Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
canadian_rose

help me with rose list :)

canadian_rose
10 years ago

I'm thinking of getting these roses. But these are what I'm looking for:

1. ZONE does not matter. I overwinter them in the garage.

2. I want fragrance, fragrance, fragrance - but not myrrh.

3. I want a rose that has a nice amount of flowers.

These are my choices

1. Acapella
2. Anna Pavlova
3. Dame de Coeur
4. James Biddle
5. Jessica
6. Yves Piaget
7. Lucille Ball

I'm getting Yves Piaget for sure. I love that rose and it was left outside (couldn't get it in the garage) overwinter and died.

If you think I should get all of them - that's just fine.

Thanks!
Carol

This post was edited by canadian_rose on Wed, Nov 13, 13 at 15:15

Comments (15)

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

Wow - my hat is off to you, and everyone else who goes to all of that effort to have roses in really cold climates.

Have you looked your list up on Help Me Find/roses? Just google it - since you know the names, you can search and find descriptions and lots of pictures of each one.

Jackie

• canadian_rose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, I have....still struggling with my choices. :)

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    10 years ago

I wish I could offer advice but love looking at the pictures to get ideas for the next order. Where are you planning on ordering from?

• canadian_rose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm placing orders from
    Pallantine,
    Pickering and
    Hortico.

Love, love ordering roses!!
    Carol

10 years ago

I agree!!!! I think to be fair I need to order a few from Hortico. Are all your roses in pots?

• canadian_rose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, I have 48 roses in large pots already. We have a triple car garage with two cars in it.
    My husband is talking about buying metal, sturdy shelving so we can add tons more. hee hee :)

• canadian_rose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh well.... :)
    I already ordered all of the above - I have no patience - just giddy with excitement. :)

Actually, I didn't order Lucille Ball - that's with another order center. Anyone like this one (or not)
    Thanks,

Carol

• sara_ann-z6bok
    10 years ago

Carol - Those are some really lovely roses. I've never had any of them, but they all look like winners to me. I noticed several are fragrant, that's always a plus. I'm sure there are others who know if they are good selections. Hope you enjoy the selection process.

10 years ago

Holy, that is a lot of pots....they charge upwards of $60 each for large ones here....i can't imagine.

Then again I am almost finished building a room in my shop so I can over winter roses.....man we are addicted.

I do know the giddy feeling I hit confirm order twice yesterday and am still smiling....

Have a great night

SCG

• canadian_rose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

SCG - Pots here (resin) I get from Costco. They're $30.00 each. But, yeah...I know $$$

Building a room...$$$ LOL We ARE nuts!!

Yeah, and when you order from 3 different places - it's even more fun. Not to mention all the research, etc. How sweet it is!

Sarah-Ann - I'm hoping they're ALL fragrant. :) That's what I was going for. :) They sure are pretty though!!
    Carol
    Carol

• bethnorcal9
    10 years ago

JAMES BIDDLE is a wonderful rose. Mine grows to about 5ft tall and maybe 2.5-3ft wide. The blooms are very interesting. I like how the coloring is darker on the outer part of the bloom, and lighter in the middle. I can't remember if it has any scent or not. Disease resistance is pretty decent and repeat is good.
    {{gwi:341349}}

{{gwi:341350}}

My LUCILLE BALL is old and nearly died on me, basically due to crappy watering practices a few yrs prior. When she was in her prime, she was gorgeous!

ANNA PAVLOVA doesn't do all that great, but she's own root and in a spot where I wasn't keeping up with weeding and fertilizing. When she has bloomed the blooms were nice.

Now, is that JESSIKA with a K you're talking about? If it is, she's a wonderful rose. Stays about 4ft by maybe 3ft and the blooms are just beautiful. And repeat is pretty good.
    {{gwi:341351}}

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Beth, these roses are lovely, but I particularly like James Biddle, a rose I've never heard of. I'm going to check it out--but why did they name such a stunning rose after a banker? I guess he must have liked roses. Diane

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

James Biddle is gorgeous! I'm not familiar with that rose but will certainly look it up now.

10 years ago

Carol,

I most certainly wouldn't be building the room if it wasn't for already having the materials to do so. The most expensive thing I had to purchase was a specialty thermostat.

What size are the pots you get from Costco?

Beth,

Those are some stunning roses that I am adding to my wish list.

SCG

• canadian_rose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Beth - James Biddle!!! GASP - your pictures are wonderful!!!! Oh, I'm glad I ordered it. And Lucille Ball has potential - that's great to know - I don't know much about it except that Digger Dave (once upon a time here) loved that rose. Hmmmm Anna Pavlova - so-so rose. Well, I'll give it a whirl and see who she grows. No, it's supposed to be Jessica with a "c."

SCG - Hubby says about 22" X 17" (WxH) Glad that I helped add to your addiction :)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH