Houzz Logo Print
henry_kuska

Nespaper article - Philanthropy blooms from rose's success

henry_kuska
10 years ago

Comments (3)

• kstrong
    10 years ago

Really nice article. Not the same one as posted in the other post, but it concerns the same donation.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

Great story, thanks for the link.

"And he has 1,600 rosebushes packed into less than a quarter of an acre in his backyard."

:^)

• joshtx
    10 years ago

That's great for him! I'm glad to see he is using his success to give back. We need more people of such character in the world.

My only issue with the article is that the remarks made are so critical of roses, saying they have a "well-deserved finicky reputation," and that they, "require weekly spraying."

Not I, say my antiques. Cramoisi Supeurieur, Duchesse de Brabant, Crepuscule, Souvenir d'Elise Vardon, none of them have a speck of disease on them or require coddling. And they have fragrance to boot, unlike Knockouts. Rattled my cage a bit there. I sincerely hope people begin to understand there is more to roses than just Hybrid Teas.

If this negative belief continues to be propagated because rose growers will not branch out and grow roses which inherently have disease resistance, form, and fragrance such as Rugosas, Teas, Chinas, and Polyanthas, then the general public will continue to believe roses are not worth the time and we will see more small nurseries collapse like Vintage. Then we will have no choice but to buy from places like J&P which use pesticides and fungicides like life support to keep their roses alive enough to bloom.

It's a shame, really.

Josh

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource