Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jim1961_gw

Easy Does It rose

Hi all!

Just wondering if the "Easy Does It" rose is living up to it's hype of excellent disease resistance in your gardens?

Thanks!

Comments (61)

• particentral
    13 years ago

Thank you! I need to add that a pine limb fell from the tree around the plant about 8 weeks ago and broke a good portion of it off..almost half of it in fact.....it was bare root in April.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    Original Author
    13 years ago

particentral,

I remember you mentioning that failed tree limb in another thread awhile back.
    Your "Easy Does It" did not slow down much from the tree limb by the looks of your pics! Again, great pics!

• kentstar
    13 years ago

Thanks Jim, very helpful info on the 9/11 rose.
    And, the Easy Does It is gorgeous too! I love those ruffled edges!

Cathy

• particentral
    13 years ago

What I find the most fascinating about this rose is that it attracts people like crazy. They see it and go over to look closer. One of my elderly clients begged me for a corsage out of it because it was so unique. ALL of her friends were jealous. I think out of the 60 varieties I have at work (I think that is right) that Easy Does It and VAVOOM attract the most attention. People will often stop and ask "What is the name of that rose and where can I get it?".

Original Author
    13 years ago

particentral,

What i'm trying to accomplish here is I want people to see they can grow other roses besides knockouts without spraying. Only roses that do well here without spraying will stay in our garden.
    So, i'm always on the look-out for attractive roses that may do well here without spraying.

And certain roses draw people like a magnet. lol
    So, thanks for your comment on this rose attracting people!

• simcan
    13 years ago

Agreed about this rose catching people's eye: as I just mentioned in an earlier thread I have had people knock on my door to ask about this rose, which has flowered very heavily and constantly in its first year. Healthy foliage too and a nice, upright bushy habit.

Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Simcan for your input!

• sweetmichelia
    13 years ago

Here is a pic from my Easy Does it rose.
    {{gwi:341429}}

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    13 years ago

I love the scalloped petal-edges. 'Yves Piaget' does this too.

Original Author
    13 years ago

Very nice sweetmichelia, thanks for sharing your rose pic!

• User
    13 years ago

yes, i really like frilly edges (Jaqueline du Pre, English Miss, Valentine Heart are a few which spring immediately to mind).

• particentral
    13 years ago

OK, I wanted to add this in. Last week I deadheaded this rose, thinking it would be the last time thus year due to our cooler temps and it IS November after all.....It was a new rose this year, broken in half by a limb, IN A POT (gasp) and I removed over 30 spent blooms. This morning I was picking up some trash in the parking lot and DARN if the rose isn't covered in new buds! I counted at least 20 new blooms on the bush this morning before saying to heck with it!

It blooms more than any rose except my Belinda's Dream "hedge" which are AGAIN covered in buds (but there are 7 of them).

Original Author
    13 years ago

particentral,

Sounds like a bloom machine. lol

Original Author
    13 years ago

Everyone,

Thanks for all the input.
    I did pre-order Easy Does It for next Spring.
    Going to give it a try here.

• jim_w_ny
    13 years ago

Just checked in my older (2007)Combined Rose list and find it to be a Harkness rose that introduce good stuff. Then I don't see it offered by Pickering who normally stick to roses hardy in at least Z 5. Might be a caution there for you. beautiful flower the kind I like plus fragrance!

Original Author
    13 years ago

JIm,

I'll be buying it own-root and I'll protect the crown if needed.
    It should do just fine.

• harmonyp
    13 years ago

I came very close to buying this rose today. It was in full bloom, and covered with attractive blossoms that smelled lovely. But there were two reasons why I didn't buy it. 1. The canes were very thin leading to 2. they really were not strong enough to hold the blossoms, which on a few canes had bent down to the ground. I have previously read this as part of the review of this rose.

After coming back without the purchase and reading this thread, wondering if it might be worth overlooking these issues anyways.

• daveinohio_2007
    13 years ago

Our Easy Does It did not have thin stems in 2010.
    We bought another one this yr.

• particentral
    13 years ago

No thin stems here either.....I love this rose and would by another (if I had room......)

• harmonyp
    13 years ago

Clearly passion behind this rose. I'm sold. Question - think I should go get the lovely and quite healthy, but thin caned Easy Does It I found knowing its canes will grow. Or find another with thicker canes? Thanks!

• seil zone 6b MI
    13 years ago

My Easy Does It did not suffer from weak stems at all last season. Straight stiff stems (say that three times fast) and tons of beautiful blooms! It did get some black spot though. Sigh, in my garden they all seem to...

• particentral
    13 years ago

If you can find it I say get it. It will strengthen fast and my small plant last year survived a falling pine tree branch, so they are tougher than they look with their ruffles. :) I really want another one......where do you live?????? Maybe I can beat you to it! LOL

Original Author
    13 years ago

Our Easy Does it rose should be delivered in May.
    Can't wait to see how it does...

• saldut
    13 years ago

Mine is blooming nicely now, gorgeous... but in my no-spray Fla. humidity-central garden it B/S's all summer, but I have it next to Julia Child and she hides EDI when it sulks... she is a bloom machine all year-round and I plan on getting several more... grafted on Fort. from K&M Roses..... sally

• particentral
    13 years ago

Isn't that odd? Here in SW GA we are as humid as it can get and yet my JC is not anywhere near as clear as my EDI and grows smaller, fewer blooms and I would give her away. Year 2 with both, same yard, same everything. Must be the difference in the BS that is present. I assume that there are different strains depending on where you live.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    13 years ago

My 1st year plant got hit pretty hard by our abnormal below zero temperatures last winter. Right now it's a 50/50 shot of whether or not it will take off again. Oranges and yellows always seem to be more tender then other colors here. I was very impressed with it last year, and if it doesn't make it I may replace it......Maryl

• jenkins_21_osu_edu
    13 years ago

I wasnt aware this rose is not hardy in zone 5. Mine did just fine in a pot stored in the garage all winter. It's already leafed out and I expect to see buds very soon. Love this rose!

Original Author
    13 years ago

particentral,

Yes, it's probably partly due to the difference in strains of BS in each of your gardens...

• simcan
    13 years ago

Hibi, this rose is perfectly hardy in my Toronto 5b garden...no winter protection beyond a few Christmas tree boughs around the base and it is leafing out beautifully.

• campbellms
    13 years ago

My buds opened up this week and definitely worth the hype for what they look like...Glad I bought this

However, I was expecting some fragrance based off what I read. If it's there it's very faint....

Ed

• particentral
    13 years ago

Mine has fragrance. It is not there until they are mostly open but its there. And I love this rose........have I said that before???

• echinaceamaniac
    13 years ago

This is my new favorite plant! Here it is with Nepeta "Walker's Low."

{{gwi:204454}}

Original Author
    12 years ago

Our "Easy Does It" is suppose to arrive the 1st week of May. The soil needs to dry out some before I plant though.

Original Author
    12 years ago

Our "Easy Does It" rose arrived from Heirloom today. I went ahead and planted it... It was a nice sized band for Heirloom. 10" high with many leaves.

Original Author
    12 years ago

We have a no-spray garden and our "Easy Does it" rose bush failed already. It was covered in BS and Anthracnose disease in it's first year here so I SP it!
    Guess it did not like our strains of fungus...lol

• strawchicago z5
    12 years ago

Jim1961: I would love to have your rejects - LOL! Can you dig it up from the garbage and send it to me? I'll do some experiments on your "Easy Does It", like dunking it in horse manure, dust with corn meal, force-feed banana peels, and give it a good spanking. Ha! Ha!

Original Author
    12 years ago

Strawberry,

My friend that lives 3 miles from me usually takes my rejects.
    But the next time I have a reject I will think of you...lol
    Never thought of giving them a good spanking...lol

• lainey2 VA
    12 years ago

I planted two Easy Does Its in May 2011 one grafted from Lowes and one from Chamblee on its own root. Both have done beautifully. They are planted next to two Living Easys which have lost most of their leaves, but Easy Does it is gorgeous. The grafted one is still covered with blooms and healthy foliage, the own root mostly health foilage with a few blooms. Of course this is year one. We will see next year.

Original Author
    12 years ago

All I can say is "Easy Does it" just is not resistant to our strain of BS or ANTHRACNOSE fungus strains.
    Varies from garden to garden.

• particentral
    12 years ago

It is still one of my favorites. Huge plant, allways in bloom, even with less than ideal water flow to it and no spraying on that side of the garden either! She is with St Patrick and heaven on earth, and none of them are sowing down, even in the long term 100 degree heat we had this summer.. LOVE IT and want another one.

Original Author
    12 years ago

Glad to hear that about "Easy Does it" particentral!
    It must grow well in your region of the country...

• canadian_rose
    12 years ago

Reblooms really fast. Terrific rose. But fragrance??? Really??? :) I'm only going to overwinter (in garage) my fragrant roses. So I'm probably not going to keep this rose. Does the fragrance get better the next year?

Carol

• Kenneth zone 7A - Southern Middle TN
    4 years ago

Evelyn and sweet Juliet you must run and purchase the minute they release them .

• hugogurll
    4 years ago

The serrated petals show up more in spring. Constantly in flower.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    4 years ago

Wow hug, what a perfect representation of Easy does it. It is honestly one of my favorites.

I have one in a pot that I just found a space for in the front yard. I know it will be much happier with the other orange and purples.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    4 years ago

Wow! I did not realize this is such a frilly feminine rose. So pretty and great pics!

• sara_ann-z6bok
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Some of my EASY DOES IT pictures.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    4 years ago

S-A, all your bushes have so many flowers. Jealous!!!!

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    4 years ago

My goodness that is so pretty