old Garden Tea type roses, and Sombruiel is believed to have both Old Garden Tea and Bourbon rose in its breeding, photos of these can be seen at helpmefind.com/roses under search.

Best wishes for choosing a rose that will bring you great joy,
    Luxrosa

• licoriceandme
    14 years ago

I lived in So. Cal. near Palm Springs. Very hot (over 100 degrees every summer) and sometimes snow in late winter. All my roses did fabulously. I had two 'Social Climber" roses. I also have forgotten how to add pictures, which is a shame. By the third year the roses covered the 7 foot wide trellis and were higher than the 6 foot fence. In April they were covered with roses. When the sun hit the roses they glowed. It was beautiful. This rose also rebloomed but not as heavily. I also had a "Fame". An excellent rose that kept the blooms for weeks! I had a "Tanellis" that grew twice its size and covered itself with gorgeous orange blossoms the year I moved! These also did well in my very hot climate: 'Bewitched' - grew 6 feet tall! huge flowers / "Lace Cascade" and "White Eden" - both climbers, 'Honey Perfume' small golden yellow, 'Candy Strip' - pink striped, 'Feisty', and 'White Simplicity'.

• dana12
    14 years ago

I live in CA (over 100 degrees every summer too). My best choice from my three years experience is: Gemini, Marilyn Monroe, New Zealand, Brass Band, Opening Night, Ingrid Bergman, Black Magic, Touch in Class, Arizona, Classic Beauty, Beloved, Chris Evert, Whisper, Moondance (fl.), American Classic, Peace, Our Lady of Guadalupe, Brandy, Cherish, Olympiad, Magic Color, Trumpeter, Gingersnap and climber Pinata. I love them all. Sorry, I don't know how to post my pictures.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    14 years ago

jont l - Where did you buy your EZ Flo fertilizer injector?

I live in East Texas and grow a variety of roses. Several of the Buck roses are doing really well for me: Bright Melody, Do Si Do, Dorcas, Golden Unicorn, Prairie Sunrise, Prairie Star, Polonaise, Prairie Breeze, Winter Sunset, Pearlie Mae, Quietness, Prairie Square, the Countryman, Honeysweet - I have others that are first year roses that are looking good.

Climbers: Crepuscule, Clair Matin, Allister Stella Gray, Lamarque, Rev d'Or, Peach Silk [not easily found now], Dortmund, America, Candyland, Fourth of July, Roberta Bondar, Compassion

Hybrid Teas: Tahitian Sunset, Nicole Carole Miller, Alecs Red, Crimson Glory, Queen Elizabeth

Floribundas: Wild Blue Yonder, Purple Heart, Honey Perfume, Gingersnap

Shrubs: Outta The Blue, Chuckles [esp. like this one!]Cadenza, FJ Lindheimer

Austins: Tess of the d'ubervilles, Molineaux, Belle Story, Lady Emma Hamilton, Miss Alice, Sister Elizabeth, Lady of Megginch, Blythe Spirit, James Galway, Pegasus, Scepter d'Isle, Sophys Rose

There are so many good teas, chinas, etc. Impossible to list them all.

• kruggkahn
    7 years ago

has anyone had experience growing Climbing Eden in the Carolinas, does it repeat bloom?

• barbarag_happy
    7 years ago

On my big arbor in my Dallas area garden I had Reve d'Or on one side and Buff Beauty on the other, with Perle d'Or in the bed behind it one one side and Abraham Darby and Westerland on the other. All these roses are SO fragrant and most of them repeat well too.

About fifty feet beyond that arbor against my back fence I had Mermaid and Fortune's Double Yellow; they covered about 30 foot. I've never lived anywhere warm enough for both varieties and I am so glad I had the chance!

• barbarag_happy
    7 years ago

Many of the recommended old garden roses are available in Dallas area nurseries which carry roses from Antique Rose Emporium. Antique Rose Emporium is well worth a trip; down in Brenham north of Houston. You can stop at Blue Bell ice cream which is in the same area!