Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Low growing rugosa

Posted by thorn_grower Zone 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 12, 10 at 13:46

I've been growin Henry Hudson for 8 yrs. Its grown into a 4 ft.high by 6 ft.wide bloom machine. I'd like another rugsosa with the same habits in a red/purple any rugosa roses come to mind with anyone.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Low growing rugosa

It would help if you knew how you keep Henry so small. Every single one of those I've seen has been in the 6 ft+ category.

o

Well its definetly 6ft, but wide not tall. I love this rose for its growth habit. I'd order another but my house is light grey/white brick. I don't think it would show up well. As always, Thnx so much for your helpful input. :-)

o

Have you looked at Jen's Munk?
Mine is five feet tall by about four feet wide. It's been in that location for three years after being cut back and transplanted. In its old location it was the same size but too large where it was.
Jen's Munk on left.

o

• Posted by simcan z5b/Toronto (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 13, 10 at 13:33

Have a look at the Pavement series of rugosa hybrids, and in particular the Purple Pavement.

I mistakenly got this rose when it was not blooming and was nestled in with a bunch of Roseraie de L'Hay (which I thought I was buying), but I kept it and am impressed. Lots of very fragrant bloom, great purply red colour with deep yellow centres, and the height will be what you are looking for (2.5 to 3 feet though mine is not there yet), if not the width (but you could get two and let them grow together, or just wait for suckers).

As an aside, Karl, great lawn!

o

My 'Rugosa Magnifica' has always remained quite small: it has yet to exceed 5 feet wide and 3.5 feet tall. It is a rich, deep magenta/purple with excellent fragrance. It offers modest repeat (like most of the "purebred" Rugosas) but is otherwise an excellent medium sized Rugosa for difficult climates. For a medium-light pink, 'Belle Poitvine' comes highly recommended as well.

o

The pavement roses have relatively small habits for rugosas but some do sucker a bit, so check them out first.

o

Karl I already have Jens Munk and it gets really big. I use it as a privacy screen. Mines 10 yrs old. But it does pump out the blooms. I really like it. Thnx for the pics your place looks great.
Thank you all for your time and sugestions I'll look them all up..

mark

o

David Thompson is a pinkish-purple (more pink than purple) that stays about 4 foot in my climate (my Jens Monk is taller at 6-7 feet). David Thompson will sucker, but not to the point where it is difficult. I have a 3 year old Purple Pavement that is still at 3 feet around and no suckers yet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Musings Blog

o

o
RE: And now thanks to HMF I learn that

Jens Munk & Henry Hudson are both seedlings of crosses between Schneezwerg & Fru Dagmar Hastrup.

:)

o

Fru Dagmar is a 5' footer for me and nearly as wide.

I came across across a red ground cover Kordes the other day while browsing will try to find it again.

o

There is a new hybrid rugosa hybridized by Chuck Bock you might want to look at. The name is Sniffer. It is beet purple with a white eye and extremely fragrant. The description says it gets about 3 ft. tall in Minnesota and fairly broad. It won an ARS trial grounds gold medal a couple of years ago and got a 9.4 rating its first year on Roses in Review. You have to contact Chuck to see about getting one, but it might be worth the trouble.

o

How dare you offer such a suggestion without supplying the contact information?

o

The red rose is called Rote Max Graf listed as a ground cover but is suggested to be better as a climber, 13x8'. I guess that doesn't fit the bill unless grown as a GC!

o

Years ago I had three Charles Albanel that were low, beautiful color and smelled really good. They were lost in the neglect of my first few years on my own - literally overgrown with low brush, and stomped on by the guys that came to cut the brush...

o

Sorry about that, Karl, but I didn't have that info available. However, I just looked in the Combined Rose List and found his phone number. Chuck Bock Roses International in South Burnsville, MN, 952-890-6752.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here