Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nsdjohn

2014 Save the Roses! Auction - time to place bids

nsdjohn
9 years ago

The 14th annual Save the Roses! Auction of Rare and Unusual Roses is now open for Online Bidding. The yearly auction is held by the California Coastal Rose Society and its purpose id to help preserve the genetics of roses, which may be in danger of disappearing. All proceeds are invested back into the production of hard-to-find roses. Over half of the 300 plus roses offered are not available from any other sources.
While it is held the second week of November in Carlsbad, CA, online bidding was added 3 years ago. The society is happy to hold roses until Spring for those in colder climates. We appreciate the donations and support from rose lovers all over the country!

Here is a link that might be useful: CCRS Auction

Comments (10)

• roseseek
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The bloom John posted is Art Nouveau, a smallish shrub with two to two and a half inch flowers. In the Los Angeles area, it is without ANY disease year round, with NO chemical or other treatments to prevent them. It flowers continuously and is VERY fertile, both pollen and seed. I have raised some lovely, very healthy offspring from it. (hint, hint!). I've loved this rose for the two-plus years I've grown it. Kim

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Kim, what off spring did you breed?

Any guesses on in CA shipping costs per plant?

• roseseek
    9 years ago

Oh, Kippy, there are a number of seedlings out back with Art Nouveau in them and MANY seeds in the refrigerator to be germinated next year using it. Kim

• kittymoonbeam
    9 years ago

I would have called it Zinnia Rose. Really fun flower

• kstrong
    9 years ago

THE CCRS 14th ANNUAL RARE AND UNUSUAL ROSE PLANT AUCTION IS NEXT WEEKEND.

Here are further details:
    Saturday, Nov. 15th and 16th.

The power point presentation of roses featured in the SILENT PORTION of the Auction by our distinguished authorities will begin on Saturday at noon. Our Speakers for Saturday, November 15, 2014, are Ping Lim (Hybridizer Altman Plants) at 12:00 noon; Burling Leong (Hybridizer Burlington Nursery) at 1:00 PM; Jill Perry (Curator San Jose Heritage Rose Garden) at 2:00 PM; Dr Keith Zary (Hydridizer Spring Hill Nursery) at 3:00 PM; Bob Martin (Hybridizer, Author, ARS Master Rosarian) at 4:00 PM and Cliff Orent (Hybridizer, Author, ARS Consulting Rosarian and past owner Euro Desert Nursery) at 6:30 PM (after dinner).

Our Speakers include 5 Hybridizers, 2 Nursery owners, 1 Curator of an important public garden rose collection, 1 Master ARS Consulting Rosarian, multiple ARS CRs and multiple prolific Authors.

Dinner with the Speakers will be at 5:00 PM. Several seats are left. Make your reservations via the website or email me. Each diner orders just what he/she wishes and will receive his/her own bill.

On Sunday we will hold the SILENT AUCTION from 10:00 AM to noon. We will have volunteers with special knowledge of the plants offered on the floor to attempt to offer advice for those who seek it while they are shopping.

At noon the Bidders will take a break for the next hour and a half for a leisurely lunch while all available CCRS members will help with sorting.

The LIVE AUCTION will take place Sunday from 1:30-3:30 PM. Keep in mind that the minimum bid in all parts of the Auction is $1. Payment is by cash or check.

The Auction may be accessed online at CCRSAuction.com. Online bids for both the live and silent auctions are accepted up to 12 noon on Friday, Nov. 14th, and will be acknowledged by a confirmation e-mail. On Sunday, November 16, 2014, our Proxy Bidders will attempt to obtain plants for online participants, as if they were spending their own money -- plants will be sold to the highest bidder, but only at around $1 over the next highest bid, so even if you bid high over the internet, you are protected from overpaying if there are no other bidders.

We will mail plants purchased to warm climates within 2 weeks and special arrangements can be made online for those living in areas with a winter for delivery next spring. With the help of many, John Bagnasco has assembled over 300 really wonderful hard to obtain, rare, endangered and sometimes unique plants. I am certain that you will find something to suite your taste.

Please take a moment to check the offerings on the website. We have linked the listings in the auction with the HMF page for that variety to assist you in learning about these roses. We have also provided a form for internet bidding at the beginning of each list of roses to be auctioned, that should be e-mailed to us no later than Friday, Nov. 14th at 12 noon (PDT) if you can't make it to the auction in person. I do recommend coming in person, however, since we always have more roses available than bidders, and many bargains will be available, It is up to you to do your research ahead of time so that you know it when you see a bargain! Internet bidders also get their share of bargains, but some of that is ultimately eaten up by shipping costs, which we ask each internet bidder to pay at our actual cost for shipping (no "handling" fees -- we volunteer for that).

See you then,

Kathy Strong

Here is a link that might be useful: video of prior CCRS auction

This post was edited by kstrong on Sat, Nov 8, 14 at 10:07

• bethnorcal9
    9 years ago

I put in some bids a couple days ago. I hope the shipping isn't too high, especially if I win bids on most of them. Yikes. LOL

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    9 years ago

I thought the same thing Beth. I didn't bid on too many just in case. lol

• nsdjohn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I wouldn't worry Beth. UPS shipping in CA is extremely reasonable. Good luck on your bids.

• Kippy
    9 years ago

I would love to email or fax back my bid sheet, but how would one do that?

• Kippy
    9 years ago

I found it. The info is on the bid sheet