Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kingcobbtx7b

Munstead Wood/Lady Shallot/Lady Emma Hamilton/orPrincess Anne

kingcobbtx7b
10 years ago

I am debating between these 4 rose for next year. I have read really good things about 3 of them, and Princess Anne just looks very different from most Austins.

Munstead Wood-I have read great things about, but I already have Ebb Tide, Falstaff, and Twilight zone which bloom their heads off for me so not certain this color would add much....

Lady of Shallot--Intrigues me a lot, closest color I have to it would be Easy Living which makes a much smaller bloom.

Lady Emma-Also intrigued, but I have two Lady Hillingdons-a bush and a climber so again afraid of color similarities.

Princess Anne-Like colors, but haven't seen much about how good she does, other than having a lack of scent.

The other concern I seem to have about all 4 of these is they seem to top out at 3-4 ft. Most of my roses are much larger than this. I am looking to add something to the garden that contributes something new, but will definitely not disregard an exemplary rose just because of repetitiveness. So if there is another Austin ya'll would reccomend by all means let me know. I live near Galveston Texas on the Upper Gulf Coast.

If it would assist, here are my current roses:

Austins:
2 Graham Thomas
1 Heritage
1 Falstaff
1 Scepter D'Isle
Non Austins:
2 Belinda's Dreams
Don Juan
Golden Showers
In the Mood
Lady Hillingdon
Lady Hillingdon Cl
Ducher Rose
Olympiad
Easy Living
Easy going
Chrysler Imperial
Stainless Steel
Nacodoches Rose(Sorry Texas A&M I refuse to call it Grandma's Yellow)
Grande Dame
Love Song
Tahitian Sunset
Legends
Julia Child
Peace
Memorial Day
China Doll
Lasting Love
Serendipity
Ebb Tide
Twilight Zone
Yellow Lady Banks
America Cl
Rosarium Uetersen
Sexy Rexy

Comments (9)

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

Who says they "top out at 3-4 feet"? In a warm climate like yours, most Austins get taller than Austin or even HMF say - sometimes MUCH taller. Your best advice on that is to find someone who grows them near you and ask what they really do in your climate.

Jackie

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

caldonbeck, thank you for the gorgeous photos. I'm really beginning to wish I'd ordered Munstead Wood instead of Young Lycidas. Lady Emma Hamilton is really beautiful, even to someone like me who is not hugely fond of most apricot-colored roses.

• kingcobbtx7b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the comments. I am also considering Tess of the D'Ubervilles or Spirit of Freedom if anyone has any experiences with those.

• amberroses
    10 years ago

Lady Emma and Munstead get sulky in the heat of summer here in Florida. They go semi-dormant. Queen of Sweden is a good rose in the heat. The plant keeps all its leaves through the summer. That's pretty excellent in my garden. These are also "tolerant" of heat in my garden-Windermere, Wollerton Old Hall (wants to be big), Jude the Obscure, Alnwick Rose, and James Galway.

• caldonbeck
    10 years ago

not a fan of tess. She throws up long octopus arms even here in the UK.

• kingcobbtx7b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks I ended up finally deciding to order Lady of Shallot and Princess Anne.

Munstead Wood lost out because I wanted a flower with a higher petal count and Reagan doesn't actually carry LEH.

• caldonbeck
    10 years ago

Good choices.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    10 years ago

I am near you - about 3 hours from Galveston in east Texas. I love my Tess. I have her on a huge fan shaped trellis - she has very healthy foliage and lots of nice blooms. Two of my favorite Austins are Carding Mill and Abe Darby. Wollerton Old Hall, new for me last year, does get really big, don't find the blooms fragrant like Austin says, but they are pretty. Sophy's Rose is a really good one - healthy foliage, lots of big pretty deep pink blooms. Bishop's Castle is good. Lady of Shallot looks to be big. I have quite a few new ones that are healthy and growing - they will do better next year. Great big for me are James Galway and Scepter d'Isle - like them a lot. I have Lady Emma and Munstead Wood planted where they get full sun until 2pm - hope they like it there. I really like Ambridge Rose too. Love the blooms on Jude......mine is very small though. I am getting another Young Lycadis - my chickens were scratching in that bed and killed it. The color is a different, brighter looking pink that I really like. Englands Rose was new for me last year - it started off looking and blooming fantastically.....then it starting dawdling around. Am hoping it will get going again in the spring - it was really nice. I want to try Princess Alexandra of Kent - have heard good things about it.

Do any of you all plan to try the new Austins? I want Boscobel, The Lark Ascending.......not sure about the others.

caldonbeck, the photos are fabulous!
    Judith