Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cast1_gw

Can Roses Really Get This Big?

CAST1
11 years ago

Snooki put this picture up on Facebook, and I was wondering if some crazy hybrid can actually get this big. Roses don't grow well in the AZ heat so I don't really know about them.

Comments (27)

• roseseek
    11 years ago

They are florist roses. They're called Ultimate Roses. Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Ultimate Rose

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    11 years ago

The price is even bigger than the roses. No thank you. In this case I don't feel that bigger is better.

• mirendajean (Ireland)
    11 years ago

My initial reaction was "those are fake roses". They just didnt look right to me. However, I visited the link that Kim provided...I can appriciate the novelty value of such roses, I would be tickled if my sweety purchased 1 for me. If he paid for a dozen I would have serious words with him.

A big Yeah for novelty value but I'll stick to my nornal(ish) roses. :-)

M

• Maude80
    11 years ago

I wonder what they do to get the stems so long. Maybe super fertilizer???

Maude

• kittymoonbeam
    11 years ago

Frederick Mistral gets a good sturdy long stem and probably smells 20 times better. I had some that when cut came up to my waist when the vase stood on the floor. That's tall enough for me and no nasty chemicals to worry about.

• buford
    11 years ago

I once watched one of those 'How they make it' shows and it was on florist roses. The roses are grown in a greenhouse type environment. The workers wear hazmat suits and spray the bejesus out of them and they get constant liquid fertilizer. They cut them when the stems get to 10 feet and then they get all cut down to what you see in the florist shop. It was very interesting, but not the kind of roses I want.

• Campanula UK Z8
    11 years ago

Nooooooo, tacky beyond belief.
    My eyes strayed down the page (thanks Kim - sound of ironic hollow laughter) to gawp at what looked to me like a couple of apples and pears, a handful of nuts and some crackers.....for more than I spend on a weekly foodbill. Are we really in a recession or is it just me and everyone else I know?
    Clearly, Ultimate roses are pandering to the 'one percent'.

• User
    11 years ago

Whats a Snooki?? Should I be spraying to avoid getting any in my garden??? LOL

• roseseek
    11 years ago

Oh, Lordy! You don't want a Snookie! I've heard they're antibiotic resistant! Kim

• kittymoonbeam
    11 years ago

As long as were on super-sized roses what are the biggest HTs?

Medallion is large for me but does not have a sturdy stem. Yves Piaget is the same story. Memorial Day is the biggest rose on a straight sturdy stem that I grow.

• roseseek
    11 years ago

Great Century, with up to 8" flowers, just not very many of them. Many can produce 6" flowers, but I've not encountered any which are regularly as large or larger than this. Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Great Century

• harmonyp
    11 years ago

I look at that photo and think, "what's the point?".

Spraying for Snooki's. Fabulous!

• roseseek
    11 years ago

You and I are not of that "aesthetic". It's the same point as growing fruit in square, lucite boxes so you have Asian Pears and melons in perfect cubes; spending $35 a STEM for a lavender rose which contains tens of millions of dollars investment in genetic engineering to BE "blue", but can't express it; spending hundreds of dollars on a dessert because it is sprayed with REAL gold. As Campanula stated, they pander to the 1%. To my mind, "conspicuous consumption" meant to impress people whose impressions mean little to nothing to me. Kim

This post was edited by roseseek on Fri, Nov 30, 12 at 19:49

• ken-n.ga.mts
    11 years ago

Louise Estes give me constant long stems with large flowers. Plus it smells good. No problems getting 30"+ stems. Cutting 20" stems for a vase doesn't butcher the bush.

• bart_2010
    11 years ago

Tacky beyond words...both reality show "people" and giant OGM "roses". bart

• jaspermplants
    11 years ago

I don't know about this strange picture, but my roses get very large in the Phoenix area. Let's see, Paul Neyron is at least 8 feet tall. Tipsy Imperial Concubine is at least 5 feet tall, and I thought it was supposed to be small! I could go on and on. Roses will grow well here, but struggle during the summer (as we all do!).

• minflick
    11 years ago

I would love to see a picture of them growing in the greenhouse. I bet they look pretty strange, and you'd need a raised boardwalk to SEE the blooms. I agree - what's the point?!

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    11 years ago

I happen to go along with Mirendajean. I think as a novelty item they are kind of neat. What is their point? What is the point of climbing a mountain, bungee jumping, football? No point. It's just for fun...Maryl

• kittymoonbeam
    11 years ago

I thought the DA florist roses were expensive until I saw the price for these oversized HTs.

• Maude80
    11 years ago

Here is a video of a commercial rose grower. It's interesting how mechanized the whole industry is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4fzBycxkeM

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    11 years ago

That was an excellent video. Thanks for posting the website.....Maryl

• susan4952
    11 years ago

Ick. Who are these people?

• lagomorphmom
    11 years ago

"Just because you can, doesn't mean you should."

You may quote me ;-)

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    11 years ago

I need to take a photo of this rose at a home that is not lived in close to my house. It is yellow, might be a Sunbright, but apparently it has been there for years. I am pretty sure it is a hybrid tea. It, literally is a tree. I have never seen anything like it. The house is just a little frame house, but whoever got that rose started must really have cared for it well. In the summer, it is blooming yellow roses all over. I have long said I would go photo it.....but just never have. I would really like for you all to see it - its really amazing. I will try to find some time to go gets some photos of it this week and post. Not sure how tall it is, but I bet 20 ft. or so.

If Snooki gets sprayed, wonder if they could get the Kardashians while they are at it.....

• roseseek
    11 years ago

Alameda, is there enough spray for them all, and would you use fungicide or insecticide? Kim

• fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    11 years ago

I think a generic "PEST-icide" would be called for :P

• roseseek
    11 years ago

I'd be afraid it would require something strong enough to require State licensing. Kim