Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kittymoonbeam

Huntington Roses Fall 2014

kittymoonbeam
9 years ago

The Huntington rose beds keep getting better. The weather has been in the 70s and the roses were happy about that. A few days later we even got some rain!

Comments (37)

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

They are making sculptured stumps for two of the beds. Julia Child got one.

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Some more of the fine work of the sculptor who is restoring the supports in the rose garden. Each one is unique and interesting to look at and it will be even better as they age and get more color

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

All the leaves were looking so good and the plants are covered with flowers

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You know how I love this High Society plant. The colors a little off in this picture

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

beautiful Dublin Bay

• jerijen
    9 years ago

I heard from Tom Carruth the other day -- saying that one of the unidentified Found roses in the garden was blooming -- under a Study Name, with the source listed.

Turned out, it is a twin cutting to my 'Mme. Lombard' ('Lambard') -- from the same family plot, in the same cemetery. So, if you go to the Huntington, you can visit the Madame.

Jeri

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It seems like the iceberg hedge looks like this no matter when you go. I finally got to see knockout plants everywhere when we visited Northern Kentucky and bits of Indiana and Ohio. Yes they are everywhere but they were all blooming too. Its like that here with iceberg and pink iceberg.

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

sweet smelling Huntington Rose

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The view from the Mansion is nice. They are reducing grass areas all over here because of drought but I'm glad they kept this area of lawn for now

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Karen Blixen is just a wonder every time I see a blossom but my camera never can get it without ruining the white color. This rose can make the prettiest flowers any time of the year

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pink Chiffon also has delicate colored flowers and super fine buds fit for a princess' wedding

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jeri, here's the Champneys Pink cluster you asked about before. It's growing back very well and almost everything in the antique garden had blooms. The plants there are getting thick and bushy

Maybe the plant was cut back to rework the cement support behind it. That's exiting about your rose and theirs being from the same mother plant.

This post was edited by kittymoonbeam on Mon, Nov 3, 14 at 14:54

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ville Du Roeulx

I don't know this rose well but it was in full stride that day

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

DA Charles Rennie Macintosh

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

John Waterer

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Anthony Meilland

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

fanfare

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

City of San Francisco

Congratulations on the World Series win

• dove_song
    9 years ago

Kitty, thanks sooo much for sharing The Huntington rose beds with us! :)

• jerijen
    9 years ago

KITTYMOONBEAM SAID: "Jeri, here's the Champneys Pink cluster you asked about . . . "

Thanks! It looks GREAT. That's an old plant, and well-established, so being cut back, in that environment, didn't injure it. I do love the new "pillars." They add a lot to the look of things, and they seem right for the setting.

Yes. I'm really glad that the Huntington still has some Found Roses. They had many of them, in the past -- so it's part of the tradition of the garden. And 'Mme Lombard' is such a California sort of rose --- turns up ALL the time in old gardens and cemeteries -- it's appropriate.

Here is the mother plant, on the Standeford family plot. You can see just one bloom showing -- but this was on the 30th or 31st of October.

Jeri

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Nice photos, kitty_moonbeam! We were there are couple of weeks ago. The roses looked great. We saw Tom Carruth walking around and talked to him a bit. He said the two new faux-bois planters will have--and I can't remember now--'Party Girl'? Something + 'girl' roses arching out of them. Help me with the name--'Flower Girl'--?

• SylviaWW 9a Hot dry SoCal
    9 years ago

Fantastic! I've got to get myself over to Pasadena asap. I think the first Tuesday of the month is free - ?
    Sylvia

• iris_gal
    9 years ago

Love the sculptured stumps!

'High Society' is a knockout. It looks like it produces laterals. Something about that color against our blue skies lifts the heart.

• thonotorose
    9 years ago

Wow! What a treat. Thank you.

• jerijen
    9 years ago

'Flower Girl.'

It's a good rose. Glad Tom is adding it.

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I wondered if something was going into the stumps. The concrete is so fresh so I wonder if they will have to do something special before they plant in them.

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Belle Story

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    9 years ago

I'll put them on photobucket soon so I can put them up in one post, but here's one of Madame Berkeley from my recent trip to the Huntington:

Jay

• bellarosa
    9 years ago

Beautiful roses! Thanks so much for the stunning photos. I needed it today - it's cold and cloudy today in Chicago.

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I keep trying to catch the early and mid century roses in bloom. Also I saw koko loco for the first time and I liked the color better in person than from pictures.
    Here's the front of the tea room in the rose garden. They do take reservations if you are planning a visit. There's a little grill& patio in back if you want something less formal.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

It's really very lovely but I confess I'd like to see more old roses since this is not a modern building. I imagine teas, Chinas and polyanthas would do very well there, along with SdlM and its sports. Old-fashioned climbers like Reve d'Or, Lady Hillingdon and White Maman Cochet would be very romantic. They many have some of these of course. I surely hope so.

Ingrid

• jerijen
    9 years ago

WOW, Jay -- that 'Mme. Berkeley' sure doesn't look like my 'Mme. Berkeley'!! (See att.) I don't see any of the pink tones. What sort of weather was it?

Jeri

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    9 years ago

It had much subtler pink tones than the rose in your picture, Jeri. It was probably in the low 80s or upper 70s. Warmer than by the coast for sure. I personally like the Madame with or without strong pink tones, so I was very smitten with its appearance that day. My mom's plant has typically shown more pink.

Here are some more photos from the Huntington:

Francis Dubreuil

{{gwi:313474}}

Mrs. R.M. Finch

{{gwi:340628}}

La Jolla

{{gwi:340630}}

Julia's Rose

{{gwi:340632}}

{{gwi:340634}}

La Reine

{{gwi:340637}}

An open Mme. Berkeley

{{gwi:340640}}

Mme. Jules Bouche (Sorry for the poor picture, but it gives a good idea of the habit)

{{gwi:340642}}

Gruss an Coburg

{{gwi:340644}}

Dainty Bess

{{gwi:340646}}

{{gwi:340648}}

And Sunshine which is in a container with me, but I picked it up at the Fall Plant Sale. What a great fragrance! It really does seem like a mini-William Allen Richardson.

{{gwi:340650}}

Jay

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Jay, I agree re. 'Sunshine.' It loves heat, so it really came on strong, this brutal summer. You want to grow this one where you will pass by it often, for the fragrance floats on the air.

JeriJen

• Kippy
    9 years ago

I have never been to the Huntington and would really like to some time this month.

Anyone want to meet there?

Weekends, and my sons random day off are the only times I am free-usually his day off is Thursday but that can change

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kippy, you will love it. They opened another section of the Chinese garden so now you can go all around the little lake and see the pagodas and bridges from other views. My roses are still going so I would guess theirs are too. Pasadena got spared from the nasty wind.

There is a very good bakery called Fredericos on the East side of Allen Ave. ( the street that leads into the Huntington's main gate) If you are using that street to reach the 210, you will pass right by it. It's on the right side on the corner as you come out of the neighborhoods .

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I went to the open house at Sherman Gardens today

This is Spice Twice

Below is a link to a tour of the Sherman today

Here is a link that might be useful: Today at the Sherman