Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
moving roses from a warm zone to a cold zone

Posted by lambertus123 none (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 10, 13 at 14:56

My wife would like to take roses from our Sarasota, FL rose garden, put them in pots and re-plant them in Brunswick, ME Can this be done or will they die?
All roses have been bought locally (FL) and have been in the ground 1.5 to 2 years.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: moving roses from a warm zone to a cold zone

Do you know if your roses are grafted on Fortuniana root stock? They often are in Florida and I doubt it would be hardy in Maine.

This post was edited by Karolina11 on Sun, Nov 10, 13 at 19:36

o

• Posted by dwpc 7 - N Arizona (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 10, 13 at 15:26

I moved some small rose bushes from So CA to N Az (cold winter) last year. 4 of 5 survived and bloomed this year, but was a lot of work and hassle and I wouldn't do it again unless the rose was irreplaceable.

o

lambertus123,

Welcome to the forums, I am sure you will get much better detailed help if you can provide the names of the roses. Regardless I don't see harm in trying. Worst case scenario is you have to buy new ones, *shucks* LOL.

Have a good night,

SCG

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 10, 13 at 18:25

When is this move taking place? If it's right away then you'll probably have to keep the pots in a garage or shed until spring before planting them. Depending on what roses they are and what root stock they're grafted on they should adjust over the season. When you plant them make sure you plant the grafts deep, about 4 inches below ground.

o

The hardiness or lack of hardiness is in the genetics of the rose. This is why I can mail order a rose from a warm weather vendor/propagator & have it grow in my z4 area. As Karolina11 pointed out the wrong root stock, & as seil pointed out moving during the winter months may be the issues that will give you problems in the move. If your roses have the ability to be grown in z5 (Brunswick, ME zone?), you should be able to move them if the noted problems can be avoided.

This post was edited by wirosarian on Sun, Nov 10, 13 at 21:28

o

If you can post the names of your roses, we can tell you which would not be hardy in ME, and then you could avoid the trouble of moving those ones, and only move the ones that have the possibility of surviving in your new garden.

Jackie

o

I say, "give it a try". When I moved from S.E. FL. to the N.E. GA. mountains I brought 17 roses with me. All on fortuniana rootstock. I was told they would all die. The first winter up here was COLD (5,7, and many teens with strong winds). I lost 5 roses that winter but the rest are still going strong after 5+ yrs. All you can do is give it a shot. Just winter protect them the best you can.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here