Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nsdjohn

Did you win anything in CCRS Auction?

nsdjohn
9 years ago

Thanks to everyone who helped make the 14th Annual Save the Roses! Auction the best ever! Every one of the 325 roses was sold. Winning bids were as low as $3 for Charlie Brown and $325 for Simsalabim and $250 for Flash in the Night! The speakers on Saturday were phenomenal. We have begun collecting for the 2015 Auction and already have 150 on hand. It's good to see how many people are concerned with preserving the genetics of scarce roses.

This post was edited by nsdjohn on Tue, Nov 25, 14 at 15:02

Comments (5)

• Kippy
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I got the one I bid on, Elfin Charm.

Thank you for all the work that was put in to the auction

• ms. violet grey
    9 years ago

What rose is pictured?

• roseseek
    9 years ago

When would you like material for propagating goodies for next year, John? Kim

• nsdjohn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The rose pictured is Quicksilver bred by Jack Christensen. It was a variety that was an exclusive in 1985 for Michigan Bulb Co. It was almost lost, until Tom Carruth at Weeks mentioned he had been keeping a plant for breeding purposes. A nice 2G plants sold in the auction for $55.
    Kim, I can take hardwood cuttings after Jan 1 and budding material in May. Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Quicksilver

• roseseek
    9 years ago

Quicksilver, Silverado and Plum Crazy were all Armstrong creations which got caught up in the Moet to Bear Creek sale fiasco. All three were pretty much Armstrong Garden Center exclusives for two, perhaps three years. Plum Crazy was the first to become available through Armstrong Garden Centers due to what they described as a "field error". Reportedly, the fields of Quicksilver and Silverado were plowed under in error, per what the local Armstrong Garden Centers stated at the time. When I finally found Silverado and Quicksilver plants, they were even worse than the Plum Crazy plant I initially bought. The bud unions were not well "engineered" and Silverado, the weaker of the three, was actually double budded to produce a Grade 1 plant. All three suffered similar "defects" in my Newhall garden. All three had very tender foliage which fried easily in the sun and hot wind in comparison to the other twelve-hundred-plus roses planted on the same hill, same soil and same culture as they were. I didn't spray anything other than water due to not desiring exposure to any chemicals, the ever present wind and heat, wild life and the fact the garden was inside a planned community with many residents wandering through every day. Hundreds of other varieties grew and flowered acceptably, but none of these three could maintain foliage which didn't demonstrate regular heat and sun damage. All were beautiful, when they were beautiful, but the colors and flowers hated the aridity, heat and sun so I seldom found really good flowers on them much of the summer. In cooler ends of the season, they could be breath taking and all were very well scented. The later Christensen creation, Fragrant Plum, was a significantly more vigorous, productive and durable plant and flower, with every bit as much scent and none of the heat issues the earlier three demonstrated. Royal Amethyst, put out at about the time of Fragrant Plum, also performed much better than the intial three and had much more durable foliage and flowers. The only other really "silver" HT that was as fragile and virused as Silverado was Buck's Silver Shadows. All were commercially budded plants on Dr. Huey and all were planted in the same bed, in the same garden so I could more easily compare them against one another. Silverado and Silver Shadows were just too fragile in every way with very fleeting flowers. Quicksilver and Plum Crazy were the next least durable in all plant parts. Eventually, only Royal Amethyst and Fragrant Plum remained out of that bunch, with more reliable, durable, heat and sun resistant types replacing the "offenders".

John, please take a look at my HMF garden list for anything you might be interested in. Putting in the request earlier (as in like right now) rather than January is better as there is a tremendous culling under way to significantly reduce the quantity of plants I have to water. Waiting too long will likely result in things not being available. Thanks. Happy Thanksgiving! Kim

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor