Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A Trip to the Bay. Morcom/Garden Recommendations?

Posted by ArbutusOmnedo 10 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 19, 13 at 14:43

Hey y'all,

I'm taking a trip to the Bay today through the weekend and was wondering what gardens or even nurseries would be worth my while to check out during the afternoons this week.

Is Morcom worth visiting this time of year? I imagine it would still have some blooms. We sure do here in So Cal. I've never been, but I don't want to go at an unrepresentative time of the year.

My sister lives in the Outer Sunset by Golden Gate Park, so I'll probably walk through the Botanical Gardens there with her and visit the de Young Saturday.

I picked a time to visit so that I would be able to enjoy the weekend and week nights with friends and family, but take a few mornings and afternoons to appreciate some of the flora and museums in the area I didn't fully appreciate or get around to seeing as a Cal student a few years ago. I look forward to your suggestions!

Jay

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A Trip to the Bay. Morcom/Garden Recommendations?

If the San Jose area is possible for you, don't miss the San Jose Heritage Rose Garden, part of Guadalupe Park and Gardens, on Taylor, in San Jose.

If the Sacramento City Cemetery is possible for you, (1000 Broadway, Sacramento) it is a heaven of Old Roses. I saw it first at this very time of the year, and it was a watershed experience.

Morcom, I am told is all modern roses, so I'd be interested in the house, but not their roses. I have enjoyed the replanted rose gardens at the Empire Mine State Park (same family that built Morcom) and love that.

Jeri

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 20, 13 at 0:01

Filoli.

o

Thanks Hoov -- I said "Morcom," but MEANT Filoli.

Morcom, I have not visited.
The San Jose Heritage Rose Garden, however, is a place I truly love. (See below.)

Jeri

o

My favorite by far is the UC Berkeley Botanical Garden, which is where I first discovered my love of old roses. It's beautiful and fascinating, and since it's in a hilly area you even have a glimpse of the ocean. If I could visit only one garden in that area, this is the one I would choose.

o

Thanks y'all!

Tomorrow I am going to the UC gardens. It's the only one mentioned abve that I visited as a student, but I was not an avid rose grower then, so I imagine it will be of more interest to me now. I had been recommended seeing Fivoli in the Spring as opposed to now by a friend who has been multiple times. I don't know anyone who has been to Morcom, but it sounds intriguing and I may try to slip it in Saturday, time willing. I never would've guessed there's a 7 acre rose garden by Lake Merrit, but what do I know?

I WISH I could make it down to San Jose, but that's almost certainly not going to be possible this trip. Ditto as regards the Sacramento Historic Cemetery.

I ended up at the SF Botanical garden today as opposed to Saturday and it was quite impressive. Not a rose garden by any means, but some wonderful types of flora I had not seen before. There was a heavenly smelling Mrs. Oakley Fisher and a very lovely Reve d'Or in bloom there today though.

Jay

o

Duplicate Post

And Oakely*

This post was edited by ArbutusOmnedo on Thu, Nov 21, 13 at 20:42

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here