Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lambertus123

moving roses from a warm zone to a cold zone

lambertus123
10 years ago

My wife would like to take roses from our Sarasota, FL rose garden, put them in pots and re-plant them in Brunswick, ME Can this be done or will they die?
All roses have been bought locally (FL) and have been in the ground 1.5 to 2 years.

Comments (7)

• Karolina11
    10 years ago

Do you know if your roses are grafted on Fortuniana root stock? They often are in Florida and I doubt it would be hardy in Maine.

This post was edited by Karolina11 on Sun, Nov 10, 13 at 19:36

• dwpc
    10 years ago

I moved some small rose bushes from So CA to N Az (cold winter) last year. 4 of 5 survived and bloomed this year, but was a lot of work and hassle and I wouldn't do it again unless the rose was irreplaceable.

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    10 years ago

lambertus123,

Welcome to the forums, I am sure you will get much better detailed help if you can provide the names of the roses. Regardless I don't see harm in trying. Worst case scenario is you have to buy new ones, *shucks* LOL.

Have a good night,

SCG

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

When is this move taking place? If it's right away then you'll probably have to keep the pots in a garage or shed until spring before planting them. Depending on what roses they are and what root stock they're grafted on they should adjust over the season. When you plant them make sure you plant the grafts deep, about 4 inches below ground.

• wirosarian_z4b_WI
    10 years ago

The hardiness or lack of hardiness is in the genetics of the rose. This is why I can mail order a rose from a warm weather vendor/propagator & have it grow in my z4 area. As Karolina11 pointed out the wrong root stock, & as seil pointed out moving during the winter months may be the issues that will give you problems in the move. If your roses have the ability to be grown in z5 (Brunswick, ME zone?), you should be able to move them if the noted problems can be avoided.

This post was edited by wirosarian on Sun, Nov 10, 13 at 21:28

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

If you can post the names of your roses, we can tell you which would not be hardy in ME, and then you could avoid the trouble of moving those ones, and only move the ones that have the possibility of surviving in your new garden.

Jackie

• ken-n.ga.mts
    10 years ago

I say, "give it a try". When I moved from S.E. FL. to the N.E. GA. mountains I brought 17 roses with me. All on fortuniana rootstock. I was told they would all die. The first winter up here was COLD (5,7, and many teens with strong winds). I lost 5 roses that winter but the rest are still going strong after 5+ yrs. All you can do is give it a shot. Just winter protect them the best you can.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting