Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seil_gw

We finished it!

seil zone 6b MI
9 years ago

We did manage to finish winterizing the roses despite the 50 mph winds, lol! We had a slight problem with a blow out last night due to the wind but we got it patched today and everything else is done too. Phew!

{{gwi:340588}}

{{gwi:340590}}

Sleep tight my pretties! See you next April!

Comments (22)

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Wow that looks good. And like a lot of work.

Congrats

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It is a lot of work but we cut the number of pots in half this year so not as much as last years. There are 39 big rose pots in there and 27 seeding 1 gallon pots in between them. That's a full roll of burlap plus another half roll and 20 bags of leaves. The other 9 bags went on the two beds. Hopefully it will be enough for them to make it through winter.

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

That looks great, good job! I know you are glad to be done.

• roseblush1
    9 years ago

Looks really good.

Smiles,
    Lyn

• rosybunny
    9 years ago

Congratulations, Seil!! I love to see meticulous work, your garden always looks that way.

Sending good-night kisses to your little darlings~~~ I hope my roses can have a restful cold winter too!

• iris_gal
    9 years ago

Thank you for the picture. I'm impressed.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    9 years ago

Seil - I'm impressed too, it looks great and I look forward to seeing your beautiful roses in 2015!

• buford
    9 years ago

Good work! I am glad I live where I don't have to do that, LOL.

• mendocino_rose
    9 years ago

Good for you(and your roses) Seil.

• susan4952
    9 years ago

so nice and neat. i could tolerate looking at this until spring.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    9 years ago

Congrats seil!

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you everyone! I do try to make it look acceptable because it's going to be like that for at least 6 months. We have no fence and live on a busy street. There's a stop light in front of the house so I like the yard to have at least a little curb appeal for the people stopped at it even in the winter. Now that it's all buttoned down we can start putting up the Christmas decorations!

• SylviaWW 9a Hot dry SoCal
    9 years ago

Seil, I am so impressed by your labors and the pleasing effect they've produced. I used to live in Iowa and remember seeing gardens "dressed" like yours for winter.
    It's also great to see posters' actual homes. I feel as if I've been invited over for a visit. Thanks for the tea and cookies:]
    Sylvia

• ogrose_tx
    9 years ago

Yes, that most definitely looks like a LOT of work! However, it will pay off for you, and look forward to pictures next spring.

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! You know what the hardest part is? Lifting the pots in! Once all the pots are arranged putting the burlap and leaves on is a cinch! The biggest job in the spring isn't getting the pots out though. I love uncovering each one and saying hello to them. The big job is cleaning up the mess from all the leaves!

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    9 years ago

Seil, it looks so professional! I wish your roses a dormant winter and a great spring wake up.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    9 years ago

Congrats Seil! Looks good!

• buford
    9 years ago

Seil, I see one of these in your future! I am thinking of getting one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pot lifter

• lesmc
    9 years ago

Great work! And I do mean work!!!! What we all won`t do for our roses!! My poor roses must fend for themselves. I do try and top dress the beds with chopped leaves later in December. We all wait for spring. Lesley

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you guys!

Buford, that's going on my Christmas list!!!

• Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    9 years ago

Seil, I hope you have a more mild winter than last year. Your toughest rose survivors remain, so I hope they'll be okay.

• rideauroselad OkanaganBC6a
    9 years ago

Hi Seil,

You were ahead of me this year. I hope you have an easier winter for your roses than last year.

I finished mine yesterday. Same as last year, pots in the unheated cold room, plants in the garden wrapped in straw and then covered with light recycling bags. I had the best cold climate rose garden, with the most cane survival ever last year, so we shall see if my unorthodox method works as well this year.

We got our Christmas tree today and will decorate tomorrow. Gardening done till late March now. Just cyber roses for the next few months.

Cheers, Rick