Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
harmonyp

Twilight Zone?

harmonyp
12 years ago

I've been looking for a dark purple deeply fragrant rose, and was never impressed with Ebb Tide due to it's small and quickly faded to smokey gray pedals.

Just came across Tom Carruth's 2013 Twilight Zone. Wondering if anyone has yet seen or grown it?

Comments (17)

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    12 years ago

Ebb Tide was a bust for me too in my area. Seems like only the west coast got a dark purple color. Here it was more of a cerise/magenta. Reminded me a bit of Rose de Rescht. Whatever, it was not purple. I see that the description of Twilight mentions the magenta color, but shows a more dark purple colored bloom in its picture. I want the color in the picture, not another Ebb Tide cerise. At least the bloom size of 4-5 inches is better then Ebb Tide. Personally I want to hear a garden report from someone on the color in zones other then the west coast before I plunk down my bucks. I will say that amidst the new introductions, Twilight Zone is one of the few that "reads" interesting at least......Maryl

• Glenburn
    12 years ago

Unless I am wrong Twlight Zone has 'Ebb Tide' as a parent. I might have read HMF wrong.

• judyok
    12 years ago

The best dark purple I've grown so far is "The Prince". I planted a second one I love it so much.

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    12 years ago

I hate buying "purple" roses only to have them be a different color. Funny how different regions are like that. My "The Prince" turned out pink. :/

Midnight Blue was actually purple for me though. My old plant died and I may have to replace it. Loved the little flowers, but wish they'd have lasted longer.

• flaurabunda
    12 years ago

I have Ebb Tide and Night Owl, which are both bright magenta during the heat of summer. Right now, both are a deep, deep purple and staying that way; no fading to grey or pink. Temps are currently in the high 50's to low 60's, and into the 30's overnight.

And yep, Glenburn, HMF shows parentage of Twilight Zone as Ebb Tide and Della Reese. :)

• kittymoonbeam
    12 years ago

Rosemania is selling this as a sneak peek rose as it won't be available until 2013 other places. Looks beautiful.

• TNY78
    12 years ago

The closest I've come to a deep purple is Rose du Roi a Fleurs Pourpres or maybe Bergundy Iceburg....my Ebb Tide is also a purple/magenta fusion. However, Blue River is very purple for me, but its a lighter shade of purple.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    12 years ago

I had to take a second look at Route 66 this October at the Tulsa Rose Garden. It was as close to purple as I've seen on the older blooms. The new blooms had more magenta in them but they must quickly change color to the deep purple as that was the color of 99% of the blooms on the multiple bushes. I've heard of this Weeks rose, but never gave it a 2nd thought as a purple. The pictures on HMF are fairly accurate showing the various shades of color. I tried to look it up in the 2011 ARS selecting roses guide book, but didn't see it listed. Wonder why? Is it not registered?.........Maryl

• roseseek
    12 years ago

Have any of you tried Blue for You yet? It is as variable as any of the "purple" roses and a whole lot more "blue" than any of them here, but I'm in California. Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue for You

• flaurabunda
    12 years ago

Last I saw, it was impossible to get. I've been lusting after Blue For You for a couple of years but I thought that only Cliff was offering it, and he'd been sold out when I tried to get one.

I see it's available across the pond....does anyone stateside offer it?

• kstrong
    12 years ago

Blue for You:
    CCRS rose auction next weekend has it. And we'll even grow it for you for the winter and send it in the spring if you prefer. It makes really good sprays here, and I love this little rose too. It's quite vigorous and roots fairly easily.

Twilight Zone:
    I've been growing its parent, Della Reese, for many years here now, and I think it is an excellent rose --very vigorous, nice purple color and no mildew. So I expect that its offspring Twilight Zone (the new one) would be equally good. The improvement is probably in the blackspot arena, as I see Carruth is intro'ing this one nationally, and I don't think he would have done that without some blackspot testing. I did hear that Della Reese was not good for blackspot, and that's why it never became a national introduction for Weeks, but rather an "Armstrong exclusive" meaning only available in California, where the blackspot is not so much a problem. Anyway, I ordered Twilight Zone as soon as I saw it, from S&W Greenhouse, who is also carrying the "sneak peek" roses.

Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: See CCRS Auction list for Blue for You

• Terry Crawford
    12 years ago

Wisconsin Roses offers 'Blue 4 You' as a maiden. I ordered one last year.

• roseseek
    12 years ago

You might also contact Vintage. They received EuroDesert's stock and may have some from that source. Unfortunately for us, the introducer saw fit to patent it here in the US. It is a gorgeous rose with very healthy foliage and great scent for me. Kim

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    12 years ago

My 'Ebb Tide' was fairly magenta the first year, but has been consistantly purple since. It does get afternoon shade, which helps to preserve the purple color. 'Twilight Zone' is the one introduction that looks tempting for next year.

• reg_pnw7
    12 years ago

I saw Twilight Zone in Portland in October. Very dark purple, and very fragrant, and pretty clean of disease. The flowers weren't all that big, but they were very dark and very purple and very fragrant.

The Prince isn't purple for me. Purplish red; not quite red, but not really purple either. Purple is a very hard color to define! It can be very red, very blue, or even gray.

• harmonyp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Temptation was too great. Just ordered Twilight Zone from S&W for next February, along with Stainless Steel which I've been wanting for the longest time. I'll report back next year - can't wait!

• steelrose
    12 years ago

As Kim suggests, Vintage is offering Blue for You. (Got one a couple of months ago.)

Yes, here on the west coast Ebb Tide is satisfyingly purple. Nice fragrance too.

Colleen